Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help of everyone on this forum....I just finished installing my new Outlawz. I have to say that they are amazing!! It was a little difficult getting the wires thru the 90 degree bend at first, but once I staggering the wires it worked like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. I spoke with the stealership and they told me about $1400 to do this!!!! That is INSANE!!!! I don't see how they could possibly charge this much......

·
Registered
299 Posts
With the help of everyone on this forum....I just finished installing my new Outlawz. I have to say that they are amazing!! It was a little difficult getting the wires thru the 90 degree bend at first, but once I staggering the wires it worked like a charm.
looks great. I posted a couple of questions with no replies. So let me ask you if you dont mind. Did you use the same brake and clutch cables? Did you use any extention wire kits? ( I am thinking about the SE TBW to elimate the green plug) How did you tape the wire staggered( I assume you removed the black sleeve they come in to fit the inside)? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks great. I posted a couple of questions with no replies. So let me ask you if you dont mind. Did you use the same brake and clutch cables? Did you use any extention wire kits? ( I am thinking about the SE TBW to elimate the green plug) How did you tape the wire staggered( I assume you removed the black sleeve they come in to fit the inside)? Thanks for any info.
I did use the same brake and clutch cables and did not use any wire extentions. Had plently of room. With the TBW I removed the wire with the black plug (it is for HD heated grips). I did remove the black sleeve and did not tape the harness back up. I taped 2 wires to the lead, then taped 2 more about half an inch down the lead. I continued this pattern untill all wires were attached. Then it was as simple as pulling the lead and pushing the wire harness from the other end at the same time. There was hardly any resistance. Once i had the wires thru the bars i slid a large shrink wrap on the wires before i reinstalled the connector. Staggering the wires like that was a little more time consuming, but well worth the extra time. There was not fighting or lube needed :) I figured it was better to take my time then to rush and break something.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I did use the same brake and clutch cables and did not use any wire extentions. Had plently of room. With the TBW I removed the wire with the black plug (it is for HD heated grips). I did remove the black sleeve and did not tape the harness back up. I taped 2 wires to the lead, then taped 2 more about half an inch down the lead. I continued this pattern untill all wires were attached. Then it was as simple as pulling the lead and pushing the wire harness from the other end at the same time. There was hardly any resistance. Once i had the wires thru the bars i slid a large shrink wrap on the wires before i reinstalled the connector. Staggering the wires like that was a little more time consuming, but well worth the extra time. There was not fighting or lube needed :) I figured it was better to take my time then to rush and break something.
Did you have to reroute the clutch cable? What about readjusting the Clutch afterwards? Or did you just remove/replace at the the lever. I appreciate the great info. How long did the whole job take you. I have been reading alot of posts on here about some shortcuts like dremel tool some of the plastic housing to reach the bottom handlebar clamp without removing the key lock and shroud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have to reroute the clutch cable? What about readjusting the Clutch afterwards? Or did you just remove/replace at the the lever. I appreciate the great info. How long did the whole job take you. I have been reading alot of posts on here about some shortcuts like dremel tool some of the plastic housing to reach the bottom handlebar clamp without removing the key lock and shroud.
I did reroute the Clutch cable afterwards. All I did was slide it thru the forks and then reattach to handlebars. Took a few seconds.....but I honestly feel it did not need to be moved. It should be fine right were it was. I also saw the posts about trimming the plastic housing with dremel tool, but if your new bars have a 90 degree bend (the Outlawz I installed did) there is no way you are going to get the housing around the bend!!!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I did reroute the Clutch cable afterwards. All I did was slide it thru the forks and then reattach to handlebars. Took a few seconds.....but I honestly feel it did not need to be moved. It should be fine right were it was. I also saw the posts about trimming the plastic housing with dremel tool, but if your new bars have a 90 degree bend (the Outlawz I installed did) there is no way you are going to get the housing around the bend!!!!!
I appreciate the great info....I'm looking forward to the install. I'm saving for all the parts now for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried leaving the clutch cable in the stock place, but at full right turn it would fully engage the clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts