Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this will be helpful or not but it seemed to take care of a vibration I had that was driving me crazy. My 16 RGS has 8200 miles on it and it had this vibration that started about 1500 miles ago. It would come in and be noticeable between 2500 and 3000 rpms and it would go away if I pulled in the clutch. I could feel it in my handlebars and my left mirror would vibrate where vehicles behind me were blurry. I checked tires, wheel bearings, and exhaust for loose or bad parts. Besides my rear tire starting to cup, I could not find anything else wrong but the vibration was still there. I looked at the motor mounts and they looked good. I then inspected the engine stabilizer. I found it to be stuck and not able to rotate freely and it was twisted and stuck rolled forward, if that makes sense. The bar was not able to twist on the ball joints. I checked the torque and that was fine. I did lube the ball joints on both ends and freed up the shaft so it could rock back and forth by hand where before it was dry and stuck. I took the motorcycle out to see if it took care of the vibration and it was gone. It rides as smooth as it ever has. Not totally sure why except it was transferring the engine vibration straight into the frame since it seemed to be in a bind.

Jim

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure if this will be helpful or not but it seemed to take care of a vibration I had that was driving me crazy. My 16 RGS has 8200 miles on it and it had this vibration that started about 1500 miles ago. It would come in and be noticeable between 2500 and 3000 rpms and it would go away if I pulled in the clutch. I could feel it in my handlebars and my left mirror would vibrate where vehicles behind me were blurry. I checked tires, wheel bearings, and exhaust for loose or bad parts. Besides my rear tire starting to cup, I could not find anything else wrong but the vibration was still there. I looked at the motor mounts and they looked good. I then inspected the engine stabilizer. I found it to be stuck and not able to rotate freely and it was twisted and stuck rolled forward, if that makes sense. The bar was not able to twist on the ball joints. I checked the torque and that was fine. I did lube the ball joints on both ends and freed up the shaft so it could rock back and forth by hand where before it was dry and stuck. I took the motorcycle out to see if it took care of the vibration and it was gone. It rides as smooth as it ever has. Not totally sure why except it was transferring the engine vibration straight into the frame since it seemed to be in a bind.

Jim
Thanks for posting this
My '16 RGU developed the same vibration the day after riding about 8hrs in the rain on the way to Sturgis this year. I checked my stabilizer and as you stated mine was stuck. I had to use a flat head screwdriver to free it up. Its raining here so haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You da man!!! I just checked mine and its a little stiff. No vibrations yet but It does need to be lubed.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Anyone have a photo of the area in question? Where to lube?

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Need a picture of the area we are talking about. Pretty sure I know, but just a confirmation would be great. And what are we lubing it with?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front cylinder top to the frame. Its a rod with a heim joint on each end. Ones attached to the engine the other to the frame. https://www.wisconsinharley.com/harley-davidson-front-engine-mount-stabilizer-link-fits-xl-xr-models-16400020/
Thanks for posting the link to the part I was referring to. The only thing I can think of is if the link is stuck and can’t freely move, it doesn’t have a chance to absorb the vibration. I will take some pics tomorrow and show the position mine was stuck in. It would probably make more sense as to what I am trying to explain. Lol

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking the same thing. Need a picture of the area we are talking about. Pretty sure I know, but just a confirmation would be great. And what are we lubing it with?
At this point, I just used some Break Free CLP. Silicone spray lubricant would probably work but I would imagine it would dry out faster.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These pics show the stabilizer. The one pic where it is rolled forward, that was the position it was in when it was froze up and could not move freely. The other one shows how it is now and I can move it by hand. Like i said in the first post, the only thing I can think of is if it is stuck and when the engine is running, it transfers the vibration to the frame. Not a ton, but a noticeable vibration. Im sure there are other types of lube that would work I just had the Break Free CLP available.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
You guys might want to check it with the bike upright and not just on the jiffy stand. On my 2012 it would not move while on the jiffy stand but when I put the bike upright it was as free as a bird.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine is loose and squeaking, any suggestions on an upgrade? Like one with joints that are sealed
That I’m aware of, there aren’t really any “upgrades” ones other than appearance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys might want to check it with the bike upright and not just on the jiffy stand. On my 2012 it would not move while on the jiffy stand but when I put the bike upright it was as free as a bird.
It was stuck or froze on and off the jiffy stand. It’s now freed up both ways. Makes sense though since the engine would be putting a side load on it on the jiffy stand.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts