Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you know I went to NordKapp Norway, riding 12000km under severe heat, some winter like cold and heavy rain. Bike got severely dirt, especially with sand and mud collected up north.
The RGU is now showing the bill that I’m on my way to fix, here they are:
1) cooling system: I had an overtemp for 3 consecutive days, just a few miles after start-up and then system worked ok the rest of the day. I was still in the north, as soon as temperatures raised going south the issue disappeared. The main suspect was the thermostat, replaced it under warranty.
2) gear indication sometimes disappearing dumping the cruise control, in some case neutral light was coming on despite bike in 6th gear at highway speed. No code, main suspect is the clutch switch being dirty, I will try to clean it tomorrow and I will check for it. I do not think it is the CKP because that would have shut down the bike.
3) rider headset not activating anymore the VOX, if PTT is pushed (have the lighted switches but not the CB) the rider hear the voice very low and only if no noise is around ( meaning 0 with engine on). Passenger headset works fine. Tomorrow I will take it to the dealer.
4) found a HUGE amount of dirt beneath the seat, the battery caddy was full of sand and the 2 bolt in charge of secure it were loose almost out of thread. The battery bolts were loose and it took almost a complete turn to have them at torque.
5) air filter was ok, everytime I was in the rain the rain sock was in to protect and it did its job.
Next appointment is a 1000km final transfer to Italy trip in 2 weeks, I hope no other surprises will show up before that, but I can declare myself satisfied for the overall performance of my beloved shark

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
For a minute there, I thought on was on the ADV forum. (Adventure riders forum for bikes like the BMW GS 1200 or Triumph Tiger.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a little update.
1. overtemp light not coming out anymore, the thermostat change fixed the issue.
2. Cruise Control dump with flickering gear indication together with Neutral light: the clutch switch cleaning did not work, in the following ride I had the "N" light coming out steady a lot, even without the cruise control on. Still no codes.
coming home I checked the Neutral switch, found both connectors covered by a fluffy ball of greasy debris. Cleaned and to be checked again
3. Rider Intercom not working with both VOX and PTT, got dealer appointment for next Saturday, if the cruise control is not fixed by the the "N" switch cleaning it will be checked out as well.
Will update on findings

butaway..... my 10 years old, 100000 km Dyna, ridden by my son during the trip needed only a simple wash and came back as new, like an old bitch........ love that bike!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update following dealer visit today:
cruise control dump with gear indication flickering: the CKP (crank position) sensor was found to be erratic and changed under warranty. tested on the way back home and everything seems to be fine now. No wrong neutral light at all, even before arriving to dealer. Cleaning the connectors seemed to have solved that as well.
Rider intercom not working: dealer said my freeware wiring is faulty while bike is ok. ordered a spare wire on amazon, will see if that is true.

main point is that now bike is ready for the 700miles ride to Italy next week

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
update following dealer visit today:
cruise control dump with gear indication flickering: the CKP (crank position) sensor was found to be erratic and changed under warranty. tested on the way back home and everything seems to be fine now. No wrong neutral light at all, even before arriving to dealer. Cleaning the connectors seemed to have solved that as well.
Rider intercom not working: dealer said my freeware wiring is faulty while bike is ok. ordered a spare wire on amazon, will see if that is true.

main point is that now bike is ready for the 700miles ride to Italy next week
Thank you for using miles instead of km this time. We Americans suck at math. LOL

I'm just curious, what year is your bike?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for using miles instead of km this time. We Americans suck at math. LOL

I'm just curious, what year is your bike?
it is a '16 RGU, I bought it new with a huge discount (not normal here in europe) the same days the first M8s hit the dealer, suddenly here the twin cams were looking soooooo old to everybody but me.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
it is a '16 RGU, I bought it new with a huge discount (not normal here in europe) the same days the first M8s hit the dealer, suddenly here the twin cams were looking soooooo old to everybody but me.
Nice , keep on riding that puppy.
How is the bike on cobblestone roads?
Was it crazy riding in Copenhagen?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice , keep on riding that puppy.
How is the bike on cobblestone roads?
Was it crazy riding in Copenhagen?
Cobblestone roads are not that used in Europe, Rome has some in downtown but that is the last place where I ride my bike unless indispensable (I hate big cities.....)
Copenhagen was not a big issue, once I parked the bike at the hotel I used the public transportation to get around. It is the safer and quick way to go, and Hop-on Hop-off takes you around to the most important attractions. Particularly in Copenhagen I got a combo with bus and boat, so i visit downtown on roads and channels.
Harleys are but for the open roads, they suffer in the traffic and downtown cagers and sputters are nuts , so I prefer my bike to stay safe at the hotel.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed the intercom issue with a new freewire cable and made the 700 miles ride for the final transfer to Italy.
Bike is now as perfect as it was before the trip, to sum-up here were the issue:
1) erratic thermostatic valve, changed under warranty
2) erratic CKP crank position sensor, changed under warranty
3) dirt neutral switch connectors causing “N” light in gear, cleaned
4) faulty freewire cable (too much rain and poor sealing?), changed by my pocket.
Not bad at all considering the kind of trip under severe rain and temperatures raises and drops

1 - 12 of 12 Posts