Road Glide banner

To low or not to lower...

3K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  NORSEMAN 
#1 ·
Came home from Daytona inspired! I decided to finally bite the bullet and start powder coating all of my chrome. Well, as you guys all know, one thing leads to another and here I am in the suspension thread... Since the forks are coming off, now would be the best time to do something. I had never considered doing any suspension mods but after reading a few posts, I am sold on the progressive monotubes. Now the question is, should I lower it? I plan on running the stock wheel (for now), I am 5'10 200 lbs, I ride 2 up probably 30% of the time. I'm in the northeast so I am no stranger to frost heaves and potholes. If I do go lower I would only do it by an inch. My wife and I do many long day trips, have logged a couple 500+ mile days. I don't want to give up ride-ability but I also don't want to regret not lowering it. Also, If I did decide to go -1 should I also lower the rear, (one thing after another again). Thanks for your input!

#4 ·
I'm with Hillglide. Higher is better. I did stock height mono tubes and 13" shocks in place of the 12"'s. I still scrape my head pipe in the canyons. I dunno but it seems to me lowering the bike makes it look cool but it will never handle as well. I'll the Pepsi challenge with anyone with a lowered bike on my local roads. You'll be scraping before we are close to halfway through.

I am getting this in before all the -2" guys chime in as there is no way a bike lowered 2" in the front will ride as smooth as one at stock height. Now that I have said my peace, have at it.

#6 ·
I was going to lower my glide -1 at first, but after reading all the post related to the monotubes decided not to. just finished the install with the stock 31-2500 monotubes and the recommended 2 spacers 3 days ago. already had 12" Ohlins S36 rear shocks installed last year. I am 5'9, 185 lbs - bike handles awesome plus I do not have to mess with any kickstand, windshield and handlebar issues or readjustments. very happy with my decision. Unless you are changing to a 21" front wheel I would go stock height.

#10 ·
I've been back and forth on the lowering idea. One day I want to go -2" and the next day -1".

I've finally resolved to keeping it stock height simply because I ride aggressively and don't want to give up any clearance plus I had a lowered softail a few years ago and the day I lowered it was the last day I had a comfortable ride. Good luck in your battle of deciding because they sure look good slammed!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#11 ·
I'm not a fan of taking an already marginal suspension system, and making it even worse, by lowering/reducing travel. That's just me. I prefer to lower the bike visually, via stretched bags, different fender, etc...

Jeff

#12 ·
+1 on not lowering the front.. You might want to think about the Monroe shock air ride mod for the back.. I like it better than the progressive 440's that I had on. In addition, you can get a little more height in the rear when you're in the twisties or parking lot maneuvering for even better clearance. Note, raising the rear reduces the trail for easier turns at low speed.. Lowering the rear increases the trail, make it track straight and harder to turn.

#14 ·
Let me tell you what I know for a fact.

1" lowered Monotubes ride and handle better than the stock pre 2014 front ends.
Ohlin 3-3s (which sag 1") ride and handle much better than the stock pre 2014 shocks.

Together they improve both the ride and handling tremendously.

I have no experience with 2014 bikes.....

#15 ·
I installed the progressive monotubes and dropped it 2". I simply wanted it lowered for the stance. I also put 11" progressive shocks on the back. Yes, it significantly reduces the lean angle = my estimate is about 5 degrees with 2" front and 1" rear lower on a 2012 FLTRX. The monotubes eliminated the brake dive, which was my only major complaint with the stock configuration. I weighed well north of your body weight, and rode often with my 120# wife with no issue. I rode my beastie 6,556 miles in 12 days to participate in Shark Week III last summer, and the ride was fine with the lowered setup. I couldn't corner as fast as MedicTim with his stock suspension Ultra, but it really wasn't a huge deal. Yes, I routinely scrape my heat shield and kick stand, but that's my feedback to cool my entrance a bit next time. I guess it's all in what you want. If you want the looks of the lowered stance and are willing to sacrifice a little lean angle, then go for it. If you simply must have all the lean angle, then keep the stock height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.