Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question here

So up here in Minnesota the riding season has been some what spuratik since out huge load of snow in April and now the flooding. I have managed to get a little over 2k on the bike since I purchased it. Sorry 2018 RGU. I have had a faint smell of burning oil from day 1. I was very surprise that I was below the add line on the dip stick after 500 miles. When I took it in for its 1k service I was told that it is normal on the new M8 that you could burn 1 Quart after 1k of travel, Everything is normal....but I still have the burning smell and I continue to go thru oil. Am I riding the bike too hard ?? I call B>S> on the dealer explanation. My wife rides a 2017 street glide special with a M8 and has none of this trouble. Whats Up...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Doesn’t sound right to me. I’d head to another dealer if your guys won’t do more.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If I go through 5 quarts of oil I that I had to add over 5000 miles with an oil change that takes 4 quarts, I would have to ask the dealership should I just skip the oil changes and just change the filter every so often? That would be a pia for me to have to add that much oil. I think most manufacturers calculate a ridiculous “standard” oil use rate to reduce claims. I would not settle for that. Hopefully it may settle out after getting fully broken in, but not really sure����

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I agree with RonC26 but my first step would be to call the MOCO to explain my concerns and get a case number

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Claiming that using 5 quarts of oil between oil changes is normal...... ridiculous. I would call the MoCo and start a claim.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heading back to the dealer today. Let see if we can nail this down. I just do not want to take 4 or 5 quarts of oil on a trip. Something is not right. I bet their is a small leak some where but I see no oil anywhere.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Heading back to the dealer today. Let see if we can nail this down. I just do not want to take 4 or 5 quarts of oil on a trip. Something is not right. I bet their is a small leak some where but I see no oil anywhere.
A leak down test should tell you where the problem lies if you can’t see a leak. Oil consumption through the engine typically means your rings didn’t seal or your valve seals are leaking. Any oil consumption that requires me to add oil on a trip is not acceptable to me. And by that I mean if my engine consumes .5 quart in 5K miles....meh. It’s time for an oil change anyway and .5 quart low isn’t going to hurt anything. If I have to carry oil I’m going to fix the problem. As stated above if your dealer is that horrible then contact Harley directly because it’s not acceptable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No it's not normal, but the Moco will say it's OK. I bet the dealer says "ride it & watch the oil level". I don't see the Moco doing anything for you, in their fine print they'll say 1 qt in a !,000 miles is OK.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
There was some sort of a bulletin on this. I personally saw the document last year, the note says 1Qt every *1500* miles is acceptable. I think its crazy, but is what is, at least according to the Mo Co

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
A leak down test should tell you where the problem lies if you can’t see a leak. Oil consumption through the engine typically means your rings didn’t seal or your valve seals are leaking. Any oil consumption that requires me to add oil on a trip is not acceptable to me. And by that I mean if my engine consumes .5 quart in 5K miles....meh. It’s time for an oil change anyway and .5 quart low isn’t going to hurt anything. If I have to carry oil I’m going to fix the problem. As stated above if your dealer is that horrible then contact Harley directly because it’s not acceptable.
Believe it or not, 25% leakdown is acceptable, per the service manual.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Luckily I never had to do this but can just anyone call the MOCO and start a claim? Don't warranty claims have to come from a servicing dealer?
Yes anyone can call MOCO 414-343-4056 If your complaint or concern is legit you will get a case number. the only time I called MOCO assigned case number 3341606 to referance for issues going forward

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
1 qt per 1000 miles is an industry standard. But that does not mean that its perfectly normal or OK to operate.

I would want to know where the oil is going. Is it leaking? Burning? Transfering? Or just not getting pumped out of the sump.

Step one would be checking the under side of the scooter for signs of a leak.

A look behind the air filter would be step two. See if there is a oil build up anywhere in the air box that would indicated excessive oil carry over.

Next up would be to run it and continue to check the oil. When the level is found to have dropped a 1/2 quart, drain the sump and see if the missing oil is actually there.

If not, then check the primary oil level. An additional 1/2 quart will be visible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back from the dealer. I am in a monitoring program. I have to return again in 1k for a comparison measurement. I call it the wait and see method. All test returned results that were deemed to be normal. However the tech said that the loss was more than he expected and that the oil was darker than it should have been.

So I will see in a few weeks and I will report back.

Even if Harley is ok with a loss of 1qt per 1000 miles I am not...

·
Registered
79 Posts
When my bike was purchased, I got the prepaid maintenance for 15,000 miles. After 15,000 miles, I changed my own fluids and cleaned my air filter. When I replaced the filter I kinked up my breather hoses which feed into the air filter. Let me stop for a moment and confess that I work with computers all day and I've been told I don't know a monkey wrench from a monkey's ass. OK back to story. After checking my fluids I took my first ride. After a 400 mile day I began to smell oil and when I checked the oil, I was low (about .75 quart). I checked the air filter and it was full of oil (apparently my oil level started on the upper limit). I replaced the breather hoses and the air filter and my bike hasn't used a drop since that day.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts