Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at doing some minor motor work to my 103. I currently have RC Components true duals, dobek performance tuner, and S&S dual runner intake. I am looking at doing a cam swap and thinking about doing the SE204 cams. I ride two up a lot and most of my riding are longer rides versus short rides to bike nights. I do not want to give up mileage for performance but would like a bit more umph when I hit the throttle with my wife on the back. I'd really like to hit 100hp but not sure where to start. I am in Evansville,In. in case that matters in recommending a tuner. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I am looking at doing some minor motor work to my 103. I currently have RC Components true duals, dobek performance tuner, and S&S dual runner intake. I am looking at doing a cam swap and thinking about doing the SE204 cams. I ride two up a lot and most of my riding are longer rides versus short rides to bike nights. I do not want to give up mileage for performance but would like a bit more umph when I hit the throttle with my wife on the back. I'd really like to hit 100hp but not sure where to start. I am in Evansville,In. in case that matters in recommending a tuner. Thanks in advance for any help.
IMO your asking for different things. Any cam that will give you 100 HP in a cam only 103, will give up some of your lower end TQ and MPG.

do some research on TQ cams like the Andrews 48, or the S&S TQ cams or the Dragos 565 TQ cam. These type of cams will give you the TQ and throttle response you are looking for.

IMO focus on TQ in the 2000 to 5000 RPM range...

BTW...my opinion and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks :D

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have the 204s in my 103, and ride very close to the same as you do. Go out and compare how the bike accelerates in 6th gear from 60 and 70mph. My bike accelerates from 60mph like your does from 70mph. Thats the difference you will feel. The 48s may be a bit stronger but will fall off sooner on the upper end. I believe its the 54s that have the same timing as the 204s only with higher lift to match the new heads.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Woods TW222 or TW555 cams are great cams for what you are trying to accomplish, I run the TW222 and it is a great low end mid range torque cam.
Don't think about horsepower THINK TORQUE, on the heavier touring models torque is where it's at and it is what you need to have a great touring bike. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the 204s in my 103, and ride very close to the same as you do. Go out and compare how the bike accelerates in 6th gear from 60 and 70mph. My bike accelerates from 60mph like your does from 70mph. Thats the difference you will feel. The 48s may be a bit stronger but will fall off sooner on the upper end. I believe its the 54s that have the same timing as the 204s only with higher lift to match the new heads.
TD... can you describe your cam pulls a little more? I'm looking at the 204 cam for my 103 with 1.752 rocker arms. This change makes the new lift at .556. How hard does your cam pull in the 2000 to 5000 range?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I did the Andrews 57H, D&D Fatcats and had it dyno'd. It hit right at 100hp and 113 tq. Love the response and pulls strong riding two up. Don't have to down shift to pass and climbs the hills just fine without downshifting. I've got the Woods 555's in my softail, I really like the 57's better in all aspects. But to each his own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.