So, Is the hidden fairing antenna worthless with an amplifier? - Road Glide Forums
Audio List your speakers and audio solutions for the roadglide.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
So, Is the hidden fairing antenna worthless with an amplifier?

I have a new to me, 2012 RG Ultra. It came with stock head unit, stock speakers and the hidden fairing antenna. The sound sucks. So I have been researching to see what you guys recommend and thought I was going to keep the stock head unit and add an amp, lower fairing speakers and new upper fairing speakers. Than I came across a post that said the antenna would be useless with an amplifier. Is this the case? If so, I may have to re think my move. Was thinking with amp and 4 6.5" speakers I could get by around $600. I don't want to be relying on just CD's if the FM won't work.
Maybe for now, I should think about a new head unit and just 2 new upper fairing speakers? Then save up to add an amp and lowers?
Looking for any input you guys may have. Recommendations for Head unit if you think that would be the wise start. Maybe one to get me by until I can do the amp and lowers, without breaking the bank. Not really interested in satellite radio, but could do blue tooth and USB.
I am unsure what to do, don't want to half a** anything but not looking to win any sound competitions. Would be willing to do parts at a time as funds allow but need something so the wife can hear it also cruising the countryside for now (not worried about anything in the tour pack, it will rarely be on)

2012 Road Glide Ultra- Stage 1- Rinehart 4" True Duals

Last edited by Puma1973; 07-02-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Puma1973 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Grey beard
 
Spazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,177
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
I have a new to me, 2012 RG Ultra. It came with stock head unit, stock speakers and the hidden fairing antenna. The sound sucks. So I have been researching to see what you guys recommend and thought I was going to keep the stock head unit and add an amp, lower fairing speakers and new upper fairing speakers. Than I came across a post that said the antenna would be useless with an amplifier. Is this the case? If so, I may have to re think my move. Was thinking with amp and 4 6.5" speakers I could get by around $600. I don't want to be relying on just CD's if the FM won't work.

Maybe for now, I should think about a new head unit and just 2 new upper fairing speakers? Then save up to add an amp and lowers?

Looking for any input you guys may have. Recommendations for Head unit if you think that would be the wise start. Maybe one to get me by until I can do the amp and lowers, without breaking the bank. Not really interested in satellite radio, but could do blue tooth and USB.
Placement of the t portion of antenna can make or break the reception...especially with the addition of an amp.

The best direct replacement for the factory HK head unit is the Jensen HD1BT. Plug and play and all hand controls work... $500

Get a good pair of speakers (Iron 65s) or 2 pair and couple that with our SS4.100 amp and you will be rockin!

Here is a 13 Ultra I did for a customer with same setup... only 6 speakers, not 4... sounds incredible.


Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2015 RGS 120ST | D&D Boss Boarzilla | 4.5" Topshop Ass | Soundz SS4.100 amp, HD-DSP ,(4) Carbon 65's and Iron 69.2's
RENO BAGGER AUDIO
Spazz is online now  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Headrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South of Seattle
Posts: 415
Garage
I don’t have an amp so can’t answer your question. But I do have the hidden antenna in the fairing. I live within 45 minutes of Seattle radio stations but can’t get reception, making me think the hidden antenna is junk.
Mischief and 2stangs8689 like this.

2010 Road Glide Custom, 103 big bore, other goodies.
Headrope is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
Placement of the t portion of antenna can make or break the reception...especially with the addition of an amp.

The best direct replacement for the factory HK head unit is the Jensen HD1BT. Plug and play and all hand controls work... $500

Get a good pair of speakers (Iron 65s) or 2 pair and couple that with our SS4.100 amp and you will be rockin!

Here is a 13 Ultra I did for a customer with same setup... only 6 speakers, not 4... sounds incredible.

https://youtu.be/atgJrmK5CAc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Spazz, I appreciate the direct replacement with the Jensen, but was not really thinking of $500 for head unit. Would there be other options with minimal extras needed to achieve the same thing for much less money? I prefer to put money to the speakers and amp, or is that a bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrope View Post
I donít have an amp so canít answer your question. But I do have the hidden antenna in the fairing. I live within 45 minutes of Seattle radio stations but canít get reception, making me think the hidden antenna is junk.
I currently have the hidden antenna, and while it is not the greatest for reception, it does the job for us. I am just worried about the amp killing it totally, which is what I have read.

2012 Road Glide Ultra- Stage 1- Rinehart 4" True Duals
Puma1973 is online now  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:52 PM
Grey beard
 
Spazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,177
Garage
Well... there are other options... but not a direct plug and play option. I really like this deck for performance and ease of install... everything hooks up and works thr first and every time. I have only done this deck for 98-13... so I cant give you an honest opinion on which other option would be best suited. Plus.. this deck is designed for motorcyles... waterPROOF.. not water resistant... there is a major difference.

Now... you can get a budget-minded 2 speaker system with an amp.. $630 for SS2.150amp and SR65s to start with.. sounds impressive. This is a retrofit I did for a customer on a 2015 Police edition. Granted... not the same deck, but the tune goes with the deck being used.


Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2015 RGS 120ST | D&D Boss Boarzilla | 4.5" Topshop Ass | Soundz SS4.100 amp, HD-DSP ,(4) Carbon 65's and Iron 69.2's
RENO BAGGER AUDIO
Spazz is online now  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Life Member
 
Big_gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: GA.
Posts: 7,919
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
Spazz, I appreciate the direct replacement with the Jensen, but was not really thinking of $500 for head unit. Would there be other options with minimal extras needed to achieve the same thing for much less money? I prefer to put money to the speakers and amp, or is that a bad idea?


I currently have the hidden antenna, and while it is not the greatest for reception, it does the job for us. I am just worried about the amp killing it totally, which is what I have read.
No matter what HU you buy, your going to have close to 5 bills. If you don't go with plug & play ,your going to need handle bar control interface and HU install kit. If you go with a good one like Vtwin sells with rain shield you're going to be over 5 bills.
A lot of guys who want an invisible antenna ,just lay the stock whip horizontally under the seat. There are a few threads on that mod here.
Come up with a. Realistic budget and save and do it once. It will save you $$ and headache over the long run. Class D amps effect the radio signal the most but run the coolest. A/AB run hot but don't seem to affect the signal as bad.

2010 FLTRX , Stage 1, 13" Madstad, Mono tubes, SuperShox, Heritage style bars. Alpine CDE-HD149BT,Soundstream Picasso Nano Series PN4.520 , 5X7 and 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers
If I have to explain ,you wouldn't under stand anyway.

Last edited by Big_gary; 07-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Big_gary is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Member
 
craigffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 696
Garage
I had a hidden antenna on my last bike...it sucked. This works just as good and is way cheaper.




If you want good FM reception put the whip back on the tour pak.
koryu2u likes this.

2019 Road Glide Special/2010 Street Bob
craigffb is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 1,099
Garage
Ive had my Aquatic AV for over 3 yrs, no problems. There was some people posting around the same time I got mine that had problems with theirs. Like I said, I have had zero, and I have the cheaper one.
Been caught in Florida pop up thunderstorms that just dump tons of water in a short amount of time. no problems at all.

Plenty of amp and speaker voices out there from mild too wild. Research brother and you will see what is out there. You can get a dam good setup that doesn't break the bank

2009 Road Glide. 16 in Vindikta Wild Cats. Aquatic AV, Stinger 700X4 to MMatts, Audiopipe horns.
6900pros in the lids w/ sspn.4 1000d, tuned with DD Audio DSI-2. S&S 106, lifters, push rods and AC. Drago 2. CycleRama 575. Progressive monotones -1in. 12in. HD adjustable rear shocks. Painted inner fairing. Tuned with TTS. Blacked out!
phillyfan1 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Life Member
 
08Zinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,978
Garage
I have the hidden antenna and an Arc Audio amp. FM isn't too bad, but I barely get much on AM. Sat radio seems unaffected. Neither is Ipod, thankfully.

Blessings, Zinc -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"But when I leave I want to go out like Elijah, with a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire." Rich Mullins
08Zinc is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 845
Garage
I had the hidden antenna in my '15 RGS before I ever had an amp and it worked pretty well for me. Once I put my Biketronics 4180.14 in, the reception went to crap. It only seems to have gotten worse with time (which I can't figure out), so I try not to use anything but music on my phone.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 FLTRXS - V&H Power Duals w/ Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons - Arlen Ness Big Sucker - BT4180.14 w/Arc Moto 602v2 and Polk MM652 - Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs - Advan Lowers - Freedom Shield 15"
macabra11 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome