Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a 107 build this spring and looking for some input on what you guys are running for pistons. Have a builder and machinest lined up,any advice for a newbie?

P

·
0 Posts
we use WISECO & CP,WISECO pretty much 90% of the time,but some guys like the full skirt of the CP`s (we`ve had no probs with either)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Plus 1 on prodrag.

We use
80% Wiseco
Wossner
JE..
Molley.. for our higher end with our custom liners.
Keith Black forge only.
All pistons teflon coat...

Big Bore Kits. Cyclinder and pistons only...
S&S kits
Rev Per Kits
Axtell kits
Dragos kits
And sometimes on 110 kits Tman

Many to pick from all are very good. My 2 Cents....

we use WISECO & CP,WISECO pretty much 90% of the time,but some guys like the full skirt of the CP`s (we`ve had no probs with either)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Plus 1 on prodrag.

We use
80% Wiseco
Wossner
JE..
Molley.. for our higher end with our custom liners.
Keith Black forge only.
All pistons teflon coat...

Big Bore Kits. Cyclinder and pistons only...
S&S kits
Rev Per Kits
Axtell kits
Dragos kits
And sometimes on 110 kits Tman

Many to pick from all are very good. My 2 Cents....
Hey Dragos, I'm curious why you state KB forged only. You don't like their hypereutectics? thx

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a supplier locally who sells a 107 piston made by woosner. How do they compare to a wiesco?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use the KB cast and they work fine but those builds are more of the ham and eggs variety. The Wossners I never had any luck with them and had several fronts seize at .0025 clearance.
In 107 I use exclusively CP

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Our proprietary piston and gasket kits, are manufactured for us, by Wiseco.
88-98" with up to an 8.5 cc dome, and 96-107" with up to a 4 cc dome on those. Valve reliefs to accept up to 2.100" valves, and large TDC lift cams.
We have been boring the 88"ers to 98"s since 2006, and the 96"-107" since 2007.
Wiseco was our only consideration when we wanted this done, as they are the worlds LARGEST powersports piston manufacterer, their manufactuing methods are so, that we've only witnessed about .0005" variation over the hundreds of pistons we have now used. They now manufacture all the pistons for S&S, and many of the pistons for the Moco's P&A group, and CVO group as well.:)
Scott

P

·
0 Posts
Hey Dragos, I'm curious why you state KB forged only. You don't like their hypereutectics? thx
IMO,the KB hypertecnics should be avoided on ANY build,seen them break either ring lands or the skirts too many times(not on our builds,I wont use them),their forged pistons seem to be OK (but ide stick with WISECO or CP)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
We try to use Wiseco 80% of the time.

Keith Black Forge is the only one we will use..
The cast Keith Black suck just like ProDrag said.

Wossner never had one issue with them never.......... Sorry Dewey.....:)

My fav is Molley.... but we only use them in our liners............ when we build blower bikes that make over 200hp 190 tq. with 15 lbs boost -20lbs.Turbo or Procharger.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have heard the KB cast (or any hypereutectic) is subject to catastrophic failure under certain conditions, like heavy detonation or running with too small ring end gaps (which breaks the top land off). Granted it appears KBs can be a problem more often than using HD OEM hypers, probably because folks are expecting more from them.

I have a set in my shovelhead, with no issues at all. But it's not being asked to put out a crap load of power.

I ain't married to em, was just curious.

It's funny we all have opinions on this stuff. I can never get the words "Seizeco" out of my head from the olden days. Not saying I wouldn't use em, but I tend to gravitate away from wiseco's. Have used them in the past without issues, but I also associate wiseco's to forged applications and I don't build drag or max effort engines. Probably this is Also from holding on to the past and associations to the forged piston rattles in V8's...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We've used Wiseco forged pistons now, in all our builds, from Iron XL's, some Panheads, Shovels, Evo XL's, Evo's almost since our business was concieved, and now T/C's, for the past 13 years.
Never, repeat never, have we ever had a problem, and our clients are our there, with hundreds of thousands of collective miles without issues as well.
If those forged pistons make noise, then whoever set the bores, shouldn't be.
Scott

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
We've used Wiseco forged pistons now, in all our builds, from Iron XL's, some Panheads, Shovels, Evo XL's, Evo's almost since our business was concieved, and now T/C's, for the past 13 years.
Never, repeat never, have we ever had a problem, and our clients are our there, with hundreds of thousands of collective miles without issues as well.
If those forged pistons make noise, then whoever set the bores, shouldn't be.
Scott
I would agree to that comment re: forged pistons and bore fit...

The only piston that ever failed me was an S&S cast in my shovelhead. I take full responsibility for that failure...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have heard the KB cast (or any hypereutectic) is subject to catastrophic failure under certain conditions, like heavy detonation or running with too small ring end gaps (which breaks the top land off). Granted it appears KBs can be a problem more often than using HD OEM hypers, probably because folks are expecting more from them.

I have a set in my shovelhead, with no issues at all. But it's not being asked to put out a crap load of power.

I ain't married to em, was just curious.

It's funny we all have opinions on this stuff. I can never get the words "Seizeco" out of my head from the olden days. Not saying I wouldn't use em, but I tend to gravitate away from wiseco's. Have used them in the past without issues, but I also associate wiseco's to forged applications and I don't build drag or max effort engines. Probably this is Also from holding on to the past and associations to the forged piston rattles in V8's...
I have built and bored cylinders for many with the KB hypers and I set the end gaps not the customers. Screw up the ring gaps and I guarentee you you will have issues. Those photos are all over the net. Never a comeback. They are for the lower end TW37 type builds and have the advantage of adequate valve reliefs not seen on the MOCO cast piston. That said I have no issues with any mentioned except the Wossner and that may have been because I set them too tight (.0025).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
setting the gaps off aint going to break a skirt (seen it 3 times)
Ouch. What the hell would cause that?

I honestly haven't paid a lot of attention to what the KBs are doing since I put a set in my shovel about 11-12yrs ago. I set gaps large and run the timing a few degrees retarded. BUT I think we fit them on the tight side, which has always kinda nagged at me... I've heard of top ring land failures but never heard of the skirts breaking. I'll probably revisit all that when I crack the motor open as it needs a new crank something fierce and I happen to have a set of stroker wheels on a shelf begging for a home. :D

Anyway, good info. When I crack this motor open I'll probably go with Wisecos or CPs. Almost certainly going with a 107" and have a set of donor cylinders ready and waiting... Dewey got me thinking, I presume no valve relief concerns with Wiseco or CPs - guess I better do a little research...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kirby
I reply respectfully and not to discredit you and I am not suggesting you should run out and try some more KB hypers.

Here is a direct quote from KB Silvolite
"Top Ring End Gap is often a major player when it comes to piston problems. Most top land damage on race pistons appears to lift the land into the combustion chamber. The reason is that the top ring ends butt and lock the piston at TDC. Crank rotation pulls the piston down the cylinder while leaving at least part of the ring and top land at TDC. Actual running end gap will vary depending on the engine heat load. Piston alloy, fuel mixture, spark advance, compression, cooling system capacity, duty cycle, and Hp per c.i. all combine to determine an engine's heat load."

95" motors I set at .028 and that is on the lower side,
Their instructions state:
Light duty .0065/in bore
Med. .008
Heavy duty .01

IE 95" 3.875 x .0065= .025

1 - 16 of 16 Posts