Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a few weeks back while at Thunder beach about my bike acting like it wanted to stall when taking off from red lights while riding around 2 up and getting it good and hot. It feels just like im trying to take off from a dead stop in sevond gear intead of 1st. I did turn the heat manager thingy off but when im riding two up and in 80+ degree weather its still doing it.... doesn't do it when im riding alone nor when its not good and warm from riding 30 mins or more in this hotter weather we are having. I've also noticed in having a studder when rolling on the throttle until it hits around 3k rpm. Same factors have to be in place to cause it which is riding with the extra load of wife on back (140lb) and heated up good. Gonna take it back to the tuner and let him look at it but until then any ideas?

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark here but.... when you take off from a stop you said it feels like it's in second gear. Is the clutch slipping possibly? Try adjusting the clutch maybe?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is just a shot in the dark here but.... when you take off from a stop you said it feels like it's in second gear. Is the clutch slipping possibly? Try adjusting the clutch maybe?
I did think about that. By adjusting the clutch are you talking about just making a adjustment to the clutch cable and the nuts or is that something you have to do inside the primary at the clutch?

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Clutch adjustment video

Good Video on the clutch adjustment procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_vjd0GtCk

Only thing I use different is an offset box end wrench for turning the nut on the clutch.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I did think about that. By adjusting the clutch are you talking about just making a adjustment to the clutch cable and the nuts or is that something you have to do inside the primary at the clutch?
I am talking about the actual clutch adjustment in the primary. You will need to create a lot of slack in the cable/lever though by unadjusted the cable. It's really not hard to do. I'd start there and see how things go

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am talking about the actual clutch adjustment in the primary. You will need to create a lot of slack in the cable/lever though by unadjusted the cable. It's really not hard to do. I'd start there and see how things go
I got it adjusted, easy thing I've ever done on my bike (once I watched video)! The cable needed tightening for sure. Hopefully the actual clutch adjustment fixed that stalling feeling I'm having while hot and loaded with passenger. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
The best way to duplicate the symptoms is of course getting on it and riding it to get it hot again. So get out and ride :). Keep us posted

·
Registered
87 Posts
With your Stage 1 and TTS Mastertune, you should be able to have a very accurate tune and a great running bike. Tuners are like Doctors, you get the guy that finished 1st in med school and the guy who finished last and everything in between. Find a tuner with a lot of experience and a good rep with the TTS. He can also tell if the clutch is slipping on the dyno. I never felt any clutch slippage until my tuner told me he could see it during the dyno runs.
I also keep my little Asian spinner down to about 120 lbs. for increased performance.........LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats all it was. The wife and I took a 577 mile day trip down to Savannah GA to eay on Saturday and it didn't give any problems after that clutch adjustment I made. Sure was glad of that

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Thats all it was. The wife and I took a 577 mile day trip down to Savannah GA to eay on Saturday and it didn't give any problems after that clutch adjustment I made. Sure was glad of that
Being in the automotive industry all my life I've learned to always start the diagnosis with the simplest first. It was relatively easy to do and it was a free fix. Glad it worked out for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts