Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for pictures of bikes with 12 inch bars and windshields.

I have a 12 windvest and will be putting on 12 inch factory 47 bars.

This would be the ideal picture but any picture to show representation of what the bike looks like from ride position as well as looking from the front straight on.

All help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ask, and it shall be given to you.

12" Factory 47 with a 12" Freedom Shields Sport. Not the wind vest, but should give you a pretty good idea. I really like the combo.

Different seat now. Slightly different angles to give you an idea of where the meat hooks are in relation to the windshield.

-c

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks nice. Did you keep the bars in alignment with your fork angle?

Been debating on 12 or 14

I'm 6'3" with long arms bit my seat is cut down an inch and back 1.5 so on full turn my hands barely reach the far grip when I'm sitting on bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That looks nice. Did you keep the bars in alignment with your fork angle?

Been debating on 12 or 14

I'm 6'3" with long arms bit my seat is cut down an inch and back 1.5 so on full turn my hands barely reach the far grip when I'm sitting on bike.
I am 6'3", 195lbs, with 38" sleeve length (monkey arms). The 12" bars are not a problem. I debated 12" and 14" length. Never rode with ape hangers before this. Not that I would really call this ape hangers. More of a mini-ape I guess. The bars are rotated forward as far as the pin would allow. They are not inline with the fork tube angle. The new seat sits me back 1.5" or so but up a bit. With the backrest, I am forced to sit a little taller in my seat and gives me better riding posture. Without it, I have a terrible habit of slouching down.

Seems that a lot of guys our size are going with 14" or 16" bars. I have zero complaints, but firmly believe that if I went 14" I would love them just as much. I don't know that I could have committed on a 16" set though.

-c

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 6'3", 195lbs, with 38" sleeve length (monkey arms). The 12" bars are not a problem. I debated 12" and 14" length. Never rode with ape hangers before this. Not that I would really call this ape hangers. More of a mini-ape I guess. The bars are rotated forward as far as the pin would allow. They are not inline with the fork tube angle. The new seat sits me back 1.5" or so but up a bit. With the backrest, I am forced to sit a little taller in my seat and gives me better riding posture. Without it, I have a terrible habit of slouching down.

Seems that a lot of guys our size are going with 14" or 16" bars. I have zero complaints, but firmly believe that if I went 14" I would love them just as much. I don't know that I could have committed on a 16" set though.

-c
I was hoping to keep bars inline with the forks for aesthetic reasons. I have monkey arms as well. Maybe I should lean towards 14 in then. Hell I don't know lol. This is why I haven't bought any

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are you anywhere near the Philadelphia area? Or Eastern seaboard from say Maine to Virginia, maybe as far west as Ohio.

If you are, we can figure out a place to meet up and you can get an idea of what the bars are like.

Are you planning on getting chrome or black bars? If you go with the 14" and they are too tall, we could work out a swap if you regretted them. Can't imagine that would really be the case though.

-c

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Northeast Indiana and I'm looking at getting flat black bars

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Archer, do you wish you would have gone 14s? How's your grip on the bars at full turn

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey Archer, do you wish you would have gone 14s? How's your grip on the bars at full turn
Nope I don't regret 12s at all. I am 6'3" and they fit perfect for me. My cousin who is 6'5" has 14s. I can ride his bike but they are a bit to much for me. I have no grip issues at full lock. I like to do slow tight maneuver in parking lots and haven't had an issue as of yet. I do currently have a DG airhawk seat that is low so when I switch to a Mustang seat maybe the bar height will be different but I'm not expecting it to be significant.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope I don't regret 12s at all. I am 6'3" and they fit perfect for me. My cousin who is 6'5" has 14s. I can ride his bike but they are a bit to much for me. I have no grip issues at full lock. I like to do slow tight maneuver in parking lots and haven't had an issue as of yet. I do currently have a DG airhawk seat that is low so when I switch to a Mustang seat maybe the bar height will be different but I'm not expecting it to be significant.
Factory 47 shows my 2012 stock bars are 10inch. That makes me a little nervous to only do 12s. I've never changed bars on a bike so I'm completely clueless

·
Registered
572 Posts
Factory 47 shows my 2012 stock bars are 10inch. That makes me a little nervous to only do 12s. I've never changed bars on a bike so I'm completely clueless
Believe me there is a far difference in what the OEM 10" bars are compared to these 12". Not sure how each company measures but my 12" bars are definitely more than 2" taller than my OEM bars on my 2012. I had Trask +2 bars on the 2016 before these. Good news is bars are super easy to swap on the RG.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe me there is a far difference in what the OEM 10" bars are compared to these 12". Not sure how each company measures but my 12" bars are definitely more than 2" taller than my OEM bars on my 2012. I had Trask +2 bars on the 2016 before these. Good news is bars are super easy to swap on the RG.
Well I guess I should leave some extra wire then if I decide to go to 14s

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How tall can you go on bars before you have to change out the cables?
I'm new to this but I believe at 12 inch you have to on most bars if your bike is a pre 2013. 2015+ I think after 12 inch you have to.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine had plenty of wire left to do 14" bars if I wanted. Higher than 14s you will have to add extensions and new clutch and break lines. This is for the 2015+ bikes.
And archer saves the day

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
again, pretty much comes down to the maker of the bars as well. Since they all seem to have a different way of measuring. Width also comes to play as well. But from my reading around on the 15's and up, seems after 12", extensions are needed as a rule of thumb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts