Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any out there? I really don't need the bike to be too much louder than stock. I like the way it runs now and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The new Vance and Hines Torquer 450 was designed specifically for the stock M8 with the stock header. It's supposedly their most powerful option that also adds a much better sound. There's tons of Youtube vids already.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I’m running TAB 4.5” mufflers with the 1.75” baffles. I hate the way the stock mufflers looked and these are nice. A little deeper then stock and break in nice and add a little more sound. No low end loss and doesn’t drowned out the radio.

·
Registered
627 Posts
And after Torquer 450’s have been on awhile they really sound good

Reactions: V-man

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
177 Posts
Another vote for the S&S GNX. They’re 4.5” cans that look good, have a nice rumble and with their insert, no loss of torque - that I can feel anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems that you answered your own question. If you like the way it runs, don’t mess with it. Saying this, I’ve tried a few different configurations and tunes and can say the best combination so far is the stock muffler on a “de-catted” stock header with a modified air cleaner and Harley’s stage 1 tune. This is on a stock 114 with factory cam. This combination has resulted in excellent driveability with just the right amount of exhaust “tone”. I prefer to keep things reasonably quiet. The bike runs fantastic...pulls hard all the way to the rev limiter...and has enough “sound” to be pleasing.
I was surprised by the huge loss of throttle response with other “open” or large baffle mufflers and ended up with this combo. I believe that’s why you see some of these companies selling “restrictors” or “torque inserts” now for their mufflers. Loud doesn’t always translate into power...especially when overall driveability is important.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Why not try an affordable muffler one that you can change baffles to met you needs and proven to work well. Fuel moto Jack pot at least worth a look. Simple answers often over looked. Come in Black or chrome straight cut or down slash

·
Registered
349 Posts
I installed the S&S,MK 45 in 4.5. Really filled the bike out. Looks right. Baffles in sound great and can be heard across parking lot. However it doesn't sound loud just deep. Baffles out with 2 allen head and sound changes a little. I like it better. at highway speeds when you accelerate your bikes riding with you know its go time. No noticable torque changed by the seat of my pants or ride enjoyment.

Edited from S&S Street Cannons which is incorrect to S&S MK45 which is correct. Credit V-Man

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
666 Posts
It seems that you answered your own question. If you like the way it runs, don’t mess with it. Saying this, I’ve tried a few different configurations and tunes and can say the best combination so far is the stock muffler on a “de-catted” stock header with a modified air cleaner and Harley’s stage 1 tune. This is on a stock 114 with factory cam. This combination has resulted in excellent driveability with just the right amount of exhaust “tone”. I prefer to keep things reasonably quiet. The bike runs fantastic...pulls hard all the way to the rev limiter...and has enough “sound” to be pleasing.
I was surprised by the huge loss of throttle response with other “open” or large baffle mufflers and ended up with this combo. I believe that’s why you see some of these companies selling “restrictors” or “torque inserts” now for their mufflers. Loud doesn’t always translate into power...especially when overall driveability is important.
open, flowing exhaust is really not an upgrade on a street machine of any type...unless one does some radical changes to the engine, and a cam swap is not radical. you hit on what a stock motor needs, a little bit of a tune and maybe the loss of the cat...but engines today are proof the cat isnt an inhibitor. its engineered into the performance of engines on all types of vehicles. On these 114's, IMO, just an autotuner and maybe a 'cooler' looking air cleaner itself is all one really needs...the rest is personal choice but the gains, are miniscule in the scheme of things, but if one likes the 'difference' a name air cleaner or decatted pipe, or cam does, then its all that matters...just my .02...Ride It!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another vote for the S&S GNX. They’re 4.5” cans that look good, have a nice rumble and with their insert, no loss of torque - that I can feel anyway.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GNX are different than the Grand Nationals, correct?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems that you answered your own question. If you like the way it runs, don’t mess with it. Saying this, I’ve tried a few different configurations and tunes and can say the best combination so far is the stock muffler on a “de-catted” stock header with a modified air cleaner and Harley’s stage 1 tune.
The only reason I want to mess with it is that the stock exhaust note is a little too quiet for me. Your solution sounds great... except that I've had a few dealers tell me that decatting will void warranty- so that's not an option for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only reason I want to mess with it is that the stock exhaust note is a little too quiet for me. Your solution sounds great... except that I've had a few dealers tell me that decatting will void warranty- so that's not an option for me.
I don’t condone breaking the law, of course. I bought a pipe on ebay that a guy decatted and re sold for about $140.00. Kept my original. If I ever need to go to dealership for service it won’t be that hard to swap pipes. Haven’t needed to for 9k so far. 😙

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Decating to get more sound is a waste of time. Pulled to many CAT to go for that. Maybe a very slight change in tone but so hard to notice. Same with the flow of exhaust unless you have an bit of a build in the engine cam ect the CAT flows pretty free. Most of any effect of taking CAT out pretty much is just fooling your self. What to make the bike sound good put a good cam in it. That changes everything.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t condone breaking the law, of course. I bought a pipe on ebay that a guy decatted and re sold for about $140.00. Kept my original. If I ever need to go to dealership for service it won’t be that hard to swap pipes. Haven’t needed to for 9k so far. 😙
That's great, if it works out that way... The last time I broke down I was 1200 miles from home and stranded, towed to a strange dealership and the bike needed a new head. If I had been de-catted I don't know what would have happened, not taking that chance. If I didn't travel around so much on the bike maybe it would be a different story.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts