Road Glide banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warmed up nicely yesterday afternoon, and with sunset about 7:30 PM these days I decided to take the curvy back roads, small farm roads, and a couple gravel roads to go get a real banana split. The KLX300SM is probably the most versatile motorcycle I have owned. It really handles the curves, has enough acceleration to be fun, and is fine when the pavement ends as long as the conditions are dry.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive tire

It seems like all the roads in my area either follow water, climb a ridge, or separate farms from each other. In the above photo there is actually a small river / large stream just above the right grip of the bike.

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

I am amazed I didn't start sneezing while taking the above photo. Spring is definitely in the air with everything starting to bloom.

Just one of the hundreds of ancient barns in the area. I really do hate to seen one that is falling down, and I do see many, but there are still more of these old barns than there are the metal pole barns like I have.

Sky Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

Yes, that is a mansion on top of that hill! Some of these landowners have had the property in their family for generations.

Tire Wheel Property Sky Automotive tire

There is no better place to have ice-cream than a genuine soda fountain in an old time drug store!

Food Tableware Table Recipe Ingredient

A soda jerk in training made my Banana Split. A scoop of Butter Pecan, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Pralines & Crème, covered in the usual Banana Split toppings. Yum!
Oh, and that little cup on the table was what my 5 cent coke was served in. Yep, they still sell a 5 cent coke! Of course you can get larger sizes too.

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Plant community

This is a sight I don't see often in Tennessee.

Plant Tree Working animal Sky Natural landscape

Who'd of thought that we have Tennessee Longhorns! Here I thought Texas was the only state with Longhorns, go figure! LOL!

The road above went from chip and seal, to broken chip and seal, to packed lime rock, with a lot of loose pieces everywhere. Not a road to do any sudden maneuvers on.

Sky Tire Plant Wheel Plant community

Yes, those are cattle grazing on that hillside. I have seen farmers bush hogging hillsides steeper than this. Need to see if I can capture a photo sometime. It looks really sketchy.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm Jealous. Great photos and glad that spring is happening somewhere. Enjoy your travels Two Wheel and please keep taking and sharing your photos. Gives us hope up here in the Great White North that someday it will green up, someday hopefully.

Calgaryglide

Reactions: twowheeladdict

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,319 Posts
Really good pics this time, though I couldn't eat that much sugar in a week. There is a local rider that has ridden his KLR to South America and back, and he once told me: "Do you know the cheapest thing in a KLR? The rider!" But you got yourself an X - all god here. ;)

· Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really good pics this time, though I couldn't eat that much sugar in a week. There is a local rider that has ridden his KLR to South America and back, and he once told me: "Do you know the cheapest thing in a KLR? The rider!" But you got yourself an X - all god here. ;)
The barely used 2008 KLR I bought in 2008 had $4000 in extras/upgrades. It was an amazing motorcycle, but required a lot of strength and stamina to explore off road.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,808 Posts
Started looking at dual sport listings, surprised they seem to bottom out at around 4500 regardless of year. For 2-2500 more you could buy new. Looking at DR-Z400S, DR650 etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.