Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after a short ride maybe 20 miles I stopped for a cold one and when I came back out the bike didn't start. I after the second attempt at starting it I noticed that the fuel injection did not prime. I shut everything off and tryed it again. This time it fired up and ran fine all the way home. This has never happened before. Has anyone else experienced this? The bike ran fine before the stop and I made two more stops on the way home. No problems. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The check ball in the tank fitting...

There's no real way to diagnose, it won't throw any codes, and when you hook up the fuel pressure gauge it will knock it loose and show proper fuel pressure.

Ask me how I know:eek:

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
If it happens again take the tank dash off and use a test light to back probe the fuel pump connector to see if you're still getting power to the pump while cranking it over. If power is present but no pump then replace the pump. If you don't have power at the connector then start checking the relay connectors and wires at the switches.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Occasionally I have to play with the ignition switch to get it in the correct position.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing recently. If I take a short trip, stop and turn the bike off for a few minutes, it sometimes won't start. After trying to figure it out I finally took it to the dealer and the mechanic kept telling me the compensator was bad. Didn't make sense because it didn't happen all the time nor did it have the typical symptoms. So, I continued digging into it and turns out the fuel check valve was having problems. $70 part and about an hour to replace.
You may have the same problem and can check it fairly easy. Next time it does it unplug the fuel line from under the tank ( be careful of the O ring ), plug it back in, and start the bike. Harley knows of this problem but doesn't know what causes it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
That has happened to my bike a few times, cycling the ignition again took care of the problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless it became a more consistent problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts