Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my shocks are 12" stock , 13 shocks can't go on, right? I bought a pair of legend revo a . I wanted stock height , and they send me 13" shocks. Am I looking at this the wrong way ? Cause it doesn't seem like they will fit.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
13" will fit. I'd give them a call & explain they sent the incorrect size. 13" will increase seat height. Don't settle for something you didn't order. Good luck.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
If you have an RGU you have 13" shocks, if you have a RGX it has 12" shocks,:D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Either one fit on RGC or RGU all depend what you like. If lowering your bike can use the 12" or like more travel go to 13".
Stock sizes RGC=12",RGU=13".

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
If my shocks are 12" stock , 13 shocks can't go on, right? I bought a pair of legend revo a . I wanted stock height , and they send me 13" shocks. Am I looking at this the wrong way ? Cause it doesn't seem like they will fit.
did you tell them what kind of bike you had? stock height could be 13'' if you had a touring bike other than the custom, or street glide (or the defunct roadking custom). if you aren't short legged, you might actually like the longer shocks better, they are supposed to ride several times better than the short ones. i couldn't tell you, my legs are too short to go with the 13s.

but, to answer your question, yes they will fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Question, I got a RGU, it’s stock right now. Would like to lower the seat height by swapping out to 12” rears. How much handling will I give up?

Also, since I’m losing a inch of travel, would like to invest with a good brand shock, Progressive one the best?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wouldn't you have a 1" sag on 13 " shocks , so they would be the same ride height as the 12" factory air shocks that have no sag?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Question, I got a RGU, it’s stock right now. Would like to lower the seat height by swapping out to 12” rears. How much handling will I give up?

Also, since I’m losing a inch of travel, would like to invest with a good brand shock, Progressive one the best?
Progressive makes a 12" shock that has the same travel as a 13" shock I think it is the 940 or 944 series but check to make sure. Those shocks are suppose to lower the bike without losing riding comfort.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Progressive 944"'s measure 13" eye to eye prior to install but once they are on the bike sit at a 12" height. We installed a set here a few weeks ago and I double checked this as logically it made no sense how they could come out of the box and measure 13" and then 12" when on the bike.

But that is exactly how it worked out. I am yet to talk to the customer regarding their performance as he is in Sturgis right now but I'll see how he likes them when he gets back.

A stock 13" air shock is not going to sit at a 12" height. I don;t know about going from 13" to 12" but I went from my stock 12" air shocks to 13" Harley "Premium Ride" shocks. Notice the words Premium Ride are in quotations. They are not bad but there are certainly better options out there as well. Got these used off a forum for cheap so I won;t complain. I have run JRI's on my previous Road Glide and have now decided that spending another thousand dollars on rear shocks is not worth the extra money to me personally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Hogpro-

I just read up about the Progressive 944's last night and looks like that's the ticket for me. I just need a month or so to save up the scratch for those.

Looking forward to hear about your customers review on these.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
+1^^^^^.

I agree a $1000 for 2 rear shocks is crazy.

·
Registered
852 Posts

It depends on how hard you ride. If you are dragging boards at the stock height you will drag much sooner (give up lean angle) at 1" lower. I went from stock shocks on my streetglide to Ohlins 3-3 from motorcycle metal ($600). I had already lowered the front 1" for my 21" wheel with a progressive drop in kit and ricor intiminators (kept front at stock ride height). I did notice a little more lean angle with the ohlins but since the sag was about 1/2" it didn't make a huge difference. The big things I noticed were less bottoming and no front end dive. No really handling improvement maybe a little tighter. I will probably eventually go with monotubes on the RG and just go with a little heavier oil in the stock shocks. The fancy ones aren't enough bang for the buck for me on the Ultra with 13" shocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts