Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching forums, looking at pictures and I am in need of some additional vice (and hopefully better pictures) to help me decide if I want to do 12" or 14" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars on my new 2015 Road Glide Special I signed the paperwork on yesterday.

Backstory: I'm coming off a very custom Street Bob that I had 16" Roland Sands apes on. I loved the look and it was a great bar hopper, but for long ride my hands would tend to go numb and it just wasn't overly comfortable.

With this upgrade I am excited to really get out and do some long highway miles, so insuring that I am comfortable is a big factor. I am 6'2" 220 lbs and after sitting on my RGS with the bars rolled forward I knew it wasn't enough. I know stock bars are 9.25" and my close friends at the dealership are saying 12" should be fine and look slick.

After reading all these posts about people wishing they had gone bigger, it has me second guessing myself and I don't want to pay for new bars if I don't like the 12" ones.

Let me know you all. Pics would be helpful, especially if your around my height and sitting on your bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just did 12's on mine last night, very easy to do because you do not have to extend any wires or cables. With 14's you will have to extend all of it. I am shorter than you at 5'10" but 12's work great for me. 14's may be the better height for you. I will also tell you the Yaffe 12's do measure closer to 14", I had them on my old Street Glide. Hopefully some of this rambling helps you out a little.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had 12" Monkey bars on my streetglide. Good looking, comfortable bars. I'm 5'9" and ride with a seat that drops me 1.5". If you have your heart set on Monkey bars I would go with 16s for your height. Anything more than 12s and you will be extending stuff anyway. Know that they are a PIA to wire and the roadglide monkey bars have a tough bend at the bottom as well as the bend at the top. You will probably be waiting a while for them as well. You may want to look at some other brands. 1.5" bars really look good on the roadglide and MBBs are 1.25".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear Yaffe's run tall tho and 12" are really closer to 14"...

Like I said above, I have 16" bars on my last bike and it looked cool, but having them so high my hands would fall asleep or go numb. I really want to be comfortable on my new bike for long rides but still have some attitude.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Everybody says that they run tall but if you measure the vertical height of your hand from the riser it will be about 12. That said, I hear what you're saying. I have had apes above my shoulder height (16s with a 2" riser) and love that look but on my touring bike I am more comfortable with my hands at or a little below my shoulders so I went with 12s when I put my Buky bars on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everybody says that they run tall but if you measure the vertical height of your hand from the riser it will be about 12. That said, I hear what you're saying. I have had apes above my shoulder height (16s with a 2" riser) and love that look but on my touring bike I am more comfortable with my hands at or a little below my shoulders so I went with 12s when I put my Buky bars on.
Do you happen to have a picture of your sitting on your bike..?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am trying to make up my mind now because I know if I change my decision when they (Yaffe 12" bars I have on order) come in, it could be weeks again before I have bars.

I'm stuck with two big debates...
1) 12" or 14". Again, want them tall and cool, but still comfortable so my hands don't fall asleep like my previous apes on previous bike.

2) I know I want the point at the top of the bar... Just don't know which way to go.
I like the look of the Yaffe bars, but seems quality can lack and they are on an extreme backorder.
I'm also liking the looks of Buky/Factory Malo bar now, but I don't know how I feel about the weird taper from the point to the handles, tho I do like that they are thick.

Not a rich guy and these were done into my financing. Want to make sure I do it right from the beginning, if not... Who knows how long before I have the finances to change them.

Sorry for all the back and forth. I just hate buying blind so I am researching and reading everything I can to help me make the best informed decision.

·
Registered
654 Posts
A little heads up. I talked to Andrew at Buky/Factory 47 last week. He said their 14" bars will work with stock cables on the 15 Road Glides. He said the 15 RG stock cables are longer than the previous models. Also I asked him if forum members get a discount and he said he never has but he will start doing it. He gave me a 5% discount. Don't sound like much but it saved me over $20. Something to think about. I love mine and think they look killer on the road glides since the bars are thicker!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little heads up. I talked to Andrew at Buky/Factory 47 last week. He said their 14" bars will work with stock cables on the 15 Road Glides. He said the 15 RG stock cables are longer than the previous models. Also I asked him if forum members get a discount and he said he never has but he will start doing it. He gave me a 5% discount. Don't sound like much but it saved me over $20. Something to think about. I love mine and think they look killer on the road glides since the bars are thicker!
Thanks Jaydog! You have 14"s on yours, correct..?

I don't know if I can reuse the stock cables. ONLY reason I say that is... Since I worked them into the financing on the new bike and committed to the dealership putting them on, I doubt they will reuse them. Dumb, but what I am going to do.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I hear ya. Mine are 14s and they are going on the wife's new 15 Road Glide and I ordered 16s for mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear ya. Mine are 14s and they are going on the wife's new 15 Road Glide and I ordered 16s for mine.
Think Im going 14"s. Going to call them soon and see what shipping time is.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good choice imo. You will love them! 12s would have been to short for ya. :D
Just called him and left a VM. Shot them an email as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good choice imo. You will love them! 12s would have been to short for ya. :D
Attempted to call them twice and no response from them. Not sure what to think about that...

I pick up the bike Thursday and have a group ride planned this weekend. Figure I would put a few miles on the bike and see what Im thinking for height and feel. But I sat on a Road King at the dealership with 14" bars and it felt like a good fit. Not too tall, not to short.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah 14s are gonna be good! My 16s came in today! :D Dropped the bike off at my installer this eve. Should have it back Thursday/Fri. I called Factiry 47 a cpl different days before I ordered and the girl always answered. Ask to speak to Andrew if u have any questions and don't forget to ask for the forum discount. I placed my order April 2 and they showed up today 4/14. They said 10 to 15 business days. U are for sure calling the number from the Factory 47 website?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah 14s are gonna be good! My 16s came in today! :D Dropped the bike off at my installer this eve. Should have it back Thursday/Fri. I called Factiry 47 a cpl different days before I ordered and the girl always answered. Ask to speak to Andrew if u have any questions and don't forget to ask for the forum discount. I placed my order April 2 and they showed up today 4/14. They said 10 to 15 business days. U are for sure calling the number from the Factory 47 website?
Yup. (562) 373-5227. Both times I left voicemails.

Going to ride stock this weekend and then make my decision next week.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's weird. I just called and they answered. I called the number u listed. Bad timing I guess. :( I just think the thicker bars look better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts