Chinese wheels?!! - Road Glide Forums
Wheels and Tires Section for Roadglide wheels and tires

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 350
Chinese wheels?!!

Long story short. My Bud buys a 21" Reinforcer from Sport Chrome in Cali. A post goes up on another forum describing problems of all sorts with the same wheel. Guy claims the wheel is China made and believes that to be the root of the problems.

My bud calls Sport Chrome to make inquiries before installing his. They assure him that the wheel is high quality and not to worry.

Sport Chrome does tell him however, that his wheel is made in either Italy or China... in one of the two very same factories that produce wheels for Harley Davidson itself.

I am taken back that my sweet new FLTRXS might be riding on Chinese rims, so I start looking around on the web. The only things I can find indicate that Harley has their wheels made in Australia... but what do I know.

I'm hoping that someone here may be able to shed some light on the subject. Thanks much!
V-man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Grey beard
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,255
Garage
Chinese wheels?!!

Yes their wheels are made in Australia

https://prezi.com/m/kyaobsiwqnus/har...ng-with-the-t/
https://nwhog.wordpress.com/2013/07/...daelaid-plant/


Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk

Last edited by ultra98; 01-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.
ultra98 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Grey beard
 
Little Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: oHio!
Posts: 1,265
Garage
a lot of GM wheels are chromed in china, too.
our good ole EPA makes it expensive to manufacture them here.
lotsa chemicals that need to be disposed of properly...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

'18 FLTRX ē '04 BAR HOPPER ē '94 FLSTC ē THE BEST BIKE ...is the one you're on!!!
Little Wing is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Life Member
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,852
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-man View Post
Long story short. My Bud buys a 21" Reinforcer from Sport Chrome in Cali. A post goes up on another forum describing problems of all sorts with the same wheel. Guy claims the wheel is China made and believes that to be the root of the problems.

My bud calls Sport Chrome to make inquiries before installing his. They assure him that the wheel is high quality and not to worry.

Sport Chrome does tell him however, that his wheel is made in either Italy or China... in one of the two very same factories that produce wheels for Harley Davidson itself.

I am taken back that my sweet new FLTRXS might be riding on Chinese rims, so I start looking around on the web. The only things I can find indicate that Harley has their wheels made in Australia... but what do I know.

I'm hoping that someone here may be able to shed some light on the subject. Thanks much!
I bought a laced wheel for my 00 FXR from the MoCo a couple of years ago, and it says made in Italy right on the rim.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thermodyne is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Smokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 315
Garage
I am rolling on a 21Ē reinforcer wheel from Sports Chrome for a year now without any issues. I donít know where they are manufactured but if by chance it is China that doesnít automatically mean they sure junk. Stuff being manufactured in China now days are often times better than the same product manufactuered in other parts of the world including the US. I have construction type equipment (Scaffolding & other related components) manufactured in China and have been for almost 20 years now. China simply builds to their clients specifications using raw materials of their clients choosing. Junk in, junk out. Although Chinese manufacturers have their own testing facilities, quality controls and R&D in place, those controls are dictated by their clients tolerances. We random test our products as they are received here in the US to confirm the quality and those dictated specifications are maintained and I have never found any deviations from what was prescribed. There are a few companies that I know of that are selling this same wheel and I sure they are all coming from the same factory. I would be more interested in documentation confirming the manufacturing standards and that those standards are in line with those adopted by ANSI here in the US, more than I would worry about where the manufacture is located. Itís that documentation you should be asking for and should be made available upon request. The manufacturing processes itself will be proprietary but they should have documents stating there product meets or exceed certain US standards. Honestly, I hadnít thought about it or considered looking into this stuff on my wheels myself but, since you brought it up, maybe I will now.
Smokey is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I am rolling on a 21Ē reinforcer wheel from Sports Chrome for a year now without any issues. I donít know where they are manufactured but if by chance it is China that doesnít automatically mean they sure junk. Stuff being manufactured in China now days are often times better than the same product manufactuered in other parts of the world including the US. I have construction type equipment (Scaffolding & other related components) manufactured in China and have been for almost 20 years now. China simply builds to their clients specifications using raw materials of their clients choosing. Junk in, junk out. Although Chinese manufacturers have their own testing facilities, quality controls and R&D in place, those controls are dictated by their clients tolerances. We random test our products as they are received here in the US to confirm the quality and those dictated specifications are maintained and I have never found any deviations from what was prescribed. There are a few companies that I know of that are selling this same wheel and I sure they are all coming from the same factory. I would be more interested in documentation confirming the manufacturing standards and that those standards are in line with those adopted by ANSI here in the US, more than I would worry about where the manufacture is located. Itís that documentation you should be asking for and should be made available upon request. The manufacturing processes itself will be proprietary but they should have documents stating there product meets or exceed certain US standards. Honestly, I hadnít thought about it or considered looking into this stuff on my wheels myself but, since you brought it up, maybe I will now.
Interesting points. Good luck procuring that documentation if You choose to do so. Better luck to the US companies getting Chinese manufacturers to adhere to the specifications stated in those documents. After all who will regulate, and who will hold the Chinese responsible for non compliance?

Drywall, pet products, children's toys, toothpaste, food, cosmetics... the list goes on and on. A quick google search reveals the unstable quality and dangers of Chinese imports.

If You're good with trusting a Chinese wheel on the front of Your bike... that's cool with me. Are You running a Shinko or Cheng Shin tire with that Reinforcer?
Little Wing likes this.
V-man is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Smokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 315
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-man View Post
Interesting points. Good luck procuring that documentation if You choose to do so. Better luck to the US companies getting Chinese manufacturers to adhere to the specifications stated in those documents. After all who will regulate, and who will hold the Chinese responsible for non compliance?

Drywall, pet products, children's toys, toothpaste, food, cosmetics... the list goes on and on. A quick google search reveals the unstable quality and dangers of Chinese imports.

If You're good with trusting a Chinese wheel on the front of Your bike... that's cool with me. Are You running a Shinko or Cheng Shin tire with that Reinforcer?
If you are the importer, the us legal system considers you the manufacturer because your right, how do you hold the Chinese or any other overseas manufacturer responsible. Itís up to you the importer to regulate what you are manufacturing by conducting your own testing and quality control here in the us. Itís pretty simple really and not any different than manufacturing here in the us or any where else for that matter. If the product doesnít comply its send it back and not paid for. If the factory canít comply or for some reason doesnít care to, then you move on because there are many that can and will. For the most part they get it and work had to conform because they want and need your business. Iíve been to China to visit the factory that manufactures for us and I can honestly say I was very impressed with the workers training, disciplines, quality control efforts and overall opperations in a state of the art factory. But, like any where else there are good factories and bad factories in China.

No doubt there are some bad products coming out of China and else where but, itís the lack of controls and concerns of those companies that are bring those products in under their name that are the problem. Itís more about buying from a reputable company, with a reputation to protect, than where that company does its manufacturing. Again, junk in junk out. Itís not that I trust China, itís that I do trust Sports Chrome.
Smokey is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 350
...again all good points, and I would be very interested to know exactly what extent Sport Chrome and other companies go to insure a safe quality import.

That being said, history (especially ours with China) leaves me skeptical...
V-man is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Member
 
Smokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 315
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-man View Post
...again all good points, and I would be very interested to know exactly what extent Sport Chrome and other companies go to insure a safe quality import.

That being said, history (especially ours with China) leaves me skeptical...
Yea I hear ya, and canít sayI blame you ether. They certainly earned their reputation early on in their manufacturing history. There are other countries (India, Vietnam) now earning their own reputation of putting out shit products. Seems those are the places companies that looking for cheaply made stuff without any standards to comply are going.

I would be interested in reading some of those posts you referred to, to find out what issues people are experiencing with the Reinforcer. You got my curiosity up and since I donít live to far from Sports Chrome I plan to go by there when I get the chance to talk with them. It would be good to let them know what peoples issues and concerns are and why I am asking the question. I sure hope they have done their due deligents and things are in order. I like my front wheel and donít want to be pulling it off and turning them into yard art.

But Cheng Shin tires😳 Even I have my limitations😁
Smokey is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 350
Don't know if it's cool to post a link to another forum, so I won't. But if You go over to Streetglidedotcom and look for "Heads Up 21" Reinforcer Front Wheel sold by Eastern Performance Cycle BAD EXPERIENCE" You'll find the thread I'm referring to...

Cheng Shin funny stuff! I don't think they're made in China anyway!

Last edited by V-man; 01-20-2018 at 06:30 PM.
V-man is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Road Glide Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shark Night - Chinese Style Stray Mutt General Off-Topic Discussions 2 08-28-2012 12:34 PM
Old Chinese Proverb Sasquatch *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 4 09-14-2011 12:08 PM
Why does HD have to use Chinese Parts on an American Motorcycle? BillyBob *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures 41 01-27-2011 11:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome