Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
I'd look at the S&S 124 instead. For about a grand more you get a better built engine IMO.
Yes you will need to upgrade a few other driveline componets . You should have no problem doing normal riding , but why would you want to ? . :D

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Just thinking about doing it. No particular reason. Something different plus I heard a CVO with one. Sounds outstanding !!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I didn't mean why would you want to put a bigger motor in, but why would you want to drive normal with a bigger motor. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'll tell you next week. I'm going from a 103 to a S&S124LC. I'm pulling out my motor this weekend. My 124 is on it's way.

The 120 has no warranty and comes with a pressed crank and crappy lifters. IMO it isn't any better than a 103.

My buddy got me a hell of a deal on my 124 PM me and I'll give you his number for his shop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
120 disappointment

Friend with more $ than sense bought 120r. No where near hp claims. 5k plus thrown away. My 88 to 98 Dan Vance build was close in hp & torque for half the price. 120r is another detuned HD motor that needs tweaking to scream. Friend sold bike and lost his a$$. You have all been warned.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
No replacement for displacement. To get 130 out of a 103 would be hard. That would be one stressed out motor ready to pop. I hope you took care of the bottom end.

I was going to build my 107 this fall and pull the crank and send it out to darkhorse but if I was going to go that far I would bore the cases for 117 or 124 but then I would need a new set of cams and head work and jugs and pistons and so on and so on. I added it all up and a 124 with a warranty. A real warranty not no crappy as HD warranty that don't fix shit. I would be almost knocking on the 124's door.

·
Administrator
10,389 Posts
Canton , jees , when ya git it , we'll have ta hook up so's I can drool on it , see if we can get Mike , Darrell and Russ and them others off their lazy butts and hook up somewhere

JtB

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The 124 makes a lot more sense. And it's a proven winner.

But I'm curious if anyone knows if there would be a problem getting service on the road with a 124.. compared to a 120R.. Being that the 120R is a Harley motor. Will any dealership let any bike with a 124 roll in to work on? Just a thought I had that might give the 120R a point.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

But I'm curious if anyone knows if there would be a problem getting service on the road with a 124.. compared to a 120R.. Being that the 120R is a Harley motor. Will any dealership let any bike with a 124 roll in to work on? Just a thought I had that might give the 120R a point.
If I'd known that S&S was coming out with a 124 in Granite before I reached the point of no return with the 117, 'would have definitely gone that route.

'Don't know about any dealership but, there are plenty of S&S Dealers out there, my home Harley Dealer is one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A lot of Harley dealers are S&S dealers also. If they had had this crate motor available when I built my 117 for my fatboy that I just traded off, I would have been money ahead buying the crate motor and had a warranty. Not hard to match or even surpass the cost of a crate motor doing a custom build, especially when you go into the bottom end, then you still have no warranty.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts

Everything around the engine is still harley. I don't see a problem getting your 124 bike worked on at a dealer. Just lay down the cash. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
120r??

I did the 120R and I'm happy with it. I ride moderately aggressive, but not crazy. The 120R gives me MORE speed, torque and HP than I need or use. Just yesterday I had the bike up to 120mph and she had plenty more to give... that's fast enough for me on a touring bike. That was only the 2nd or 3rd time in 2 yrs. I owned a sport bike and a V-Rod, so I got that out of my system. However....it's there when I want/need it. No issues so far...

·
Registered
135 Posts
120r?

If you just want Supreme braggin' rights, then the 124" is the way to go. Another reason I did the 120R was because I wanted to try to keep the bike uniform with a Harley motor. At this point, moving the HP/TQ curve a few points to left or right doesn't matter much to me....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts