Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where a person can buy 12 oint black fasteners? I would like to replace all my allen head external engine bolts with them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Diamond Engineering and Gardner Westcott for 12 points, they have complete bike kits available in chrome. I have never seen them sold in black, but I have had some powder coated with good results.

I was lookin at GB's bike yesterday, he has painted his Torx bolts and it looks good. I personally think that Torx is an excellent bolt head, I've stripped hex and socket head (Allen) but never 12 point or Torx. The ones you gotta watch out for with Torx is the T-27 cause you can use a T-25 tool sometimes depending on how tight the fastener is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I was talking about 12 point bolts, not Torx. But both are much tougher then hex/allen head bolts. PVD coating is another way to go black, but not sure what it costs. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I found this from mkguitar on hd forums. Probably your best advice if you really want black bolts and don't want to paint them, though I suspect you'll still scratch them with tool marks if you not real careful.

"if you feel like a project- the old panhead era black fasteners are "Parkerized" there are kits available it which you can parkerize your own bolts Eastwood ( car restoration supplies) sells inexpensive kits.
The resulting bolt has a matte black finish which is quite durable."

They do make a solid black bolt. But not sure about the electrolysis issues involved using them on aluminum and other materials and thus which washer material and loctite you'll need to choose to prevent corrosion. Plus you'll not likely be able to use the HD recommended torque settings either.

Of course I was just involved with a aircraft mishap where crap fell off in flight due to similar uneducated engineering changes, so maybe I'm being overly meticulousness.

I pickup my stainless Diamond 12 point kit tomorrow, which will go on gloss black engine covers. They look good though I admit solid black would be nice. Engine and tranny kit is about $450.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have been changing mine out to 12 point, I haven't done it all at once with a kit. I ordered my bolts through Fastenal. The only snag I have run into so far is the front bolts on the primary cover cause they are a weird length and I have to special order them and buy a minimum. I have been powder coating them gloss black with a good result.
The looks and dureability makes it well worth it to me.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Diamond Engineering and Gardner Westcott for 12 points, they have complete bike kits available in chrome. I have never seen them sold in black, but I have had some powder coated with good results.

I was lookin at GB's bike yesterday, he has painted his Torx bolts and it looks good. I personally think that Torx is an excellent bolt head, I've stripped hex and socket head (Allen) but never 12 point or Torx. The ones you gotta watch out for with Torx is the T-27 cause you can use a T-25 tool sometimes depending on how tight the fastener is.
All the bolts on my bike that are backed by wrinkle black I prepped, primed and painted matte flat with great results so far (5000 miles) when I send the last bit of parts out for powder coat ill be painting the bolts the are backed by gloss black, gloss black to match

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
That's for the info.. Another project to start. When you say 12 points, are they the same bolts that secure the front brake calipers to the forks?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Speaking of this thread since I did my forks gloss black the 12 point caliper bolts are bothering the hell out of me. You guys thing rust oleum gloss black would do the trick? Or would they strip as soon as I put a socket to it? All opinions but goneblack welcome. :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Speaking of this thread since I did my forks gloss black the 12 point caliper bolts are bothering the hell out of me. You guys thing rust oleum gloss black would do the trick? Or would they strip as soon as I put a socket to it? All opinions but goneblack welcome. :D
I just bought a set of 12-point chrome caliper bolts from PC-Pain to go with my newly shaved and podercoated calipers. I has these on my last bike for over 9 years with no issues at all.

Prodrag, what other sanctioning bodies can you guys run with AHDRA cancelling the season ? I'm a CH3NO2 junkie.

Peace

·
Registered
586 Posts
Another option is to get the powder coating kit from Harbor Freight and do your own coating. That way you could do it as you needed.

P

·
0 Posts
I just bought a set of 12-point chrome caliper bolts from PC-Pain to go with my newly shaved and podercoated calipers. I has these on my last bike for over 9 years with no issues at all.

Prodrag, what other sanctioning bodies can you guys run with AHDRA cancelling the season ? I'm a CH3NO2 junkie.

Peace
I started with the AMRA and pretty much always raced with them,with some AHDRA races mixed in,theve been around longer than the AHDRA anyway
www.amraonline.com

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I started with the AMRA and pretty much always raced with them,with some AHDRA races mixed in,theve been around longer than the AHDRA anyway
www.amraonline.com
NHRA is going to have limited schedule. Shame about AHDRA, I heard it's more than cancelling the season. Belly up... been headed that way for a while. Buddy of mine is pretty bummed as the options are quite a bit limited for him now. He runs out of Washington state, so he's still got some Canada based options. But as a privateer he's not able to do a lot of travel. Although he runs in Sturgis every year...

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I just bought a few 12 point bolts from these guys, they showed up today and I was surprised to find they are ARP fasteners. ARP is the Cadillac of bolts, used extensively in all forms of motorsports.

If I had known about this kit I may have gone a different route with my build.

http://alloyboltz.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=13_268_309&products_id=123&osCsid=fkkjmt4ue6jgofrb9bj9kr10t4

Peace
Love ARP hardware. No comparison to anything else on the market I've ever seen.... and the best part, they aren't made with garbage steel like the majority of hardware on the market nowdays.

I've been planning to change out some hardware for a while and hit these guys site before. Sure would be nice if they actually set up specific kits and a picture of the kit vs other applications. Example the engine kits show a totally different bolt set for the primary side in the pic. They do say they have custom bolts made for the primary. Probably just need to call em.

Curious, do these guys recommend anti-sieze? Because stainless and aluminum are bad bed fellows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts