Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not so much a tutorial, but after talking to a few guys and they mentioning how some people like to rip off the cigarette lighter from our bikes since it's so much easier than on an FLHX my b-law gave me an idea to just take a marine 12v socket plug and use the cap to close it off and leave the cig plug in the glove box a little more hidden or saddle bag. I for one don't smoke, but i don't like to have a hole in my fairing either. I think the pics are pretty self explanatory. Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
When I had the fairing off to paint the inner, I replaced the lighter with a Stainless Steel one from a Marine supply shop. It has a flip up cap instead of the lighter plug. Just unscrewed the original and swapped in the Stainless one, no problemo.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had the fairing off to paint the inner, I replaced the lighter with a Stainless Steel one from a Marine supply shop. It has a flip up cap instead of the lighter plug. Just unscrewed the original and swapped in the Stainless one, no problemo.
that's pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I just spent 16.00 at the stealership to replace mine. Think i am going to take it back and get the marine cover.
I had to replace mine to while I was cruising on the highway. Didn't dawn on me until about a few miles down and looked at my cig plug and noticed it was gone. It hit me in shin, but I didn't put two and two together then. Oh well, it won't happen again.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Why would it be easy to remove the cig lighter? If it's a pop in unit, couldn't it easily be replaced with the style that screws in? Or is there something extra special about a Harley cig lighter? Unless it's a special power port, all that happens is a hot wire and ground wire get connected and heat up.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
that's pretty sweet too.
Those are 2 great ideas! I'll be looking at that. I generally remove it because I plug my GPS there when going on long rides. I have noticed that the stock HD lighter does become lose after awhile and I always remember to nudge it back in a bit...but always wondered if and when it would simply POP-OUT on its own from the vibrations...here other's hear have that happen to them.
So I guess the best would be the PLUG and always leave it in the saddle bags.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would it be easy to remove the cig lighter? If it's a pop in unit, couldn't it easily be replaced with the style that screws in? Or is there something extra special about a Harley cig lighter? Unless it's a special power port, all that happens is a hot wire and ground wire get connected and heat up.

Well, on the FLHX when you turn the handlebars down to lock the column its pushed against the tank so its really hard to reach down and pull it out, but on our roadies, its open to the elements of thiefism. mine didn't get stolen, but it vibrated out and this cap fits in pretty tight. Not sure if this is what your were asking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where did you get the socket?

Well, not so much a tutorial, but after talking to a few guys and they mentioning how some people like to rip off the cigarette lighter from our bikes since it's so much easier than on an FLHX my b-law gave me an idea to just take a marine 12v socket plug and use the cap to close it off and leave the cig plug in the glove box a little more hidden or saddle bag. I for one don't smoke, but i don't like to have a hole in my fairing either. I think the pics are pretty self explanatory. Hope this helps someone

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I used a plug similar to that inside my glove box on my extra plug we installed.

And then I bought an LED flashlight from Super Bright Led to put in the stock lighter plug. Let me tell ya, this thing is bright. Its come in handy many times. They come in several colors too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well, on the FLHX when you turn the handlebars down to lock the column its pushed against the tank so its really hard to reach down and pull it out, but on our roadies, its open to the elements of thiefism. mine didn't get stolen, but it vibrated out and this cap fits in pretty tight. Not sure if this is what your were asking.
Maybe I misread the original post. Is it the pop out part that seems to get stolen or the entire assembly? I read it as the entire assembly is easy to steal and I couldn't figure out how it would be easy. OTOH, I don't have a Glide (yet :( ) so maybe I'm just clueless.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
now I want one, thanks!! ( flashlight )

unfortunately, they are sold out of red, go figure

( I eventually figured out, what a brilliant place to have a flashlight, always charged and always right there )

I've paid more for less

just to keep myself entertained

installed a 12v plug under my seat - just for fun

couldn't find the p/n for the hard wire kit with lifetime traffic so I just made what I had work.

it came with a bar and shield plug, no pic, nice kit good value

now my ACC button turns on and off my GPS and the wire is not dangling all over the place

·
Registered
839 Posts
Heres the link: FLASHLIGHT

It twists on and off.
Wow! That thing is really cool. I might have to get a few, one for each vehicle, including the bike. Funny thing is I keep small LED flashlights in each car already and I went to use one the other night and the batteries were dead. Go figure...

·
Registered
3 Posts
lost cig lighter replacement

I mistakenly used a GPS 12v power adapter in the cig lighter port and apparently it is slightly larger than the HD cig lighter. So long story short I lost the lighter during a ride and looked at replacing it. 17 bucks for the replacement from HD, since I don't smoke I figured I'll just get the rubber cover mentioned in another post for $1 from HD. During installation you have to separate (remove) the fairing, I of course broke the head light bezel while doing this which cost another $9 from HD, again fairly cheap but the cursing and sweating to install the rubber cover made me think it would have been alot cheaper just to spend the $17.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts