Road Glide Forums

Road Glide Forums (https://www.roadglide.org/forumindex.php)
-   *General Road Glide Discussions/Pictures (https://www.roadglide.org/3-%2Ageneral-road-glide-discussions-pictures/)
-   -   Lost my key fob today... (https://www.roadglide.org/3-%2Ageneral-road-glide-discussions-pictures/356913-lost-my-key-fob-today.html)

twowheeladdict 04-12-2018 08:30 PM

Lost my key fob today...

Unlocked the saddlebag to put groceries in. Must not have put the fob back in my pocket or not in far.

Started the bike and rode away. When I stopped I realized I couldn't unlock the other bag with my computer in it.

Thanks to a post I read on this site I had set my security override code. I retraced my ride but couldn't find it.

Called the Harley Dealer, no help. Called a locksmith, $75 to pick a lock. Called the stores near where I parked the bike and someone actually picked up the fob and turned it in at the grocery store. Hallelujah! My faith in humankind has been elevated! Disaster averted!

Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. 🙂

RonC26 04-12-2018 08:35 PM

Thatís awesome. I imagine it would have been a couple hundred bucks to replace too. The little code thing does come in handy once in a while!

Lord Vader 04-12-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheeladdict (Post 4413537)
Unlocked the saddlebag to put groceries in. Must not have put the fob back in my pocket or not in far.

Started the bike and rode away. When I stopped I realized I couldn't unlock the other bag with my computer in it.

Thanks to a post I read on this site I had set my security override code. I retraced my ride but couldn't find it.

Called the Harley Dealer, no help. Called a locksmith, $75 to pick a lock. Called the stores near where I parked the bike and someone actually picked up the fob and turned it in at the grocery store. Hallelujah! My faith in humankind has been elevated! Disaster averted!

Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. 🙂

Write down the 4 digit code on the key for future reference. Any dealer can make a key with it.

Stick_FSMC 04-13-2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC26 (Post 4413553)
Thatís awesome. I imagine it would have been a couple hundred bucks to replace too. The little code thing does come in handy once in a while!

That's why I practice using it at least once a month. I haven't needed it since I started practicing it, but sure could have used it when I loaned a buddy my bike while on a road trip. He needed to go get a part to fix his bike on the side of the road. He lost the key on the way back.

Thankfully it was a short parts trip and he was able to go back and find the key once his bike was running again.

RonC26 04-13-2018 06:13 AM

My oddest time was stopping at the weather bureau at our airport. Apparently their powerful radio gear jammed my security system.

twowheeladdict 04-13-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 4413569)
Write down the 4 digit code on the key for future reference. Any dealer can make a key with it.

Funny that they didn't mention that when I called.

Are the dealers able to reset the PIN on used bikes?

Lord Vader 04-13-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheeladdict (Post 4413865)

You need the keyfob to reset the pin and you can do it yourself. Check out youtube for a tutorial.

paid4c4 04-13-2018 08:45 AM

Your thread has brought to mind the fact I need to program my security code in my new ride. I'll do it this afternoon. Thanks for your post and story, glad it had a good ending.
Bill

madmat 04-13-2018 09:53 AM

There are still some good peeps out there, glad to here one of them lives near you.

twowheeladdict 04-13-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 4413937)
Quote:

Originally Posted by twowheeladdict (Post 4413865)

You need the keyfob to reset the pin and you can do it yourself. Check out youtube for a tutorial.

I set mine a couple years ago, so I forgot that you didn't need the old code to reset it.