Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is your #1 favorite riding song, you know, the one that no matter where you are when you hear it, you think about how you'd like to be riding your bike down the road with the volume cranked up. It doesn't have to be about riding or motorcycles, but you get bonus points if Harleys, riding, or motorcycles are mentioned in the song. No, you can't give us your 3 favorites ..... just the ONE song you have on your riding playlist that you can't do without.

I guess if I'm gonna pick a favorite song it might as well be one written and sung by my favorite musician. The one I love to listen too when cruising the highways and bi-ways is Neil Young's "Motorcycle Mama" from his 1978 album "Comes a Time". This duet with Nicolette Larson always puts me into a groove where I find myself singing it out loud going down the road.

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, I'm a big fan of the blues. Sometimes I think Beth Hart is Jim Morrison, reincarnated as a female! Lol She's just balls to the wall, and leaves nothing behind. She gives you everything she's got that particular night. The DVD of her and Joe B. doing that concert in Amsterdam get's played several times a year in my house.

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Motorcycle Mama by Sailcat , heck I remember when it came out , so you prolly do too ya old fart ..

JtB
I'm old enough but it didn't strike a bell with me until I looked it up and then about 15 seconds into it I remembered it clearly. I like the lyrics OK, but not crazy about the music behind them. I little "Knock 3 times" ... bubble gum music for my taste.

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lost Highway by Bon Jovi. Epic travel song extraordinare 👍
Gotta be honest and say that I don't think I'd ever heard that song, but glad I just played it. Great traveling song. PLUS you get bonus points for naming a song that has "It's Independence Day and I'm Lost out on this highway" in it's lyrics .... perfect for this Independence Day weekend.

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your link didn't work ... but of course I didn't have to look it up as it's one of the most popular songs by the Allman Bros. I'm always thankful for the Allman Brothers because it was their music that got me interested in the blues so many years ago. We have a biker bar "The Hoosier Bar" about 40 minutes north of me that I ride to quite often "in season". Every Sunday they have "Sunday Service" which is always 4 hours of blues music with a heavy Allman influence because Dickey Betts' son plays in the band that plays there nearly every Sunday, along with Berry Oakley Jr. and one of the Allman kids also drops in and plays. Now that Dickey Betts has recovered from his near death fall, he also drops in once in a while. Usually Devon Allman drops in a couple times a year to sit in with the band. All this in a biker bar that might hold 100 people, has no cover charge, and beer is cold and cheap. A couple of members of the band are now touring as the Allman - Betts Band.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
This song. It will also be my funeral song. Something in my Portuguese heritage I guess. But when I get near an ocean. I feel an overwhelming sense of peace. So I connect with these lyrics.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm always thankful for the Allman Brothers because it was their music that got me interested in the blues so many years ago. We have a biker bar "The Hoosier Bar" about 40 minutes north of me that I ride to quite often "in season". Every Sunday they have "Sunday Service" which is always 4 hours of blues music with a heavy Allman influence because Dickey Betts' son plays in the band that plays there nearly every Sunday, along with Berry Oakley Jr. and one of the Allman kids also drops in and plays. Now that Dickey Betts has recovered from his near death fall, he also drops in once in a while. Usually Devon Allman drops in a couple times a year to sit in with the band. All this in a biker bar that might hold 100 people, has no cover charge, and beer is cold and cheap. A couple of members of the band are now touring as the Allman - Betts Band.
that's cool!

on the liner notes from their best of cd they had a company in chitown that was making jean jackets with the ABB logo embroidered on the back for like $125. really regret not getting one when they were available. couldn't afford it in those days. i'd give my left one for that now.
in my youth that band was the shit. there was a local band that played ABB tunes. still remember standing next to that whirling leslie speaker jammin to the ole Hammond B3...

and "Statesboro Blues" is my favorite even though it's a Taj Mahal ripoff

·
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's cool!

on the liner notes from their best of cd they had a company in chitown that was making jean jackets with the ABB logo embroidered on the back for like $125. really regret not getting one when they were available. couldn't afford it in those days. i'd give my left one for that now.
in my youth that band was the shit. there was a local band that played ABB tunes. still remember standing next to that whirling leslie speaker jammin to the ole Hammond B3...

and "Statesboro Blues" is my favorite even though it's a Taj Mahal ripoff

If you put it like that then you could also say that Taj ripped it off from Blind Willie McTell who wrote and recorded it in 1928.

It's all good, just different variations of the song, some better than others. My favorite straight blues song by ABB is "Tied to the Hitchin Post" written by Gregg A.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts