Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This is my first how to, so please be kind.)

With the recent recall on the saddlebag clips from some newer Harley baggers, and then a recall on the recall, I decided to look around for a more secure option. There are a lot of kits on the market and the more I looked at them I determined I could probably build the same thing myself for a third of the price.

I went to my local Westlakes (Ace Hardware) and hit the bins.
You need...
4 - 5/16" raised fold over "U" nut
4 - 5/16" crush washers
4 - 5/16" x 1 1/4" hex head bolt (or whatever style bolt head you want to use)
And reuse the 4 flat washers from the stock pins

Simply take your bags off and set them aside someplace safe. Remove the washer from the pins and set with the new hardware. Using a small flat head screwdriver, remove the spring clips and slide the new fold over "U" nuts in their place. They should snap into place once they are over the hole.

Then simply put the bags back on and line up the new bolts. I put a couple drops of Loctite on the treads before tightening them down. Don't go too tight, I imagine if you really took it too far you could crack the plastic.

All in all, much more secure. I just threw the hex wrench in one of the pockets inside my bag in case I ever need to take them off on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice. I just did the same thing when I added 2014 bags to my 2012 but I wanted a way to remove them without tools to adjust the progressive shocks. I used the same fold over u nut and I found these star knobs at tractor supply

A 5/16" hex head fits inside

And they fit nicely inside the bags

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 15 CVO had the recall done, went and bought the bolts and UNuts seems much sturdier. Leaving in the AM for 14 day trip hopefully they work well

·
Registered
740 Posts
No need to do both, I did the fronts with a hex bolt. My toolbag is in the saddlebag. I let the rear clip work or not. The bag is bolted on and secure.

·
Super Moderator
10,217 Posts
for the past thirty years or more , I have taken one bolt and a couple flat washers with a lock washer and a couple nuts , and installed just one bolt on each bag .. Left one dzus fastener on each bag ..

Cost ?/ stuff laying in my shop ..

JtB

·
Registered
805 Posts
Did the recall fix then bolted one end with the clip to play it safe.
Good job with your first "How to".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts