Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was at the local dealer this evening, owner said the factory just released a 117" drop in for 4" bore 110" ers. Don't know compression or other details yet.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Read this on the CVO site a little while ago. Could be interesting depending on cost and reliability.

One other thing it makes me wonder about. Will the 110 become the standard engine and the 117 a CVO engine?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression is 9.9:1, flat top pistons. I like that. With some port work on the 110 heads, should be a runner.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Wonder how piston stability will be with the 4 1/8" bore with the OEM taper-top rods?
HD must have confidence in their cranks(?!?)in order to let folks step up to this cubic inch, but then again the Squealin' Seagull kits are not known for robust output.
Scott

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
With only 3 more cubes than a 117" drop-on, the 120R's we've seen, have slipped once you step them up.
Different piston weight, affecting the balance factor?
Makes one think.
Only time will tell.
Scott

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting post as I have been talking with the local dealer about an upgrade to my 103HO and my friends 110 CVO bike. Just yesterday he told me about the SE 117 kit for the CVO bikes with wet heads. He didn't have all of the specs at the time, but figured he would have them in the next couple of days. He also seemed to believe it would come in around $3k. Not sure if that was parts only or parts and labor. If everything looks good my friend will likely go this route. I am deciding between just doing cams or doing a complete 107" build.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
With only 3 more cubes than a 117" drop-on, the 120R's we've seen, have slipped once you step them up.
Different piston weight, affecting the balance factor?
Makes one think.
Only time will tell.
Scott
I'm not following your post here, Scott. Can you explain that a little better?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Interesting post as I have been talking with the local dealer about an upgrade to my 103HO and my friends 110 CVO bike. Just yesterday he told me about the SE 117 kit for the CVO bikes with wet heads. He didn't have all of the specs at the time, but figured he would have them in the next couple of days. He also seemed to believe it would come in around $3k. Not sure if that was parts only or parts and labor. If everything looks good my friend will likely go this route. I am deciding between just doing cams or doing a complete 107" build.
You wouldn't regret doing a 107" build. I'm very happy with my 107", very smooth and pulls nice with 116.9HP & 136.1TQ

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm not following your post here, Scott. Can you explain that a little better?
Thanks
Once robust power(ie not HD) is introduced to a 120R, to bring those on par with where they deliver, we've witnessed the flywheels slip on the crankpin.
If the same is introduced to a 110" crank with all that surronds a good 117", then the stage is then set to also sissor the OE, untouched crank.
Also the taper-top OE connecting rod is much better supported with a fully supported wrist pin, via S&S rods or a Hoban Bros./Darkhorse Crankworks H-beam units. :)
Scott

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Once robust power(ie not HD) is introduced to a 120R, to bring those on par with where they deliver, we've witnessed the flywheels slip on the crankpin.
If the same is introduced to a 110" crank with all that surronds a good 117", then the stage is then set to also sissor the OE, untouched crank.
Also the taper-top OE connecting rod is much better supported with a fully supported wrist pin, via S&S rods or a Hoban Bros./Darkhorse Crankworks H-beam units. :)
Scott
Gotcha. Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While there are cranks out there that have failed, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of 107", 110", 120R's that have, or in excess of 120hp/tq still running on the stock lower end. Boring standard cylinders to 107" to save case boring, along the same idea here. The steel liners in these cylinders pretty thick except for the spigot. HD just might have a winner.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I remember when it was widely spoken by HD dealers, that boring to 98", or 107" was surely castostrophic engine failure.
Too hot, never last, etc, etc, etc.
Now that the moco bores to an even thinner spigot wall thickness (ie approx .035")albeit different material, the world is good.
We'll have to wait and see. :)
Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts