Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I have run MULTIPLE slips on Stock M8s and from the Butt Dyno, I highly doubt you would even feel a difference - V&H, Reinharts, CVO Cans with Full Sac Baffles to my latest, Kromeworks......feel zero difference in performance with a Stock Head pipe, AC and tune....and in all honesty, not a huge diff in sound either...outside of the CVO Cans - The M8 in stock trim just don't get down like that - Once you blow that packing to hell, most all sound the same...and will only REALLy sound different over 3800 rpm - Start Up, Idle, and low Rs, pretty much the same....at least from what I have seen, felt and heard

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have run MULTIPLE slips on Stock M8s and from the Butt Dyno, I highly doubt you would even feel a difference - V&H, Reinharts, CVO Cans with Full Sac Baffles to my latest, Kromeworks......feel zero difference in performance with a Stock Head pipe, AC and tune....and in all honesty, not a huge diff in sound either...outside of the CVO Cans - The M8 in stock trim just don't get down like that - Once you blow that packing to hell, most all sound the same...and will only REALLy sound different over 3800 rpm - Start Up, Idle, and low Rs, pretty much the same....at least from what I have seen, felt and heard
Well, seems like there are folks on both sides of the fence on this issue (go figure) :LOL:
I've been picking a lot of brains. Called Fuel Moto and asked their opinion on what cans to go with and they said they don't use any large diameter free flowing mufflers on stock M8's unless the customer absolutely insists on those particular mufflers. Even then they advise those customers that they will lose low end torque as a result. Fwiw.
I was a bit disappointed that they couldn't or didn't give me a little more input on how the VH Torquers perform.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Well, seems like there are folks on both sides of the fence on this issue (go figure) :LOL:
I've been picking a lot of brains. Called Fuel Moto and asked their opinion on what cans to go with and they said they don't use any large diameter free flowing mufflers on stock M8's unless the customer absolutely insists on those particular mufflers. Even then they advise those customers that they will lose low end torque as a result. Fwiw.
I was a bit disappointed that they couldn't or didn't give me a little more input on how the VH Torquers perform.
The large diameter mufflers I have use the same baffles as the smaller ones. Don’t know if that’s the case with all of them but it is with TABs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The large diameter mufflers I have use the same baffles as the smaller ones. Don’t know if that’s the case with all of them but it is with TABs.
Yeah, I think that why FM made it clear to say both large diameter and free flowing, meaning a large baffle or none at all, etc. basically anything that eliminates a lot of back pressure... but apparently some disagree, so... I remain without a definitive answer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
hope you guys are right! just ordered torquer 450s
I love the sound of mine. Really get louder after a few thousand miles. As far as torque loss, I installed a cam and power duels at the same time so have no idea

·
Registered
20 Posts
hope you guys are right! just ordered torquer 450s
You WILL notice the loss of low rpm torque compared to the stock setup. It’s a substantial difference. Many people have these exhaust changes made when the bikes are new, so never even know the difference. If you haven’t ridden one enough before making the modifications, you won’t know the difference. The huge open baffles in the so called “torquers” are obviously “tuned” for sound and not performance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You WILL notice the loss of low rpm torque compared to the stock setup. It’s a substantial difference. Many people have these exhaust changes made when the bikes are new, so never even know the difference. If you haven’t ridden one enough before making the modifications, you won’t know the difference. The huge open baffles in the so called “torquers” are obviously “tuned” for sound and not performance.
I take it You have seen the VH Torquers baffle? It's big, flow through?

·
Registered
16 Posts
V&H claims it’s the largest baffles they’ve ever developed. And I guess they were designed for use on the stock header. I have the power duals header and just ordered the Torquer 450s to replace my Eliminator 400s. Hopefully I don’t feel a loss of low end torque on the butt dyno, but you guys have me second guessing my purchase.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I put the V&H Torquer 450's on my 2020 RGL at the same time as I did Cobra 2-1-2 pro chamber head pipe, Arless Ness hi-flow breather, and tuned it all with a V&H FuelPak 3 tuner. There is a reason why V&H named these "Torquers". The baffles inside aren't there just for the sound.... they help create great back-pressure and together with the right 2-1-2 head pipe and the right tune the torque is significantly MORE than stock. Oh and the sound.... gives me a chubby all day long LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That’s awesome! I’m glad to hear that. I would imagine they’ll be okay with a V&H header as well. I use the Harley Pro Street Tuner due to having a 5-year warranty. Id love to use the V&H FuelPak though, I just don’t want to void any warranty. H-D covers their own tuner and tunes, not sure about aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
If you are ONLY doing the slip-on, you should be fine with the Harley Pro Street Tuner. If however you are also replacing the head pipe, which means no catalytic converter, and by doing that you really should also open up the airflow with a higher flowing air box, then you're probably going to want to add on the H-D smart tune pro automatic tuning module. The Pro Tuner alone won't be able to give you a decent tune with that much more airflow.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I installed the S&S,MK 45 in 4.5. Really filled the bike out. Looks right. Baffles in sound great and can be heard across parking lot. However it doesn't sound loud just deep. Baffles out with 2 allen head and sound changes a little. I like it better. at highway speeds when you accelerate your bikes riding with you know its go time. No noticable torque changed by the seat of my pants or ride enjoyment.

