Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the 2005 touring bikes have a cartrige-style front suspension, but I'm not so sure about my 2005. I installed some HHI trees and a 23" wheel. The installation process didn't require that I take apart the forks themselves, just take the caps off and screw on the extensions, so I didn't get to see the internals.

Recently, I tried to drain the left fork, and there was no oil. I was told this was normal because of the cartrige style forks.

The front end seems a little squishy, and makes some noise in the left fork (like a spring compressing in a tube).

Do the cartrige style forks require oil in both sides? How would I know if the internals were changed?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Tracy's 05 only had a cartidge in one side, if i remember correctly it was in the left fork. You should have gotten atleast some oil out of them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
04's have cartridge on 1 side only, springs on the other. Get progressive monotubes and be happy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1 on 05 having one cartridge and one spring. I have replaced my setup with Progressive Monotubes, a dual strut setup that vastly improves handling, as well as front end dive. You can find them online at prices in the $300 range. Installation does require taking forks apart but it is a solid investment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to look into the Progressive Monotubes. I hear good things about them.

If I buy the lowered monotubes, is there an option to lower them even more if I don't like the height? I'd like the bike as low as possible.

Also, can I get travel limiters if I have the monotubes? My current travel limiter is my fender and triple tree, and that sucks... :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
I need to look into the Progressive Monotubes. I hear good things about them.

If I buy the lowered monotubes, is there an option to lower them even more if I don't like the height? I'd like the bike as low as possible.

Also, can I get travel limiters if I have the monotubes? My current travel limiter is my fender and triple tree, and that sucks... :(
You can drop the lowered montubes to approximately 2". You will have to use the stock and the supplied top out spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts