Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
And here I thought I did well with my propane backpacking stove, nylon earth pimple tent, modern sleeping bag, WW2 era military Mess Kit, Military canteen (with cup/small pot), etc....

At least I can fit everything I need on that modern monstrosity we call a Road Glide Ultra.

This guy has it down.

It might be fun to try to replicate his kit and get a few buddies together to make a run like his. I doubt I would get many who would be interested to try it though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I like reading those old articles.
There was a magazine printed by the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad about sporting in the Maine woods, when the only way to get around was on a horse or steam locomotive. I have a couple actual paper copies that were given to me.
Was a different time for sure.

I got a kick out of the 100 lb luggage rack capacity, on essentially a bicycle wheel. Mine has a sticker that says not to exceed 15 lbs. On a cast wheel, with a 1" axle on a modern tire. :rolleyes: My jacket weighs that much.

Must have been a lot less liability issues back in the day. .

Freebie-
http://google.com/books?id=JXA3AAAAIAAJ

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Never forget my first bike/camping trip. Bambridge bike fest. Dude flooded his old Pan Head around 1AM leaving the camp grounds. His buddy comes over to help and drops his cigarette. Caught 2 tents on fire but we managed to push our bikes to safety. Woke up at 6 AM to find my zipper on my tent super glued. Had to pee real bad and ended up cutting my way out. Nowadays if the hotel doesn't offer turn down service I consider it camping.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Gonna check that free book out
I captured that particular edition, for the picture of the rock cut on the cover.
They pulled the tracks up on the Greenville Branch in 1963, took down the trestle that was in front of the cut. We ride snowmobiles on the the railbed now, have a pic of my wife on her sled in the rock cut, pretty much the same picture.

In 1903 when they blasted out the cut, it was man taming the wilderness, and considered progress. if you wanted to do it now, there would be enviromental groups filing lawsuits all over for desecrating Mother Earth

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
Here's a good example of extreme motorcycle camping. (Mike I'm sure you've read Bennett's articles in the BDN.) The rest of you will find these guys to be amazing ... or flat out freakin' crazy!

Real Maine men on motorcycles:

http://bennetttheredonethat.bangordailynews.com/2015/02/02/video-camping-colder-than-russia/

By these guys' standards I no longer can be classified as a REAL Maine motorcycle man any longer. My idea now of "roughing it" is checking into a motel room and finding that the TV remote batteries are dead and I have to get up to change the channel! The house is for sale and I'm moving to Florida when it sells.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you read Aerostich's : Lightweight touring book "unsupported motorcycle travel for terminal cases "?
I think this article is in it along with 80 some pages of other vintage touring regalia.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Read the articles, guys are pretty hardcore. Urals are certainly unique.
Talked to a guy on one over in Norway that had an atv winch on the sidecar.
Toss the fishpoles ,12 pack and the dog into the sidecar, off to the fishing holes.

if I slept in my tent on the ground now, I'd need to be winched vertical in the morning, I think

1 - 11 of 11 Posts