Edited from S&S Street Cannons which is incorrect to S&S MK45 which is correct. Credit V-Man
Yep. That's my vote. Love mine. Added the Harley Ventilator air energy and the SEPST until the warranty is up. Installed the map at home with my laptop. Bike runs and sounds great.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I just don’t want to void any warranty. H-D covers their own tuner and tunes, not sure about aftermarket.
HD can void Your warranty for using any other tuner than HD's. They can also void Your warranty for removing the catalytic converter from the system.
Sounds like good news about the Torquers!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
You're exactly correct up until the sound. These MK45s are louder than any muffler I have ever heard on a stock bike. And the deep tone is unmatched by any other slip on I've had or heard. With the stock header. I'm sure when I put an open header on it I'll need the dB reducers in.

Hope all is well Brother man.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are ONLY doing the slip-on, you should be fine with the Harley Pro Street Tuner. If however you are also replacing the head pipe, which means no catalytic converter, and by doing that you really should also open up the airflow with a higher flowing airbag, then you're probably going to want to add on the H-D smart tune pro automatic tuning module. The Pro Tuner alone won't be able to give you a decent tune with that much more airflow.
I replaced my header, mufflers, air cleaner, and cams a while back. All at different times. I’ve updated the SEPST each time but you’re right, it only shows “SE high flow” or “Street Performance” exhaust. No real options for header or mufflers past the MoCo’s Screaming Chicken stuff. It also doesn’t give you selections for air cleaner, I guess they assume even the different Harley branded air cleaners are the same.
The HDForums has some discussions on the H-D Smart Tune Pro, and it seems to me that it’s disliked. It does exactly what the ECM already does, with the exception of the wide-band O2 sensors. I wonder if the stealership can give me a good dyno tune for my configuration.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The HDForums has some discussions on the H-D Smart Tune Pro, and it seems to me that it’s disliked. It does exactly what the ECM already does, with the exception of the wide-band O2 sensors. I wonder if the stealership can give me a good dyno tune for my configuration.
In a nutshell, the problem with any of the HD stuff is that it is limited to perform inside of a narrow window that is dictated by big brother (in order to conform to set emissions standards) and implemented by the Moco's software. The techs that are allowed tuning access are only permitted to make adjustments that fall within that window, even though the bike would benefit from tuning (re: fuel enrichment) outside of it.
At least that was how a dealership "tuning guru" explained it to me. It makes perfect sense, their hands are tied and so are their tunes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In a nutshell, the problem with any of the HD stuff is that it is limited to perform inside of a narrow window that is dictated by big brother (in order to conform to set emissions standards) and implemented by the Moco's software. The techs that are allowed tuning access are only permitted to make adjustments that fall within that window, even though the bike would benefit from tuning (re: fuel enrichment) outside of it.
At least that was how a dealership "tuning guru" explained it to me. It makes perfect sense, their hands are tied and so are their tunes.
That makes sense. For EPA and for warranty purposes. For now, I guess I'm stuck what I have due to my warranty.

Too bad HD cant make a more powerful touring motor in stock configuration, the 131 is getting there but I think it's about maxed out. The new Harley Pan America is only a 1250cc and its puts out 145HP and 90 ft lbs or torque. I'm sure a nice cam will boost its torque where it's needed for a 900lb touring bike. I figured the new Indian Thunderstroke motor would push HD to develop a torquier touring motor. Sorry, I know thats for another thread...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Another good choice is a set of CVO mufflers put fullsac baffles in them plus wrapping and you will get a good tone and keep your back pressure. Mufflers are fairly common usually sell for around 100-200 dollars plus the Fullsac. Most use the 1.75”or 2” baffles.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts