Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had the SE Stage IV it done with Screamin Eagle slip ons.
Have about 300 miles on since work was done. Weather was cool this spring, bike ran great. Now that temps are getting to the mid 70's+, bike pings with the slightest roll on of the throttle, at anywhere from 2500 to 3500 RPM.
Only way to keep the engine from pinging is to keep RPM's at 3K+.
Dealer says the condition is normal and should go away as more miles are ridden.
Thoughts or similar experiences anyone? I would rather be able to ride in 6th at 70 MPH than 5th!

·
Registered
349 Posts
mine does the same exact thing i was told that cuz of the valves and springs in the heads its going to do that. but if you get louder pipes you might not hear it as much. i have slip on vance and hines buti think i want a two into one thunder header.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had my stage 4 in for 1,650mi. now, Its been tuned twice by dealer on dyno and might need a third tuning. It doesnt ping but rear cyl. cuts out at idle when ridden hard (temp.safty) Other wise I am verry happy!!! I run prem. fuel always, Comp. likes octain!! HP 107, TQ 105, 100HP at 2,050rpm. Verry streetable motor. Enjoy the sickness

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had my stage 4 in for 1,650mi. and have been back to have it retuned twice, now the motor is verry streetable 107HP,105TQ. 100HP at 2,050RPM. No pinging as I always run prem. fuel. (high comp. LIKES octane) I am also running a VH Propipe, maby diffrent tuning and 2 into 1 exhaust would healp. I am verry happy with my motor!!! Enjoy the sickness!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run premium fuel, what about some STP Octane boost? do I need to worry about damaging/burning pistons?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have about 300 miles on since work was done. Weather was cool this spring, bike ran great. Now that temps are getting to the mid 70's+, bike pings with the slightest roll on of the throttle, at anywhere from 2500 to 3500 RPM.
Dealer says the condition is normal and should go away as more miles are ridden.
Thoughts or similar experiences anyone? I would rather be able to ride in 6th at 70 MPH than 5th!

I don't think is a normal condition the way your bike running. I question your dealers opinion. Sounds like your bike is running on the lean side with the set up you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to take it to another dealer and see what they have to say....
Cant see riding the rockies this summer with it running the way it is.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I don't think is a normal condition the way your bike running. I question your dealers opinion. Sounds like your bike is running on the lean side with the set up you have.
Don't have Stage 4 but this doesn't sound right to me at all, especially the dealer's thinly veiled message of "take this bike out of my shop and good luck." Since when does pronounced detonation go away with more miles? Does the plumber say that the leak will disappear when more gallons of water are run through the pipes?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your bike should be able to run comfortably at lower Rpms without it pinging. Besides looking at another dealer, look for a good reputable tuner in your area that has experience tuning bikes. From my personal experience and other people's experience, some dealerships do not have the experience or talent in their shops to properly tune modified engine set ups. Sounds like you invested some money in your bike, you should be able to enjoy the benefits.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

They didn't put that stupid ass 255 cam in it, did they??

When you have an engine that runs hot as hell and is prone to pinging in the first place, the LAST thing you want to do is put in a cam that is guaranteed to make it worse by dropping the intake close and jacking up the cranking compression.

Pinging is NOT normal by anyone's definition.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
The SE stage IV is meant to ride in the higher power band. The spark knock (ping) is a timing issue and it takes a good dyno tuner to get the timing right and most tuners don't want to take the time or don't know how to tune a bike properly. I had the same problem and then I put a Thundermax auto tuner on the bike and because Thundermax only has 1 base map for the stage IV build I started with that and I had some spark knock issues with the tune. I got a hold of T-Max support and they built me a mod map #1 and the mod map took away most of the spark knock, I then sent them a data collection and they made adjustments and sent me a mod map #2 now the bike runs great. You may want to drop the cruising speed down to a lower rpm by changing back to the 50mm TB which will help give the bike better throttle response at lower RPM, also a different cam like a low end torque cam will help lower the power band.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Tdkkart, what cam would you recommend for 1500-4000 rpm

I wouldn't.........

I wouldn't recommend expecting anything out of these engines at anything lower than 2500rpm, or maybe 2000rpm if you're very careful. Fact is, these are big aircooled engines that run hot, too hot, and trying to drag real power out of them at anything below 2500-3000rpm is just asking for trouble.
Can you do it?? Yes, but they have to be built right with the right parts and diligence in making sure they're tuned right. Most dealership "builders" are not going to take the time to get them right, they simply build them out of a box of parts and shove them out the door.

·
Registered
331 Posts
+1 on that, Im running 259e cams,52mm body. After 2nd tune the bike ran great,not much noticable heat from the rear cyl. Power at 2,050 100hp and verry smooth climb to 4650rpm. A good dyno tuner is worth its weight in gold!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 09 FLTR has around 5000 miles on the SE Stage IV build. I have the dreaded SE 260 cams with D & D 2 into 1 FatCat. 112 hp/100tq. The tuner took his time and knew what he was doing. No pinging and not detonation. Yeah, so what, the cams don't come on hard till around 2800 rpm. Great set up for me and ran down the freeway from a benefit for West, TX with my wife on the back at 80 mph yesterday. Great set up. Love my 09!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tuned

So I found a tuner. with the SE slip ons, they got rid of the pinging, but got lots of rear cylinder heat, sluggish out of the hole, POOR mileage.
Took it back, had D&D complete 2 into 1 exhaust and headers plus retune.
Runs great heat issue gone but is so frickin' loud that it is no fun to ride. I mean LOUD.
I think they screwed up and order the Perforated baffles instead of the Louvered Wrapped baffles.
I specifically said i didn't want it too loud.
Anyways, they have agreed to put the quieter pipes on. Anyone have any experience with this exhaust?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the borzilla with the quiet baffle and its fine to ride with. If you have the performance baffle your ears are probably bleeding. IMO the quiet baffle is on par with the myriad of 2 into 1 exhausts that are out there for db level.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the quiet muffler on the D & D Fatcat and it's perfect for me. Great sound and performance when you roll on the throttle hard and at highway speed it's not overtly loud. Works great for me. If you change flow on the pipe with a different muffler you might consider a check on the dyno to make sure you are good to go. I'm not a wrench. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Subscribed to this thread cuz I'm interested in doing a stage 4 myself and after reading this it may have me leaning not he fence to not do it. I'll keep listening and reading.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts