Hello to all. I guess since im a few weeks away from being home for good after a long long year in Afghanistan, im gonna go ahead and get a head start on my build blog/thread. The $10k budget came about last summer when I was shopping for a new Harley after nearly killing myself on my 2008 GSX-R 1000 for the umpteenth time. It got to the point to where I just didnt respect that bike anymore and I figure that if you have no respect for a 185 hp, 190 mph rocket that does 9's in the 1/4 mile and wheelies on demand, and constantly buzzing through freeway traffic at 150+ mph
then its definitely time to let it go.
So, I went through a few different bikes as I was shopping, a 2008 Road King Classic and also a 2008 Street Glide, but found both of those bikes to be too expensive. As I was shopping, I was riding my uncles 2009 FLHTP police bike and fell in love with it. He also has a 2004 Road King and just traded his police bike for the street glide.
So, long story short, I went to get a police bike or a street glide and absolutely fell in love with the 2012 CVO "Skunk". I had came up with about $10k cash for down payment and actually put the bike on order. That lasted about 3 months until the old lady found out the cost and said there is no way I can justify paying more for a bike than I did her car (2010 Camry SE), and also that it would be stupid to spend $30k on a bike that I still would have to modify in order to get it the way I like it. So, back to the dealer and I absolutely fell in love with the bike I have now. So, that $10k price difference is where I got the $10k budget and this is where it all begins.
My goal for the bike was to upgrade the stock stereo because it sucks, upgrade the performance because these bike suck ass in stock form above about 4k rpm and also to upgrade the seat and the wheels. So far, I have collected parts and they are sitting in my garage waiting for my attention. The only parts that have been installed are the 4 pt. docking station/sissy bar and the Hells Foundry Ipod Dash. A lot of this stuff will be picked up on ebay and through the forums in order to get as much stuff as I can within the budget. With that frame of mind, I am also expecting to have some stuff that just wont be as described so we'll se on those items when the time comes. Without further ado, here is what I have so far and how much I have paid...
1. $150 Standard height sissy bar takeoff from 2009 road king off ebay
2. $100 4 point docking hardware brand new from same road king off ebay
3. $300 Hells foundry ipod dock dash brand new off ebay
4. $217 new takeoff CVO pipes from 2011 CVO RGU, ebay
5. $300 2012 FLHTP takeoff police seat assy, paid way too much, from ebay.
6. $370 J&M Rokker 500 watt amp, used once at bike rally, from ebay
7. $175 J&M Rokker road glide speakers from same bike above, from ebay
8. $220 Power Commander V, used from 2009 Road King, from ebay
9. $271 Power Commander V auto tune module, new in box, ebay
10. $160 Yaffe Skoowl Fairing, brand new, Yaffe website
11. $150 Wild 1 Chubby Bars mini apes 515, bought from forum member
12. $125 14" Cee Bailey Windshield, bough from forum member
13. $63 H-D Midframe air deflectors, surdyke.com
14. $25 H-D FLTR glove box liners, surdyke.com
15. $30 H-D FLTR updraft deflectors, surdyke.com
16. $55 H-D Repair manual for my 2012, surdyke.com
17. $57 H-D Logo soft lowers , surdyke.com
18. $48 H-D Air pump, surdyke.com
19. $32 SE Pushrod tube remove/install tool, surdyke.com
20. $16 SE Cam spacer kit, surdyke.com
21. $16 SE Magnetic lifter holder tool, surdyke.com
22. $16 SE 10mm Red spark plug wires, surdyke.com
23. $58 H-D Chrome/Rubber collection grips, large size, surdyke.com
24. $240 SE Heavy Breather Kit, chrome, surdyke.com
25. $132 SE Premium tapered adjustable pushrods, surdyke.com
My total so far is about $3,300. I still have to buy my cams, header pipe, passenger pillion for police seat, backrest for police seat, wheels, and some other upgrades. I will update the list as I get more stuff and will start the building and post pics as soon as I get home.