Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - I just got the new shark back from the dealer after they installed the tuner and CFR slipons. This is my first CVO bike, so maybe I'm missing something...

First, a little history. I took delivery a few weeks back and the bike had a bad lifter. On my first ride, she started ticking and slapping a couple blocks from home. Dealer picked it up and replaced both lifters. Not happy that the engine has already had to be opened up, but I'm dealing with it.

Fast forward to this weekend. With the tuner work "complete", the engine now has what I see as a pronounced ticking noise between 1800-2000 RPM, as well as a dry chirping sound at idle. Dealer says "it's normal engine sounds".

I really don't want to be "that customer" but I've owned several HDs, 88 and 96CI, and none ever made these noises. It really bothers me that this new high-dollar engine does.

Is anyone else hearing anything like this out of their CVO? Do I need to take it back to the dealer or locate a better tuner tech? Do I still have a lifter or valve problem?:confused:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 09 CVO. My 110 makes a little more drivetrain noise compared the 80 cu/in EVO that I have sitting in the garage. I can't honestly say it makes the noises that you are describing at certain rpm. I have a Woods cam in my 110 with more lift and was told it would create a little bit more drivetrain noise.

I think for your piece of mind, I would get a second opinion from another dealer or good independent shop close by.

Did the dealer recommend you installing a tuner after putting on slip ons ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
easyrider - My dealer did recommend the tuner. I was leaning toward one of the PV tuners but the dealer gave the the voided warranty spill so I took the path of least resistance - I thought.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm am not a mechanic but speaking from experience... had an '01 that was making a "chirping noise". Ended up being the rollers on the cam. finally seized up and scratched the cam really bad.

My dad has an '11 CVO with the 110. He also had a knock in the engine with less than 1k miles. Dealer cracked the engine open, but he had them port the heads and replace the cams with no labor charges since they were already in there. Just a thought if you have to do it again. Saved him a ton in shop time. Been running great since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fast forward to this weekend. With the tuner work "complete", the engine now has what I see as a pronounced ticking noise between 1800-2000 RPM, as well as a dry chirping sound at idle. Dealer says "it's normal engine sounds".
I have the exact same ticking noise on my 13 CVO RGC as well. I was told it was "normal" I am glad I am not the only one....

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Not quite sure what all the noises are in mine. I need to have another person listen to it, especially when cold. Hell, it's under warranty ( I bought an extra 4 years) as much as I hate to say it, I'll keep riding it till it breaks. Might just be normal noises for these 110 engines though. dunno.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I also have a 2013 CVO, but i don't believe I really have any noises that you described, but someone with more experience listening to it, may hear something I do not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one with the ticking noise, but it really sucks that I never heard it on any if my previous Harleys. So I pay huge extra moulah for the flagship 110 and it sounds like it really needs oil... Something is wrong with this picture. :mad:

·
Registered
614 Posts
easyrider - My dealer did recommend the tuner. I was leaning toward one of the PV tuners but the dealer gave the the voided warranty spill so I took the path of least resistance - I thought.
Unless they installed the SEPST (Street Tuner) your in the same boat as if you used a TTS or a PV or any other tuner, the Performance Tuner per HD will void your warranty. Bottom line is most of it is up to the dealer the good ones cover problems . And if they sold you the Street Tuner you are still not properly tuned, your lean.

On the tick, if your not sure what you are hearing get a second opinion. Book a service appointment at another dealer and get it checked out! For the cost of a CVO Id want to be sure i dont have a lemon POS

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 13 Anniv. CVO RG SE and yes it does have a ticking noise but mines at idle ! It queits down going down the road !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the sweet sound of Harley's SE255 cams. They most all make some noise like a lifter clicking. You can install a football air intake cover and this reversion noise will be reflect back so it's not so bothersome. The other fix is to replace the smog cams with some that have a gentler nose profile. Just don't use the Andrews 57s because they are louder than the SE255's. You won't hear either of them cruising at 80mph :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the sweet sound of Harley's SE255 cams. They most all make some noise like a lifter clicking. You can install a football air intake cover and this reversion noise will be reflect back so it's not so bothersome. The other fix is to replace the smog cams with some that have a gentler nose profile. Just don't use the Andrews 57s because they are louder than the SE255's. You won't hear either of them cruising at 80mph :)

Interesting you mention the cams. I spoke with another dealer today that said the cam/lifter setup will make more noise, albeit should be consistent across the full rpm range. They added that they have on other 110's replaced the pushrods with adjustables that stopped most of the ticking noise as well as increased the power output of the engine. Anyone heard of this approach?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Interesting you mention the cams. I spoke with another dealer today that said the cam/lifter setup will make more noise, albeit should be consistent across the full rpm range. They added that they have on other 110's replaced the pushrods with adjustables that stopped most of the ticking noise as well as increased the power output of the engine. Anyone heard of this approach?
The 110 motor has larger valves that (as you would expect) weigh more. Then add to that the fast ramps of the 255 cam and you often wind up with more valve noise than other new HD motors. Sometimes the noises come and go depending on the RPM due to valve train harmonics. If you decide to use adjustable rods, change the lifters to Gaterman, Woods or S&S at the same time. They are much better quality and your best possibility to quiet your valve noise. Any increase in power gained by making this change will be so minor you'll never feel it, but it helps his sales by mentioning it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well guys add me to the list of disappointed owner because of the ticking noise of the 110. It occurs between approximately 2,000 and 3,000 RPM. You would think for $33,000 for a Custom Vehicle Operations produced motorcycle, they would have sorted this noise out. Don't they ride these bikes long terrm? My 2009 Vrod Muscle motor sounded efficient and powerfull across the whole RPM range.

I absolutely refuse to spend another penny to remove this drivetrain noise.

I had the 1,000 mile service done 2 weeks ago and had them look into the lifter tick and they said it was normal.

Other than this the CVO RG has been great. HD has a great unlimited mileage warranty for 2 years which I extended 4 years so I have peace of mind. I will ignore it and see if it has a long term effect on the motor.

Does anyone have high mileage on the 110 with stock setup?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys add me to the list of disappointed owner because of the ticking noise of the 110. It occurs between approximately 2,000 and 3,000 RPM. You would think for $33,000 for a Custom Vehicle Operations produced motorcycle, they would have sorted this noise out. Don't they ride these bikes long terrm? My 2009 Vrod Muscle motor sounded efficient and powerfull across the whole RPM range.

I had the 1,000 mile service done 2 weeks ago and had them look into the lifter tick and they said it was normal.

Other than this the CVO RG has been great. HD has a great unlimited mileage warranty for 2 years which I extended 4 years so I have peace of mind. I will ignore it and see if it has a long term effect on the motor.

Couldn't agree more regarding their big money bikes sounding like a POS oil leaker. Years ago I had an old car that had been run low on oil a few too many times. I miss the old classic car but not the clattering engine. Now I'm having flashbacks riding my scoot. I can't kick the urge to stop and add a couple quarts.

I bought the extended warranty too, but, since I "modified" the engine with the HDsupertuner and exhaust, I'm wondering what'll happen if I do have a claim down the road. Seems they have what they need to deny warranty if it has anything to do with the ticking, clattering noise. :mad:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine was chirping too. After they replaced the bent rear exhaust valve, the chirping and a lot of valve train noise is gone. Btw, the PV voided the warranty. Broke down 350 miles from home and was down for ten days. Just got it back yesterday. 2013 fltrxse2, bought 6/15/13. 7225 miles when the valve finally halted the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine was chirping too. After they replaced the bent rear exhaust valve, the chirping and a lot of valve train noise is gone. Btw, the PV voided the warranty. Broke down 350 miles from home and was down for ten days. Just got it back yesterday. 2013 fltrxse2, bought 6/15/13. 7225 miles when the valve finally halted the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

So - did your dealer throw you under the bus on the warranty? I've heard any tuner will "void the warranty" but most dealers choose to take care of their customers anyway.

I replaced my moco tuner a couple weeks back with the PV and I'm convinced the bike runs better and cooler. The chirping seems to have subsided but the valve clatter is as loud as ever. I put synthetic oil in it at the 1k service, but, based on what I've read here, I I'll go back to dino oil at the 5k.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me too!!!!

Well guys add me to the list I have a 2013 CVO SERG and I do have high mileage had it for 12 months and have 19,900 miles on it and I to have the pinging sound at rpm, I was told it was normal on the 110s. I am getting ready to put a super tuner on it. The bike has performed flawlessly did a 7000 mile round trip to idaho and back to South Carolina with no problems. I will ride it till it breaks and have them cover it under warranty!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a '12 Road Glide with the 103 and it makes the clicking noise. I sold an '08 with the 96 motor and never heard the clicking noise in it so I panicked also and had the dealer go through it. They all say its normal on the newer motors. If you read the first post in this forum and research it dealers cannot void your warranty for aftermarket parts. "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts