Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my 222 cams in at start of riding season. Bike seems to vibrate more above 3000 rpm in 6th gear than it used to? But- Im not really sure. I cant recall from last year if I had the same vibration before the cams or not? I may just be paying attn to it now- looking for something I may of screwed up. Call FM and they couldnt think of any reason the cams would start a new vibration above 3k.

So my ? is- do others 103's increase in vibration starting right about 3000- 3200 rpm?

Anything I should be checking?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 103 is bone stock right now and I feel what can best be described as a "buzz" in the handlebars between 2900 and 3200 rpm. Its not really noticeable in either the floor boards or the seat either.

I'm going to consider it as character unless it gets worse.

tj

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
You are in the torque band at that rpm. Should be smooth as glass. Maybe your vibration is something other than the engine? :confused: At that rpm in 6th gear you are going over 80. Could be wheel balance, flat spot on tire(s) from sitting.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
What was the solution to your problem? That's exactly what is happening to my bike with the same cams right now.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi my bike is a Rg special 2015 i notice today after a long ride weekend a bad vibration on my bike,my dealer has mounted the v/h power duals the bike has almost 3000 miles and the 1000 mile service is done,and this is what i found, this could gone realy bad so look at this bracket that should hold the system attached to rear of transmisson it was near to cut the rear tire,my dealer have some explanation to do

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the input. I found two issues with my exhaust. The bracket that holds the crossover pipe to the transmission was a little loose at the transmission. And the bolt that holds the exhaust pipe to the frame bracket was missing. I tightened everything up and replaced the bolt, now the problem seems fixed.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hi my bike is a Rg special 2015 i notice today after a long ride weekend a bad vibration on my bike,my dealer has mounted the v/h power duals the bike has almost 3000 miles and the 1000 mile service is done,and this is what i found, this could gone realy bad so look at this bracket that should hold the system attached to rear of transmisson it was near to cut the rear tire,my dealer have some explanation to do
WOW!!! I'm guessing your gonna get an I'm sorry and that's about it. I'm pretty sure you paid top dollar for that service. I'm glad you found the problem. Scary stuff there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi my bike is a Rg special 2015 i notice today after a long ride weekend a bad vibration on my bike,my dealer has mounted the v/h power duals the bike has almost 3000 miles and the 1000 mile service is done,and this is what i found, this could gone really bad so look at this bracket that should hold the system attached to rear of transmission it was near to cut the rear tire,my dealer have some explanation to do
I am the last one to defend a dealer but....That top bolt does not need to be removed to change the exhaust (I didn't remove it to change my exhaust). It "could" be a coincidence and have just loosened up? They could have removed it and failed to tighten/Loctite it upon re installation?

I make it a habit of checking over anything any mechanic, service personnel does to any of my vehicles or property. I check my oil before leaving the service place. I have found oil both low and overfilled at more than one auto dealership?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks for the input. I found two issues with my exhaust. The bracket that holds the crossover pipe to the transmission was a little loose at the transmission. And the bolt that holds the exhaust pipe to the frame bracket was missing. I tightened everything up and replaced the bolt, now the problem seems fixed.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Go over all of you exhaust and floor board and other fasteners; Lok-Tite and torque. I say this based on my 11 RGU developing a significant vibration coming out of the Rocky Mountain National Park a couple of years ago - that vibration seemed much like what you were describing. Pulled into Greeley HD and the mech found a loose fastener on the exhaust system in the area of the cam chest - vibration was gone and never had a problem with it again.

A Call-out to Greeley HD for that outstanding service experience - I rolled in loaded with gear (riding from AZ to SC) and they pulled my bike in, troubleshot and fixed it within a couple of hours. Oh and btw - no charge!!!

Hope that fixes your problem. Lets us know would you.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I am the last one to defend a dealer but....That top bolt does not need to be removed to change the exhaust (I didn't remove it to change my exhaust). It "could" be a coincidence and have just loosened up? They could have removed it and failed to tighten/Loctite it upon re installation?

I make it a habit of checking over anything any mechanic, service personnel does to any of my vehicles or property. I check my oil before leaving the service place. I have found oil both low and overfilled at more than one auto dealership?
Hi my dealer fix my problem today i went to the workshop and 20 min later they came to pick up my bike and 3 hour later they return it,bolts were loctite, so far so good.Yes in the future i will check my bike all by my self,but i bought a new bike because i was tired of all work i just want to ride it,

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi my dealer fix my problem today i went to the workshop and 20 min later they came to pick up my bike and 3 hour later they return it,bolts were loctite, so far so good.Yes in the future i will check my bike all by my self,but i bought a new bike because i was tired of all work i just want to ride it,
Trust me there was no criticism of you at all. I have had issues with new vehicles both car/truck and motorcycle at service departments. After you leave the property it becomes a he said/she said situation. A quick once over before you leave and checking the oil level can save aggravation later on.

Glad they took good care of you. Ride safe

·
Registered
889 Posts
Question: What loctite do you use on the exhaust bolts? Because i know heat will loosen loctite to help remove a bolt that has loctite on it. Just never heard of using Loctite on the exhaust.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Question: What loctite do you use on the exhaust bolts? Because i know heat will loosen loctite to help remove a bolt that has loctite on it. Just never heard of using Loctite on the exhaust.
+1 ^^^^^ I think it's a waste of loctite.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts

This is true however the one difference is that by adding heat to loctite in order to remove it you are also adding torque with a tool of some sort. The loctite will dry and help keep the threads from vibrating loose. I just keep a check on all the exhaust fasteners and re-torque them when needed but I can see where even standard loctite could help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Never use Loctite on exhaust bolts. On the one that bolts to the tranny bracket use either a flat washer, lock washer or a thread locking nut. Same goes for the one under the motor for the crossover. On the exhaust flange bolts it doesn't hurt to use some anti seize type coating to make it easier to get back off. Also on the spark plugs and the header plugs for the sensors and on the sensors themselves. Be sure and not get anti seize on the tip of the sensors or you will be buying new ones. Everything thing else on the bike pretty much gets loctite of blue or red. Saves a lot of headaches doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Never use Loctite on exhaust bolts. On the one that bolts to the tranny bracket use either a flat washer, lock washer or a thread locking nut. Same goes for the one under the motor for the crossover. On the exhaust flange bolts it doesn't hurt to use some anti seize type coating to make it easier to get back off. Also on the spark plugs and the header plugs for the sensors and on the sensors themselves. Be sure and not get anti seize on the tip of the sensors or you will be buying new ones. Everything thing else on the bike pretty much gets loctite of blue or red. Saves a lot of headaches doing it right the first time.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Smarty. I am a stickler for doing it right the first time. I feel sometimes i ask to many questions, but that is how i learn.

Reactions: Smarty
1 - 20 of 23 Posts