Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had Heritage bars put on the "08 Road glide, and afterwards I noticed this "ratchet" feel on the throttle grip condition. Mechanic sprayed silicon on the twist grip sensor which seemed to alleviate the almost dry plastic to plastic feel, which is what the parts are made of. Well now after say a year later condition returned, took it apart looked okay so sprayed silicon to get it to loosen up again. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea if this means it was damaged, and I should remove the twist grip sensor and replace it? or?
Any suggestions? much appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like the grip isn't slid on fully to the TBW. The TBW is really picky, if it is slid in to much it will kind of bind up. Or if your like me it's a new TBW that's F'd up and sticks while rolling on the throttle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'08 throttle "ratchet" like feel

Yea, I took the grip off thinking it might have been the gear teeth not meshing on the grip to sensor, but with grip removed rotating the sensor showed it to be Jacked as well. Tending to think it can be something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
So your saying with the grip removed as you twist the TBW it's still not turning right? I've tried spraying lube down into it, didn't work for me. Have to replace it, just to lazy. My old TBW I took apart and there is real way to fix them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'08 throttle "ratchet" like feel

I suspect you are right about that. Replacing the TBW is probably the fix. If I'm going to get into my fairing, which I've done about 3-4 times before.
I will plan on starting another project inside the fairing while I'm at it. I'll either change out my receiver and add a couple of speakers to the inside walls of my inner fairing. Now I know that it is more important to square away the throttle straight away then anything sound related. The throttle is behaving for now with the spray lube. I know it won't last too long though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a buddy who was just complaining about this last night. He also has an '08, but he has a Street Glide.

I had him swing by my garage and we took it apart enough to determine the ratchet-like feel has nothing to do with the grip. With the grip removed and while turning the TBW grip end manually, we can get the same behavior.

It only happens when turning slowly. Operating the grip for normal "getting up to speed" type acceleration is just fine. But when adjusting the throttle for fine tuning of your speed to stay around a speed limit (for example) those small adjustments are when the ratchet feeling takes place.

As far as I could tell it is just as you described -- dry plastic on plastic. It looks as though the twist end of the assembly mates up to the rest of the assembly with a series of supports that spin with in a groove on the inside of the main assembly.

We applied some Dri Slide Bike Aid that I used to use for my throttle/clutch cables and it seemed to help out a lot. But not completely.

I'm thinking the only way to cure the issue completely is with a new assembly. At that points I'd just get the SE version to do away with the green connector for internally wiring bars.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the same problem. It really sucks.... not sure how to fix it but hope I can come up with something.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just dropped my bike off at El Cajon Harley for my 5K service. I had the Heritage bars installed at the 2500 service and purchased a new TBW. I have been experiencing harder resistance applying the throttle. Sort of masked out as I normally use cruise control. The technician did demonstrate that my throttle sticks wide open. I never even noticed that while riding. guess I don't romp full throttle. Anyway, I will report what they find out once I get the bike back tomorrow.
Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am having this issue with the new install of Wild 1 517's. I also got a new TBW sensor, the SE version with no green connector. The throttle feels like it has the old friction poor man's cruise control that my Road King had. However it seems that the hand grip may be binding. The challenge is that I am in a week long road trip so I am going to try lubricating the grip, etc. no way to swap out the sensor on the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Throttle ratchey symptom follow up

I suspect you are right about that. Replacing the TBW is probably the fix. If I'm going to get into my fairing, which I've done about 3-4 times before.
I will plan on starting another project inside the fairing while I'm at it. I'll either change out my receiver and add a couple of speakers to the inside walls of my inner fairing. Now I know that it is more important to square away the throttle straight away then anything sound related. The throttle is behaving for now with the spray lube. I know it won't last too long though.
Finally made time to work on my throttle problem, and was happy to report that the new TBW sensor was in fact the fix needed. I was surprised at how smoothly the fix went, and that I took so long to get to it. Now The trottle operates like it supposed to. I'd like to thank the forum for providing support I needed to do my own trouble shooting get to the source of the problem.

Attachments

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I just replaced mine as well. I already had the SE version from 2 years ago and it was dragging. I tried lubing the old one but no help. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ratchety Throttle fix…side bar

As part of this whole repair, got to wondering what could have caused this part to go bad. Has anyone ever had the occasion to tear into their old TCM part and see what the cause of the failure was? I'm tempted to hack my old TCM and reveal the reason for it's deterioration. It would seem that this should never be a problem for the life of the bike, right? Just saying….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts