Need advice re:amp - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

 4Likes
  • 4 Post By roadie13
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 15
Need advice re:amp

First I have read so much regarding speakers and amps etc and everyone has different advice well here goes for me. I have a 17 RGS and have just purchased a pair of Rokker XXR 6.71 speakers for an upgrade for the front. Haven't heard much about these here but willing to try. My plan is to upgrade front first and later put in some saddle bag speakers but I need recommendations with specs for an amp. taking into account the two rear will be future don't know when. Want to do highway and still hear quality music.
Really appreciate any input
Thanks
kwcommando is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcommando View Post
First I have read so much regarding speakers and amps etc and everyone has different advice well here goes for me...............Really appreciate any input
Thanks
The good news about the forums - there's a ton of information. The bad news about the forums - there's a ton of information. The ugly news about the forums - sound is just so stinking subjective. What sounds great to one person sounds ok or bad to someone else and there are so many choices and combinations out there it's easy to make your head spin. Looks like you're already figuring that out so you're ahead of the game.

You said any input, so I'll be brutally honest.

I ran JM stuff when I first started dabbling in audio and pulled it out after a few months. I'm no expert, but I've tried many combinations and do a ton of homework before I buy anything. I will never run JM audio in my bike again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone that asked. Some guys will flat out tell you it is crap. There are guys that swear by it. I will tell you it's not crap, but it is way way overpriced for what you get. Do some searches here and on the other forum and decide for yourself. A lot more votes for crap than good stuff. To my ears it falls between Boom Stage 1 and Boom Stage II. It's louder than Stage II, but Stage II sounds better to me. At higher volumes and speeds they are tinny to the point of harsh on my ears. To me the exponentially cheaper infinity Kappa 62.11 get just as loud and sound better at speed. I'd send them back or cancel the order.

As far as amps you already mentioned the important thing - build for the future. The soundstream and CV are decent entry level amps. If you keep the JM speaks that would be my choice because I bet it doesn't stay in the bike until the end of the season and you can sell the amp for a few bucks and put it towards a new system. Move up in price and you're looking at arc audio 600.4, biketronics if adjustability isn't important to you (at least until the new one comes out, the 4250 will be an absolute beast), upper end fosgate stuff, the new focal fdp sport, and the JL audio stuff is real popular (all of that listed in no particular order). The trick is getting something with enough power to push 4 speakers that matches up well with your speakers. A lot of the 4 channel amps are being used by guys to get big power bridged and don't really excel at true 4 channel ops. I run a micro 4V2 bridged and love it for fairing speakers, wouldn't even consider it in 4 channel mode, not enough oomph.

Lastly, my approach is buy once cry once. I've done everything from cheap to high end. Buy a good amp and you won't be disappointed. You may swap speakers a few times finding what sounds good to your ears, but money spent on a good amp will never be wasted.
bikepsych, Brewiz, madmat and 1 others like this.

Freedom isn't free, remember to thank a vet.
2018 CVO RG lava orange, 117 Stage 3, 14" F47 and a few chrome extras. Boom crap gone.
2016 RG Special Cosmic Blue, 120ST with Dragos 2:1 and TTS tuner, FBI drop seat kit and JNR air ride. Stock audio long gone.
roadie13 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:58 AM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 8,021
Garage
I run the Soundstream 520 D. With 4 Infinity kappa's .5x7" up front and 6" in the lowers. This system sounds decent and plays loud. Best of all ,it's very affordable. I been running this system for over 3 yrs and only had to replace 1 speaker.

Like mentioned above. There are much better systems out there, but what are you willing to spend and how will you use it. I believe you lose a lot of the high fedely over 40 mph . So unless your a city rider or do parking lots ,you waste a lot of what the higher end systems got to offer buck for bang. JMO.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.
Big_gary is online now  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Life Member
 
bucketlisthd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: W.MA.
Posts: 1,809
I'm also running a Soundstream 520D. I have mine bridged into 2 Arc Audio 602V2 fairing speakers. I think that I paid $106 to my door 2 years ago. It's hard to beat for the $$.

'15 Roadglide Special
'87 FXR 100"
'79 Goldwing cafe
bucketlisthd is online now  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 15
Thanks for the infor Roadie was well written. I just installed the Rokkers and I think they suck bad right speaker rattles and that's just in the garage
Much appreciated
kwcommando is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 07:32 AM
Member
 
beatlesfab4fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: S.E. Mass
Posts: 684
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie13 View Post
The good news about the forums - there's a ton of information. The bad news about the forums - there's a ton of information. The ugly news about the forums - sound is just so stinking subjective. What sounds great to one person sounds ok or bad to someone else and there are so many choices and combinations out there it's easy to make your head spin. Looks like you're already figuring that out so you're ahead of the game.

You said any input, so I'll be brutally honest.

I ran JM stuff when I first started dabbling in audio and pulled it out after a few months. I'm no expert, but I've tried many combinations and do a ton of homework before I buy anything. I will never run JM audio in my bike again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone that asked. Some guys will flat out tell you it is crap. There are guys that swear by it. I will tell you it's not crap, but it is way way overpriced for what you get. Do some searches here and on the other forum and decide for yourself. A lot more votes for crap than good stuff. To my ears it falls between Boom Stage 1 and Boom Stage II. It's louder than Stage II, but Stage II sounds better to me. At higher volumes and speeds they are tinny to the point of harsh on my ears. To me the exponentially cheaper infinity Kappa 62.11 get just as loud and sound better at speed. I'd send them back or cancel the order.

As far as amps you already mentioned the important thing - build for the future. The soundstream and CV are decent entry level amps. If you keep the JM speaks that would be my choice because I bet it doesn't stay in the bike until the end of the season and you can sell the amp for a few bucks and put it towards a new system. Move up in price and you're looking at arc audio 600.4, biketronics if adjustability isn't important to you (at least until the new one comes out, the 4250 will be an absolute beast), upper end fosgate stuff, the new focal fdp sport, and the JL audio stuff is real popular (all of that listed in no particular order). The trick is getting something with enough power to push 4 speakers that matches up well with your speakers. A lot of the 4 channel amps are being used by guys to get big power bridged and don't really excel at true 4 channel ops. I run a micro 4V2 bridged and love it for fairing speakers, wouldn't even consider it in 4 channel mode, not enough oomph.

Lastly, my approach is buy once cry once. I've done everything from cheap to high end. Buy a good amp and you won't be disappointed. You may swap speakers a few times finding what sounds good to your ears, but money spent on a good amp will never be wasted.
Thats about as nice a writeup on that particular brand as I have seen. I'm not so sure I would have been that nice. I'm sorry but it just comes across as snake oil.

You are so spot on about buy once pay once. If I ever decide to swap out my current setup, I will just sock away money and do it up big and be done. LOL (I cant see doing it over again but if that bug bites me I am FUCKED!!!)


Great advice as always,


Mike

15 RGS Vivid Black. Lots of Black stuff cause we all know Black is the fastest color. Custom Dynamics turn signals and PlasmaRods.
A.C.E. powerflex headpipes, and a better than stock stereo.
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. RUSH Freewill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beatlesfab4fan is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcommando View Post
Thanks for the infor Roadie was well written. I just installed the Rokkers and I think they suck bad right speaker rattles and that's just in the garage
Much appreciated
That's not good because they sound way better in the garage without bike running than they will going down the road. Did you mount with adapter rings or straight to the pods? If straight to pods maybe hitting on side of the pods. If they sat flush and are still rattling than sounds like you got a bad set. Is it too late to return??

Freedom isn't free, remember to thank a vet.
2018 CVO RG lava orange, 117 Stage 3, 14" F47 and a few chrome extras. Boom crap gone.
2016 RG Special Cosmic Blue, 120ST with Dragos 2:1 and TTS tuner, FBI drop seat kit and JNR air ride. Stock audio long gone.
roadie13 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Grey beard
 
Brewiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockbridge, Ga
Posts: 1,223
Garage
Have you looked at the Arc Audio M.P.A.K.12 ? It's all plug and play....

2011 FLTRU Vivid Black Wild 1's WO502, Jackpot Headers/Jackpot Slip-ons,Ventilator S/E Breather, PV, Pro Twin Performance 113", Alpine 149BT W/ Ipod , 2 MMats MD4110's , HAT Clarus 6.5's /Legatia L1V2 tweeters & MMats PA601 up front and HAT Imagines in TourPak Pods.
Brewiz is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Newbie
 
joeyzaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Guatemala city, Guatemala. Central America
Posts: 14
Garage
I finished hooking my new amp and speakers this past weekend in my 2016 FLTRXS. I used Sloride suggestions, except for the speakers. I installed a Diamond Micro 2V2 500 w RMS 2 channel amp w/ 2 Hertz HCX 165 6.5" 2 way coaxial spkrs. All I bought extra was the Harley harness from Arc Audio which made the hook up a lot easier. The amp fit easily under the bike's stereo. Rode out this Sunday and enjoyed a clean loud sound.
Only thing I had to do was to modify the the lid where the speakers fit because of the size of the magnets. I cut the back to be sure the magnets would fit. HD models we get here are the European models(metric). I don't know if this had to do with the size of the lids where the original speakers are installed. No big deal.
Awesome sound for a very nice budget. Total under $510.00.
joeyzaza is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 15
Roadie I did only play them in the garage...... winter here and was not pleased with the sound. I am hoping it gets better as can't return, hope sound better with amp. Speakers are not in pods they are fairing ones. I had to drop the base way down so they wouldn't rattle. Fingers crossed
kwcommando is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some Harley 101 re: Willie G skulls Headrope Aftermarket Accessories 10 05-05-2016 10:59 PM
You're gonna need a bigger bike! throttles&triggers *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 11 08-13-2013 11:51 AM
advice needed (re: Clear View vs. Wind Vest) parker420 Windshields 8 05-21-2013 02:54 PM
HD Floorboards need a re-design G *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 17 01-30-2011 08:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome