Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a crate motor utilizing the SE Pro Cases. Just an FYI. Just a post on my 124. Noise in lower end ~ called S&S and they recommended Cycle-rama in Pinellas Park, FL. Took it to Wes. Diagnosis, the idler gear bushing was wearing and the noise I was hearing was the Idler gear moving around in the camplate. No loss of oil pressure or performance just alot of noise, and I could not isolate it. Wes called S&S they are replacing lifters, camplate, oilpump and the cam chest cover. Wes stated the 640 cams were fine. About 6k on the motor but the noise had gotten louder with time. I had pulled the crank position sensor and there was no metal so I felt like the cam chest was the most likely offender. Love the motors power, and hope moving forward for a bulletproof 124. I guess only time will tell.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Glad to see S&S is going to replace more than what's needed. What about the labor, is that going to be a little $$$$ ouch, or is S&S footing the cost, and how much down time are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see S&S is going to replace more than what's needed. What about the labor, is that going to be a little $$$$ ouch, or is S&S footing the cost, and how much down time are you looking at?
S&S absorbs the labor also ~ I'm assuming they will give Cycle-Rama a credit card number. Wes was slammed took him three weeks to diagnose/look at the bike. S&S shipped parts the same day ~ not sure when I'll get it back. Drivin me a little batty after all the drama I've dealt with in 56k....

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Wow.......you just made my mind, next engine, definitely S&S. I know the down time sucks........ good reason to have a second bike.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.......you just made my mind, next engine, definitely S&S. I know the down time sucks........ good reason to have a second bike.
The nice thing about S&S is it is one stop shopping ~ no supplier saying it is the others fault. S&S absorbs labor ~ engine has to be installed by an authorized S&S Dealer and warranted by an authorized S&S dealer. One year warranty unless you get S&S's throttle body and ECM (this ensures the break-in is done correclty), then they give you two years. I personally think this is the way to go on the motors since I don't think anybody else provides the warranty including parts & labor.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed (L's) when you were out shopping the other day...

·
Administrator
10,479 Posts
S&S is my only choice when it comes to performance stuff , is a no brainer , has been for years

JtB

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just read this thread. Seems like S&S is way to go, I have been researching their 111 touring engine, a little less aggressive and compression than the 124 and 131. Im coming out of some bad quality workmanship with Indies and either considering a new bike with a HD stage 4 (2 year warranty) or one of the S&S ones for my 07.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just read this thread. Seems like S&S is way to go, I have been researching their 111 touring engine, a little less aggressive and compression than the 124 and 131. Im coming out of some bad quality workmanship with Indies and either considering a new bike with a HD stage 4 (2 year warranty) or one of the S&S ones for my 07.
I'd like to see some print about a HD Stage 4 with a 2 year warranty...

To me, S&S Crate Motor is the way to go... (one # to contact if any problems)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd like to see some print about a HD Stage 4 with a 2 year warranty...

To me, S&S Crate Motor is the way to go... (one # to contact if any problems)
Easy! Call a dealer and they should tell you within 60 days of a new bike purchase any mods including a stage 4 (with SE parts) is covered for 2 years.
So if I havent fixed my issues with my recent build, I will either get a new bike (color availability sux for 2015) with a stage 4 or get an S&S crate motor. San Diego Customs Im being told can tweek an S&S and still get the S&S warranty.

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Tough call, a 2015 +stage 4 is going to cost a whole lot more than an S&S. How much do you like your current bike, how many extras do you have, and if you didn't have a problem, how long had you planned to keep it? If you were going to get rid of the bike in a couple of years anyway, get the 15, if you had planned to keep your bike, S&S, that's just my opinion, you have to do what's right for you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Im at a crossroad and not sure what to do. I love my 07, all together in it over $50k, have done everything my self except for motor build. Had it done last year and the guy really F'd it up, luckily I sued him and won, had to settle on 50%, had another guy fix the F up and although it runs like a rabid ape, Im being told my runout is between .004-.005 and Im running gears, I think the shops method of measuring the runout was wrong and they were trying to hook me into spending more money there.
The wife has been good to me to keep getting it fixed, but at some point the insanity needs to stop. This is what you get for not being able to leave well enough alone, that and believing that certain builders know what theyre talking about.
For now Im weighing my options, do I drop another $6-7k in a motor (bike is otherwise solid) or have a dealer take my motor and redo the crank. or sell it and get a new bike get a stage 4, leave it alone except for bars and powdercoating???Decisions Decisions

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Easy! Call a dealer and they should tell you within 60 days of a new bike purchase any mods including a stage 4 (with SE parts) is covered for 2 years.
So if I havent fixed my issues with my recent build, I will either get a new bike (color availability sux for 2015) with a stage 4 or get an S&S crate motor. San Diego Customs Im being told can tweek an S&S and still get the S&S warranty.
It's good to know that one can hop-up a new HD and still have some love from the MoCo.

It's good to have choices:)

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
DONVITO, one thing you have to consider is the S&S engine is built better and definitely has a better crank than the stage 4 you get will have. With the amount you already have invested, it would be a very easy choice if it were me. Let us know what you do decide.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Im at a crossroad and not sure what to do. I love my 07, all together in it over $50k, have done everything my self except for motor build. Had it done last year and the guy really F'd it up, luckily I sued him and won, had to settle on 50%, had another guy fix the F up and although it runs like a rabid ape, Im being told my runout is between .004-.005 and Im running gears, I think the shops method of measuring the runout was wrong and they were trying to hook me into spending more money there.
The wife has been good to me to keep getting it fixed, but at some point the insanity needs to stop. This is what you get for not being able to leave well enough alone, that and believing that certain builders know what theyre talking about.
For now Im weighing my options, do I drop another $6-7k in a motor (bike is otherwise solid) or have a dealer take my motor and redo the crank. or sell it and get a new bike get a stage 4, leave it alone except for bars and powdercoating???Decisions Decisions
Call Jim at Metal Dragon, (Hayward, CA). Jim really knows his stuff, and is a straight shooter. You don't have to worry about Jim trying to "hook" you for anything...

If you decide to keep the bike and work the bottom end, the S&S Crank / Timken is my recommendation especially if you are going to keep the Gear Drives. The S&S Crank in the '09 measured .0005 installed w/Timken. Dealer cost +- $900.

Good Luck, with whatever you decide.

Let us know how it shakes out for you...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the bike lives again ~ picking it up today from Cycle-rama. Removed and inspected head, jugs, and of course the camplate. Only failure was the Idler gear in the camplate, or the Idler gear bushing. Told the motor is nice & quiet again. I'll keep you posted.

A side note the HD builds and 120r's or just stage III or IV new reworks. The local boutique is selling an aftermarket warranty that covers all HD parts installed there. In other words you could purchase a new bike, have the 124 dropped in at time of purchase and literally have seven years unlimited mileage coverage on the 124 as long as it is all HD. This is a smokin deal and I have confirmed it with the F&I guy. The price of the extended warranty is comparable to HD's extended. In Florida the dealers cannot vary between pricing.

We'll see if the Warranty company cries uncle down the road. The dealer does alot of performance upgrades.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the Skunk & the 124 are back in the stable. Rode it back from Cycle-rama about a 230 mile trip home yesterday. All is well, runs like a 124 and nice & quiet again. When the noise started I had no performance issues, oil pressure drama or anything other than the tapping/knocking that would indicate a problem existed.

So S&S stood behind the product and the warranty, even going the extra mile. They paid for all the labor. I absorbed the fluids and an oil pan gasket. Cycle-rama removed and inspected the heads pistons & jugs, as well as the camplate, and Oil pan.

S&S overnighted a new camplate assembly, gaskets, camchest cover & absorbed about 14 hours of labor.

The oil pan was removed and inspected just to make sure that I had no metal, heads were removed ensuring the camplate did not create a valve/valve guide issue. Bike runs great and I am planning on taking advantage of it today.

So two years of ownership, 18 months of ridin, 56k on the clock.... Now it is time to start loggin some big miles, hopefully drama free ~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts