Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Back from the dealer. I am in a monitoring program. I have to return again in 1k for a comparison measurement. I call it the wait and see method. All test returned results that were deemed to be normal. However the tech said that the loss was more than he expected and that the oil was darker than it should have been.

So I will see in a few weeks and I will report back.

Even if Harley is ok with a loss of 1qt per 1000 miles I am not...
Time for a stage V upgrade?

Yes, I would be pissed if that were my engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cool you got that figured out. I hate that when I am the cause of my own problems, but if done things like that too many times to count. Hopefully My bike was not built on a Sunday 3 shift. But I would gladly take that problem if that's what they determine it is..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It’s become sad when HD now says it’s normal for the M8’s to use oil. This is my 3rd HD and none of them have ever used oil. I own a 12 RG with 60k and never had a issue. Makes me wonder what is going on with this new engine?
It's NOT just the M8. This has always been the case. Like I said in an earlier post I had this issue with a 103 Twin Cam bike and the number was 1 quart in 1500 miles was with in specs.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Luckily I never had to do this but can just anyone call the MOCO and start a claim? Don't warranty claims have to come from a servicing dealer?
Like BobRG15 said, anyone can contact & file. They were great to me last year when my 110 blew up. Gave me a new longblock when they didn’t have to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Like BobRG15 said, anyone can contact & file. They were great to me last year when my 110 blew up. Gave me a new longblock when they didn’t have to.
See that is totally awesome... Good to hear. Hopefully I don't have to go down that road. I did visit with a dealer in Madison IA. Told me that the last time this happen in his shop Harley simply replaced the engine. So their are some stories of Harley doing the right thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had to add almost a full quart yesterday. Rode 1300 miles after my 1k service to find that i was also slightly below the "add oil level line". I don't think HD's response is acceptable either, considering (if it continues to happen) that i'll be risking the longevity of my bike, if not caught on time, and the expense i'll be spending on topping off every time.
I'm running Moble1 V-Twin 20w-50. Was wondering what oil whoever is having this issue is running?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Getting ready for a trip to Laconia next week. Been approx. 2800 miles since my 1K service. Checked my oil today (which I admit I rarely do) and I was down approx. 1.5 qts on my ‘19 standard RG.
Take a ride to my dealer (who has always been honest with me) and he also told me this is normal as Harley says 1 qt loss per 800-1,000 miles is acceptable. Damn. While I can’t say I never had to add oil to my metrics, I never had to add this much. Then again my Rushmore SG seemed to go thru at least a qt between service intervals....light even came on once.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Getting ready for a trip to Laconia next week. Been approx. 2800 miles since my 1K service. Checked my oil today (which I admit I rarely do) and I was down approx. 1.5 qts on my ‘19 standard RG.
Take a ride to my dealer (who has always been honest with me) and he also told me this is normal as Harley says 1 qt loss per 800-1,000 miles is acceptable. Damn. While I can’t say I never had to add oil to my metrics, I never had to add this much. Then again my Rushmore SG seemed to go thru at least a qt between service intervals....light even came on once.
He may have always been honest, but he's clearly sometimes wrong, as in this case. The bulletin says 1qt in 1500 miles. So if you're losing 1Qt in 800-1000 miles then you have a problem that the Mo Co should have no problem investigating.

·
Registered
304 Posts
He may have always been honest, but he's clearly sometimes wrong, as in this case. The bulletin says 1qt in 1500 miles. So if you're losing 1Qt in 800-1000 miles then you have a problem that the Mo Co should have no problem investigating.
Which bulletin is that? 1492?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Did you do the service or did the dealer? The oil light will come on if it's hot sitting in traffic.

Which bulletin is that? 1492?

This is the only thing I've EVER seen with any kind of info on oil usage. I had the MoCo send it to me when I was having my issue. As you can see it references the Twin Cam and its from 05/06.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT

I had same issue with my 120ST 1-1.5 qt every 1k.. maybe a little more or less... documenting works

I started documentation with dates, mileage and pics of oil level on dipstick... and when I added oil... pics of that too!

I did this for 4K.... brought everything I documented and they really could say much but " yep... you have an issue"

I ended up with a complete top-end rebuild... new jugs, rings, pistons and heads... that was 21,000 miles ago... I am solid now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just returned from a 4K mile ride to Myrtle Beach. My engine oil level is fine. I do have 20K miles on the bike though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got a little lazy. After having some crappy service from the Honda stealers on my ST1100 and 13's, I did my own service for 200k miles.

Been on HD's since 08 now. I did my own service on my 11, which I just traded for an 18'.

I took it in for the first service at 600miles and hit the road. The lazy ass part, I didn't verify the service, which you should always do. At 2500k miles in Seaside OR, I think, I checked and was a quart down (7/8). For all I know it was that way when it left the dealer. I added a quart and put another 1200 on it and it was the where I filled it.

Yea, I was a shithead for not checking it prior to... and during as I usually do. preoccupied......

I guess, my point to this post is... I'm a shithead.

ridesafe

21 - 40 of 41 Posts