Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 09 RG a few weeks back. Cleaned it all up. Took it after that. Looked under after a ride and I have a oil drip. I think it might be the plug and seal. What is the procedure and whats best to do. New to HD's. This is my first. Wanted to by a used one before the new plunge later. Thanks for any help.:smile:

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
It would depend on how mechanically inclined you are. If it was me, I'd raise the bike up on a bike jack or lift table and see if I could spot the area it appears to be coming from. Then I'd use some brake part cleaner spray (bought at any auto parts store) to clean the area. Then I'd ride it for a bit and raise it back up to confirm the leak area. If it's a big leak you may not have to do that because sometimes its obvious. Also check the oil levels in the engine, transmission and primary to make sure they are still full or if one or the other is low which would be an indicator as to where to look next.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
What he said^^^. You need to determine the source of the leak before anything else. Could be something so simple it could be fixed in ten minutes.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Same thing happened when I bought my 09 3 years ago. It had 1040 miles on it and the dealer did a fluid change. Brought it home and a couple days later I seen oil under it. Sprayed brake clean on a rag and wiped off the area around and under the plug. Next day there was the drip. Whoever put the plug in split the o ring.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Common lower oil drip areas.
1) Oil filter area wasn't cleaned well after an oil change.
2) Drain plugs.
3) inner and outer primary gaskets.
4) Stator wire.
5) Starter seal.
6) Trans seals/ gaskets.
7) Oil Cooler lines.
8) Cam chest cover.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to put it on the jack and raise it up. It finally did a drip onto card board. Good advice on here. I will follow up with what I find. I bought everything to change all fluids and o-rings and seals. Thanks for all the input, and sorry for a delayed response. Great site and help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts