Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I finally took my bike in to get it Dyno tuned. I installed the woods tw555 cams,V&H pro pipe black with baffle plug removed and SE heavy breather. My current tuner is a power vision. I used a base map from fuel moto and did the auto tune basic for awhile. It always ran strong, but I didn't notice any difference in the auto tune basic. So I decided to take it in to a well known tuner in Hayward , California. Bob from RC cycles. I seen numerous Dyno sheets with my similar build and expected low 90's hp and 110 tq give or take, but 105hp and 118tq on a stock 103 heavy breather, pro pipe and tw555 cams. What am I missing, I mean Iam more than satisfied just don't understand, even the pre numbers are high 90's. After he was done and took it for a spin it feels like I got 10 more hp and tq, smooth as butter. I was there watching the whole time around 3hrs, what a day. Thank you Bob

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
I aint saying he is playing with the dyno , but 100 HP with a stock 103 is pushing the limits of my imagination .. Never put much faith in dyno numbers ..

JtB

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Good numbers.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I aint saying he is playing with the dyno , but 100 HP with a stock 103 is pushing the limits of my imagination .. Never put much faith in dyno numbers ..

JtB
not quite stock, he did have cams installed.

some dyno's are 'happier' than others and can read a little high, so that could be part of it. but the important thing is that you're happy with the way it runs.

my fm 107 with the same cams got 98/124.....

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Its very difficult to see, but one thing I can see is that he used STD correction factor.

If he had used the more accurate and comparable SAE correction factor, your numbers would have been about 5% lower, give or take.

It really bugs me when tuners do this because one of 2 things is happening:

1) they are knowingly deceiving their customers because they count on most people not knowing the differenc (bad)

Or...

2) they themselves dont know the difference (also bad)

Even if you take this into consideration the number still seem optimistically high, but if you have the cash to pay for another run at a different shop, I'd do that. And make sure they use SAE correction factor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm impressed that he smoothed out the power curve, it was to wavy on the early pull and he also moved your peak tq noticeably to the left. These are the things you pay a person to do that computers just dont quite get and would be a big part of the difference your feeling. Enjoy it :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feed back. What does a tuner have to gain by fudging the numbers and that extreme? All I know is I feel a huge difference in performance. It's like the feeling when you ride a 103 with stock cams and then ride one after your cam install. That's the same feeling I'm getting.
Can I post a short video? If so how

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. What does a tuner have to gain by fudging the numbers and that extreme? All I know is I feel a huge difference in performance. It's like the feeling when you ride a 103 with stock cams and then ride one after your cam install. That's the same feeling I'm getting.
Can I post a short video? If so how
Post it to Youtube then post a link here.

Again, its either willful deception or not knowing. Neither is good in my opinion.

But everyone compares charts, and most people dont know the difference, and most tuners want you to think they're great at getting every pony out of your bike.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bob did my 120r and it hasalways run amazing. I took it all the way up there from San Diego because he really is a step above anyone else I know anywhere else. He did use SAE on mine so I would surprised if he used STD on yours. He got 137/138 out of mine completely straight out of the crate and it is unbelievably smooth across the entire band. I have over 16000 miles on it (and 3 rear tires..) without an issue. Bob really is the best. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, that's why I took it to bob. I heard nothing but great reviews from previous customers. But I'll tell you what, he hates the power vision. I learned a whole bunch of 4 letter words I didn't know existed. Lol maybe that's why the std factor, I don't know. But I sure feel the difference.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
What does a tuner have to gain by fudging the numbers and that extreme?

The first liar always loses..........
The money to be won or lost by deception in the motorsports is huge, and it all starts with the bench racing. The guy with the lowest dyno numbers will always lose, regardless of what his track performance proves, however he'd better sell his BS fast, cuz it won't last long. Once the track performance starts proving out the blowhard, his business will drop dramatically.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Stock 103 with just cams and pipe.
I don't buy that 105/118 those are numbers with head work cam and pipe.
But if bike is running great that's what matters
You can always take it to a local dealer and have them do a pull on different Dyno to verify numbers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I will do that. Iam more than happy how it runs, but the numbers seem up there, I'm curious to see what it gets at the dealer. I will probably do that. It sure feels strong

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I think I will do that. Iam more than happy how it runs, but the numbers seem up there, I'm curious to see what it gets at the dealer. I will probably do that. It sure feels strong
If it runs good and you're happy with it, don't spend the extra money on a piece of paper you can't ride :D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If it runs good and you're happy with it, don't spend the extra money on a piece of paper you can't ride :D
I agree 100% with this^^^ numbers don't me anything, its hard to see the afr curve on the pic, but if the bike is running well and your happy the rest is just for bragging rights which means nothing when your riding your bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't worry about the numbers. I'm with Frank on this one, I know it wouldn't pull that on my dyno. And in the same thread someone else says they are getting 137/138 out of a crate 120R? Happy dyno for sure. Instead of focusing on the numbers, focus on the gains. He clearly improved your tune (at least at wide open throttle) and that's really what you pay a dyno tuner to do. I never really got the reason dyno operators plays the high numbers game, all it does it bite them in the ass in the long run.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bob did my 120r and it hasalways run amazing. I took it all the way up there from San Diego because he really is a step above anyone else I know anywhere else. He did use SAE on mine so I would surprised if he used STD on yours. He got 137/138 out of mine completely straight out of the crate and it is unbelievably smooth across the entire band. I have over 16000 miles on it (and 3 rear tires..) without an issue. Bob really is the best. Enjoy it!
The bike can run great but no way is a stock 120r is making 137/138. Spent way to much time and money on the projects and that is only possible with a generous dyno or misimofrmation on what is stock. Take 10% off that dyno number and you are more in the ballpark with a stock 120r. I am not saying the tune isn't great, or that it doesn't run great, but no way a stock 120r is making that power.

As far as the original poster is concerned take 10% off your numbers and you are probably right in the hunt. I don't think it matters whether you are in std or sae the difference on the dyno would only be 2 or 3. If it runs good and your happy, wouldn't worry about it to much except if you plan on running someone with those same numbers on a less generous dyno cause you are most likely gonna lose all else being equal. Really concerned try another 250i dyno without climate control and that fresh sea air being put into a room, that is if you just gotta know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts