Road Glide Forums

Road Glide Forums (https://www.roadglide.org/forumindex.php)
-   Audio (https://www.roadglide.org/53-audio/)
-   -   06 roadglide rear speakers (https://www.roadglide.org/53-audio/6523-06-roadglide-rear-speakers.html)

rayfeldt 04-17-2011 06:12 PM

06 roadglide rear speakers

I recently wrecked my 04 RG. I had a tourpack with rear speakers and an amp. I just bought a used 06 RG. I have the tourpack on order.
1. I saved the speaker pods from the 04, if I buy new speakers to put in the pods, is there any reason I can't use the pods and have the controls work?
2. What do I have to do to hook up the speakers? I've been searching a little and it would appear the is a harness I need to buy? Will this hook up somwhere under the seat or do I need to go all the way back to the stereo?
3. Anyway I can use the old amp? It is a stock HD amp that was on the bike when I bought it.
Thanks,
Ray

Peewee 04-18-2011 06:04 AM

1. If you swap out the speakers, should be no problems at all. If I remember correctly, there has been no changein the speaker housing, just in the speakers. Seeing how they are all 5.25's the holes dhould match up just fine.
2. Should be able to get the harness from the rear speaker kit. Just have your local dealership parts guy do a kit break-down to see what you will need.
3. I am going to say no on this one, just because of the ohm load difference. (I am assuming that you are refering to the stock HD amp)

RoadGlideRider 04-18-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peewee (Post 74605)
1. If you swap out the speakers, should be no problems at all. If I remember correctly, there has been no changein the speaker housing, just in the speakers. Seeing how they are all 5.25's the holes should match up just fine.
2. Should be able to get the harness from the rear speaker kit. Just have your local dealership parts guy do a kit break-down to see what you will need.
3. I am going to say no on this one, just because of the ohm load difference. (I am assuming that you are referring to the stock HD amp)

I agree with this.
I looked in my part catalog. The only part that changed from 1998 is the speaker it self. All other parts, including the switches and wiring harness is from 1998.

The amp is different. The ohmage changed with the new radio manufacturer. Went to 2 ohms and the amp part number changed too.

rayfeldt 04-18-2011 09:27 PM

Great, thanks a bunch guys. Now can anybody heal a broken wrist so I can pull a clutch in? lol
1. Will I have to pull the tank to run the wiring harness? I've got an 04 Service manual, I am figuring it should be the same for the 06.
2. If I did buy and amp eventually would the HD amp plug (a new HD amp- not my old one) in to this harness and mount below the tour pack like the old one?
Thanks,
Ray

Peewee 04-19-2011 06:01 AM

You could run it all without pulling the tank, just would need someone to hold it up for you. Go ahead and pull the tank and make it easier! The new amp does fit under the tour pal just like the old one. Bluzmn59 has it on his RGU. If I remember correctly, the amp is pretty much just plug it in. You do have to remove the tour pak from the mounting plate. The amp kinda gets sandwiched in between the tour pak and the tour pak mounting rack