Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, she started popping and coughing, hard start also. The last time it turned out to be plugs, so I went to the local parts store and we agreed they look a little lean, but I bought a cooler set and installed, she ran decent untill I got it home. Then she wouldnt hardly start again, I took off the air cleaner to check it, and just for giggles, I put a rag over the intake while it was running, and it kept running! Then I put my hand over the hole and she still ran! I'm thinking intake leak, but would greatly appreciate any input, thanks, Skip:confused:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Did you change the fuel lines inside the gas tank or the fuel filter housing? It ia a common problem for the fuel lines inside the fuel tank to develop cracks, the 08 models had a recall on the fuel filter housing because the cover of the fuel filter housing would get out of round, both conditions will cause air to get into the fuel lines. If there is air in the fuel system the bike will run bad, the bike will pop & backfire and also there will be a lack of power.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you change the fuel lines inside the gas tank or the fuel filter housing? It ia a common problem for the fuel lines inside the fuel tank to develop cracks, the 08 models had a recall on the fuel filter housing because the cover of the fuel filter housing would get out of round, both conditions will cause air to get into the fuel lines. If there is air in the fuel system the bike will run bad, the bike will pop & backfire and also there will be a lack of power.
No Ironmark, I did not know that, However, I've replaced it twice, last time at 53k, I am now at 56k,and as you may know, it is a pain in the [email protected]# to pull it for inspection, but I will if all else fails. Thanks.Skip:eek:

·
Registered
828 Posts
vacuum line broken

I had similar experience with my 07 FXSTC. It ran terrible, and i did the same thing by changing the plugs and removed AC. It turned out that one of the vac hoses behind the throttle body had cracked and torn. i went to Autozone and for .18 i had an entire foot of it. Replaced it and she purrrred like a kitten.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Spray some WD40 around the intake gaskets while it is running. If it smooths out it will be an intake gasket. Don't worry about the excess WD40 soon dissipate due to the heat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the wd-40 trick last night with no change in rpm at all, let it sit, this morning I ran her out about 3 miles away to do an errand, as soon as it hits operating temp it starts, a little pop here, then a slight hesitation on acceleration,etc. By the time I dropped off my package and got back to the house, I had the emergency flashers going, and ran every red light because if the rpms went below 2500-3000, the damn thing would shut off, then I would play hell getting it started again. Thats another thing, to restart it when this happens takes full throttle, can you believe that crap? It barely made it up on the lift running. ##@#@%@@^%&*^*

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I tried the wd-40 trick last night with no change in rpm at all, let it sit, this morning I ran her out about 3 miles away to do an errand, as soon as it hits operating temp it starts, a little pop here, then a slight hesitation on acceleration,etc. By the time I dropped off my package and got back to the house, I had the emergency flashers going, and ran every red light because if the rpms went below 2500-3000, the damn thing would shut off, then I would play hell getting it started again. Thats another thing, to restart it when this happens takes full throttle, can you believe that crap? It barely made it up on the lift running. ##@#@%@@^%&*^*

OK runs fine when cold. The warmer / hotter it gets the worse it runs. Could be the coil pack. As the coils heat up they could be creating an open state causing the miss fire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What bike do U have? Suggest listing bike in your signature

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I had a similar issue when I had my 07. Ended up I had a small crack in my pipe. My friend at RB Racing gave it a weld and the issue was gone.

What bike do U have? Suggest listing bike in your signature
This post is titled 08 fltr running like crap again. I'm guessing he has an 08 Road Glide. :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
No Ironmark, I did not know that, However, I've replaced it twice, last time at 53k, I am now at 56k,and as you may know, it is a pain in the [email protected]# to pull it for inspection, but I will if all else fails. Thanks.Skip:eek:
When you replaced your fuel filter did you replace your pressure regulator?

Also I had a issue with mine starting when it was hot after riding and fueling up with gas. Turned out the gas cap would cause a vapor lock. The first time it happened I was at the gas station and it wouldnt start. After messing with everything and checking my spark to the plugs I just happened to remove the gas cap and it started right up and ran. A few miles down the road it died a second time. I had to repeat unscrewing the gas cap and also had to remove the fuel line from the gas tank to clear up the vapor lock.

I took a small drill bit and drilled through the center of the cap to give more venting for the gas vapors. Since doing this I havent had any other issue with it vapor locking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts