Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, greetings. I recently purchased a 120r for my 2008 FLTR-ANN. I was worried by the valve spring pressure. It was ~180 closed and 500 on the nose. Shouldn't it be more like 90/280? Also, how good are the rocker arms and lifters? If there is some suggestions and/or recommendations, feel free to comment! Thank you. Tony

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guy

I know nothing about what it should be however I spent a considerable amount of time talking with bob wood about his cams and he said I should change the valve springs as well as they have too much pressure.

I am not certain why, but based on my discussion with him and a reputable Indy that has built three of my engines. I'm looking to change them when I change cams

My thoughts

·
Banned
60 Posts
They're on the high side no question. Last set we did we used PAC springs. Did you consider the S&S T124 at all or were you set on the 120R?

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
!85 ft lbs

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I put the HD race valve spring kit in my stock heads and if I remember right the springs are shimmed to 185 ft lbs according to HD specs.
These spring give me a bit more valve train noise but I do get a better more positive valve seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I purchased a set of AV&V 6500's and thru following an engine builder friend's recipe I should end up with 173# on the seat and 385# on the nose. I hope this solves the inevitable valve train failure based on the ~200# seat and 523# on the nose (measured). :) I was going to get the S&S 124t, but they were so back ordered I worried about getting my bike done for Vegas bike fest. Also, I live in the "forbidden" state, so I thought I could, with a friend's help who has a cnc machine, transfer my stock case numbers to the 120R with out too much problems. So on to my project...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Those AV&V springs are nice.
We use a lot of those here.
Another top quality valve spring is those springs that Bob Wood has sourced.
And if under .600" lift, the age-old Crane 1101's are a beautiful set also.:)
Scott

·
Banned
94 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I purchased a set of AV&V 6500's and thru following an engine builder friend's recipe I should end up with 173# on the seat and 385# on the nose. I hope this solves the inevitable valve train failure based on the ~200# seat and 523# on the nose (measured). :) I was going to get the S&S 124t, but they were so back ordered I worried about getting my bike done for Vegas bike fest. Also, I live in the "forbidden" state, so I thought I could, with a friend's help who has a cnc machine, transfer my stock case numbers to the 120R with out too much problems. So on to my project...
good choice,the AV&V 6500`s would be my choice also

·
Registered
25 Posts
Baisleys

Had Dan and Ryan do my heads. Installed all items they suggested and am very happy with results.
1.650 Exh valves
5 angle cut on valves
Springs they suggested
Axtell valve
Lifters they suggested
Adjustable pushrods
Zippers Chain tensioners
Corrected geometry roller rockers
stayed with the 266e cam
pushrod covers
still a little noisy between 22 and 24k rpms but I know the assembly will last
oil pressure runs 22 psi when bike is warm at idle and at cruise it is 45-50psi it will
flux a little on the high end due to the Axtell valve.
Hope this helps anyone looking to improve the 120R MVA heads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts