Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
12 inch Long Ride Shields Stingray Dark Tint review

Hey all, purchased a Long Ride Shields 12 inch Stingray and figured I would post a review of what I thought. Im 6'3" with a 32 or 34 inseam. So ive got a long torso. I have the stock seat to boot.

First, I bought this for my 15 RGS to replace the stock shield. I was looking at quite a few different ones but i the end went with the LRS because of the cheap intro price. 84$ and like 102 with shipping. Figured since it was half of what most others cost, wouldnt matter to me much if I didnt like it. But anythings better than the stock shield.

Construction is just fine as according to thickness, its the same as stock. I only got to take it for a breif test ride, maybe 10 miles, which 90% of it I had a very strong cross wind. So i cant give a completely accurate review on the performance just yet. I did notice however, the air was being pushed much higher than stock, as expected, probably to the top of my forhead. The weather is supposed to warm up again this weekend so im hoping to get out and give it a good trial then, and will report my findings.

Until then, I took a few pictures so everyone can see how it looks. I have to add, the pictures do make it look very touring like and not as flattering as one would be hoping for. I was originaly going to but a KW 14 inch sport because I loved how it looked, but went with this instead. Im very happy with the way it looks, and happy I pulled the trigger on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey all, purchased a Long Ride Shields 12 inch Stingray and figured I would post a review of what I thought. Im 6'3" with a 32 or 34 inseam. So ive got a long torso. I have the stock seat to boot.

First, I bought this for my 15 RGS to replace the stock shield. I was looking at quite a few different ones but i the end went with the LRS because of the cheap intro price. 84$ and like 102 with shipping. Figured since it was half of what most others cost, wouldnt matter to me much if I didnt like it. But anythings better than the stock shield.

Construction is just fine as according to thickness, its the same as stock. I only got to take it for a breif test ride, maybe 10 miles, which 90% of it I had a very strong cross wind. So i cant give a completely accurate review on the performance just yet. I did notice however, the air was being pushed much higher than stock, as expected, probably to the top of my forhead. The weather is supposed to warm up again this weekend so im hoping to get out and give it a good trial then, and will report my findings.

Until then, I took a few pictures so everyone can see how it looks. I have to add, the pictures do make it look very touring like and not as flattering as one would be hoping for. I was originaly going to but a KW 14 inch sport because I loved how it looked, but went with this instead. Im very happy with the way it looks, and happy I pulled the trigger on it.
I have the 14" stingray, haven't test ridden yet but interested to see your updates. I dont see the pictures yet so definitely curious what the 2" difference makes in the appearance. Comparing it to what i had, the 14" kw sport touring, it doesnt too bad. Honestly anything taller than stock changes the front end look a lot. I wish I could get away with the even shorter shield Harley makes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Heres a couple more, having trouble getting the pics uploaded.
looks nice. Curious, did yours have any fitment issue with the edges? Mine seemed to have a slight gap, the guy at LRS said the one they had in the shop had the same gap but he hardly notices it. I cant say its extreme, but when your a perfectionist like myself, the details drive me nuts. :)

I ordered some of the metal split trim pieces that Harley sells. A little pricey but if it covers that up and helps to push it against the fairing then its worth it. Plus should be able to tighten them down more without worry of over tightening causing damage to the shield.

The angle of the picture must make yours look like it sits taller than my 14" i posted pictures on here on my post of these shields. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With this shield, no, there is no gap at the ends. I know what youre talking about though. Last weekend we had nice weather and just to get out and ride, so I went to the local dealer and used there demo 12 inch just for the heck of it and that one had a gap on either side, believe it or not. When I was messing with the HD one, I noticed I could make the gap almost disappear by how much I tightened the screws holding it down. And it almost does look as tall as yours. I almost went with the 14 but decided on the 12 because I knew anything would be better than stock and I dont mind a little wind in my face. I actually said wow when I looked at the pictures I took since the camera just makes it look so much bigger and taller.

·
Registered
324 Posts
With this shield, no, there is no gap at the ends. I know what youre talking about though. Last weekend we had nice weather and just to get out and ride, so I went to the local dealer and used there demo 12 inch just for the heck of it and that one had a gap on either side, believe it or not. When I was messing with the HD one, I noticed I could make the gap almost disappear by how much I tightened the screws holding it down. And it almost does look as tall as yours. I almost went with the 14 but decided on the 12 because I knew anything would be better than stock and I dont mind a little wind in my face. I actually said wow when I looked at the pictures I took since the camera just makes it look so much bigger and taller.
Yeah the pictures don't do it justice. I think in person the shield looks great. I had a Klock Werks befor this one, was going to buy to the 12" pro touring from Klock Werks because it sits a little taller, now the 14" sport flare was better than stock but every once in a while I would get some road debris on my forehead. Don't mind the wind either but it's the road debris that I didn't like.

Well I was going to wait till around March but then I saw that these lrs shields came out, the price was unbeatable. I was torn by the measurements and what size I should go with. The 13 was about .5" taller than the 14 kW that I had, the 12" pro touring was actually 1" taller than the 14 sport flare that I had, so I was concerned the 13 wouldn't be enough. I figured what's an extra inch, decided to go with the 14, hope I made the right choice. Will find out when riding season finally gets here. Like I said I still think this shield looks much better in person than in pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received mine today and put it on. The paper shows the gap. I tried 3 times off and on but still can't get it snug. Hopefully I'll get out and try it this week end.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just received mine today and put it on. The paper shows the gap. I tried 3 times off and on but still can't get it snug. Hopefully I'll get out and try it this week end.
I didn't have any issue with that, just the ends. Have you tried removing the screws next to the vent and then pushing down to seat the center to the seal around the vent? I noticed the shield doesn't just rest on the seal without being tightened, kind of had some spring when I installed mine.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of the 11" LRS Thresher on my 2015 RGS. I have a 12" Harley Windsplitter and a takeoff 2016 RG Ultra shield and this works better than the 12" and as good as the Ultra plus it looks a lot cooler in the dark color. I'm 5'10" and can see over it and you can actually see pretty well through it at night. Fitment is great and does feel like it has a little spring to it when installing as mentioned earlier but when tightened it laid right in place. Real nice windshield. (Hope the pics went through)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you guys think dark tint in the 13" or 14" would hinder me, affect vision badly? Not neccesarily because I'm short (I really doubt I'll be looking through it to much) just concerned about potholes and such at night or maybe when tucked in during a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got to get out and ride a bit again this weekend with some nicer weather. Still alot of wind, but rode with the wind and against it. The shield did very well, I am very pleased with it and would surely recommend it to anyone whos on the fence about them like I was. You cannot beat these for the price. Had the wife out with me for a ride and she said it was better for her too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guys think dark tint in the 13" or 14" would hinder me, affect vision badly? Not neccesarily because I'm short (I really doubt I'll be looking through it to much) just concerned about potholes and such at night or maybe when tucked in during a thunderstorm.
The dark tint would affect night time and lower light riding. I have not had the chance to see how it is at night, but looking through it during the day I can say it would probably be difficult to see obstructions in the road and there is some slight distortion from the curves on the shield. I dont know how much you can see over the top of a 12 or 13 inch, but they offer 10 and 11 inch. And also a light tint that may be a better option for you. Still probably the best shield for the money hands down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the 16" clear. I only put a 100 miles on, but so far so good. I have more wind on my beard now, but not in my eyes. I ordered GADS, I am hoping they will help.

Gary

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just received my 11" thresher in dark tint today & mounted it up. The trick to getting it to lay flat is definitely to leave all 4 screws loose & start in the middle & work to the outside. Lays tight against the rubber.

I will say though, that their measurements are off on the website. I ordered the 11" since it says it's 3" above the center vent & I wanted to easily be able to see over it. but it's more like 4.5", which puts it probably where it should be for my height (5'-10") according to LRS to get the most wind deflection, but with the stock seat I am now concerned about having to look through it to see things that are closer in proximity to the bike.

What's strange is that the shield does indeed measure 11" along the length of the shield so it is the correct shield, it just sits more straight up vertically, so it's higher in your field of vision.

I really just wanted to have a reasonable amount of wind deflection & im okay with feeling some wind on top of my head. Called LRS & they were cool about it, said I could try it out as is to see if it will still work, even can take the wrapping off. If it doesn't work for me they'll exchange it for a 10" no cost. Good customer service! I'll try it with both stock seat & sundowner & report back.

·
Registered
324 Posts

If you can, what is the measurement from the top of the vent to the top of the windshield. I have heard people are saying their website is off. I can say for the 14" it is off, says 6" and i am measuring 6.5" just curious what the 12" stingray is measuring from the top of the vent to the top of shield.

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you still liking it?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Giving this a bump. Now that you've had more time to ride with the LRS, how are they? I'm thinking either a 10" or 11" stingray. Can't beat the price, but is it worth it? Oh, its for a '15 RGS with stock seat. I'm 5' 9" and 31" inseem. But the website is not working for ordering online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Giving this a bump. Now that you've had more time to ride with the LRS, how are they? I'm thinking either a 10" or 11" stingray. Can't beat the price, but is it worth it? Oh, its for a '15 RGS with stock seat. I'm 5' 9" and 31" inseem. But the website is not working for ordering online.
Not to steal the OP's thunder, but I recently got the 12" Stingray and it's as good as the 14" KW Sport Flare that I replaced. In fact, I think the Stingray sits about 1/2" higher when measured from top of shield to top of vent on my '16 RGS w/stock seat. I'm 6'1" w/32" inseam and tend to slouch when I ride, but I have no problem seeing over it. For the money, it's a good buy IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts