Road Glide Forums

Road Glide Forums (https://www.roadglide.org/forumindex.php)
-   Fluids and Lubricants (https://www.roadglide.org/201-fluids-lubricants/)
-   -   1 Quart is acceptable loss in 1k (https://www.roadglide.org/201-fluids-lubricants/373055-1-quart-acceptable-loss-1k.html)

NorthlandRider 05-27-2019 09:05 PM

1 Quart is acceptable loss in 1k

Newbie question here

So up here in Minnesota the riding season has been some what spuratik since out huge load of snow in April and now the flooding. I have managed to get a little over 2k on the bike since I purchased it. Sorry 2018 RGU. I have had a faint smell of burning oil from day 1. I was very surprise that I was below the add line on the dip stick after 500 miles. When I took it in for its 1k service I was told that it is normal on the new M8 that you could burn 1 Quart after 1k of travel, Everything is normal....but I still have the burning smell and I continue to go thru oil. Am I riding the bike too hard ?? I call B>S> on the dealer explanation. My wife rides a 2017 street glide special with a M8 and has none of this trouble. Whats Up...

RonC26 05-27-2019 09:18 PM

Doesnít sound right to me. Iíd head to another dealer if your guys wonít do more.

NorthlandRider 05-27-2019 09:21 PM

I think that might be the solution unless everyone tell me the same thing..

A Seabee 05-27-2019 09:36 PM

I think a quart in 1K was acceptable on V8 rebuild with cast iron rings in 1977. on a 21st century brand new M8, I'd say it's beyond excessive. I'd go to another dealer, and stay on them. something is wrong big time.

dreeves 05-27-2019 09:42 PM

If I go through 5 quarts of oil I that I had to add over 5000 miles with an oil change that takes 4 quarts, I would have to ask the dealership should I just skip the oil changes and just change the filter every so often? That would be a pia for me to have to add that much oil. I think most manufacturers calculate a ridiculous “standard” oil use rate to reduce claims. I would not settle for that. Hopefully it may settle out after getting fully broken in, but not really sure����

BobRG15 05-27-2019 09:45 PM

I agree with RonC26 but my first step would be to call the MOCO to explain my concerns and get a case number

Bruce00 05-27-2019 10:32 PM

Claiming that using 5 quarts of oil between oil changes is normal...... ridiculous. I would call the MoCo and start a claim.

NorthlandRider 05-28-2019 07:29 AM

Heading back to the dealer today. Let see if we can nail this down. I just do not want to take 4 or 5 quarts of oil on a trip. Something is not right. I bet their is a small leak some where but I see no oil anywhere.

MightyWhitey 05-28-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthlandRider (Post 4629437)
Heading back to the dealer today. Let see if we can nail this down. I just do not want to take 4 or 5 quarts of oil on a trip. Something is not right. I bet their is a small leak some where but I see no oil anywhere.

A leak down test should tell you where the problem lies if you canít see a leak. Oil consumption through the engine typically means your rings didnít seal or your valve seals are leaking. Any oil consumption that requires me to add oil on a trip is not acceptable to me. And by that I mean if my engine consumes .5 quart in 5K miles....meh. Itís time for an oil change anyway and .5 quart low isnít going to hurt anything. If I have to carry oil Iím going to fix the problem. As stated above if your dealer is that horrible then contact Harley directly because itís not acceptable.

ALMOONEY 05-28-2019 09:18 AM

No it's not normal, but the Moco will say it's OK. I bet the dealer says "ride it & watch the oil level". I don't see the Moco doing anything for you, in their fine print they'll say 1 qt in a !,000 miles is OK.