Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got it set at 60 degrees, the recommended starting point per the instructions.

Its all the way vertical, which might change after I get a chance to test ride it, but it seems about as tall as my 13" LRS Mako.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I got mine set at about 57 . The same as the base. Have you test rode it yet ?

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got mine set at about 57 . The same as the base. Have you test rode it yet ?
I havent. I'll try to get out tomorrow afternoon, looks like rain in the morning here.

I'm 5 foot 9.5, I had it at the tallest setting, but when I sat on it I was definitely looking through it so I slid it down a bit.

We shall see.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You'll have it all the way down by the end of your testing, with a huge smile on your face. And as for the angle, I've never measured mine. Never seems to be an issue, no matter what angle!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've got mine at about the same angle as the base too, and just look over the top of the shield. Don't be afraid to play with it a little to see what you like. I spent about 30 minutes one evening buzzing up & back on the interstate and made about 4 adjustments. Seemed pretty good & haven't touched again (except to tighten nuts occasionally :smile:). Everyone seems to set them slightly differently. When you get it close I predict you'll be very satisfied.

Good luck!

Ron

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, what size is the lock nut on the bottom that allows you to slide the shield up/down? Seems like 10MM is the only one that will fit.

I'm going to have to run out tomorrow morning to get a 3/8 spinner for the hex socket so I can tighten those lower 2 bolts once I get it set up the way I want it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have mine set same as base. Its all the way down.
I have 60,000 miles on this shield. Works great.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Ok, what size is the lock nut on the bottom that allows you to slide the shield up/down? Seems like 10MM is the only one that will fit.

I'm going to have to run out tomorrow morning to get a 3/8 spinner for the hex socket so I can tighten those lower 2 bolts once I get it set up the way I want it.
You just need to turn the black knob (2) and the window will slide up and down.

·
Registered
656 Posts
the older mounting bracketts had 4 holes to change angle of shield.they now have 1 set.you may have to drill 2 more to make shield more vertical.at least i did. with the current holes on new madstad it is about the same as a mako shield.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You just need to turn the black knob (2) and the window will slide up and down.
Right, I get that, but there is a nut/bolt on the pivot point as well, I want to snug that up. Seems like its a tad loose and might rattle.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Right, I get that, but there is a nut/bolt on the pivot point as well, I want to snug that up. Seems like its a tad loose and might rattle.
Gotya, 10 mm

Reactions: HellInABucket

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got mine at about the same angle as the base too, and just look over the top of the shield. Don't be afraid to play with it a little to see what you like. I spent about 30 minutes one evening buzzing up & back on the interstate and made about 4 adjustments. Seemed pretty good & haven't touched again (except to tighten nuts occasionally :smile:). Everyone seems to set them slightly differently. When you get it close I predict you'll be very satisfied.

Good luck!

Ron
I'm looking forward to trying it. Truthfully, I wasnt unhappy with my LRS Mako, but everyone was raving about this thing, and it makes my bike look even fuglier, so what the heck.

I had an opportunity to get one for a good price, so I figured I'd try it.

I will say this, the base and shield are nice and beefy!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've had mine on for two summers now and LOVE it. I move it around quite a bit depending on if I'm riding two up or not. When I switch from a two up to a solo seat makes a difference too. I haven't tried to stick with oner certain spot. I just go with what works, and usually know that highway means up all the way, and cruising backroads means I can lower it down. When it's hot out, I lower it all the way down to get some breeze. My wife loves it too, so that's a big bonus.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Once I got my 14.5 dialed in, tightened it up and haven't moved it since.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a 13 inch dark a few months ago from another forum member. Old Style and have it on an RGU. I tried 60, 55 and 57 degrees. 57 seemed right for all around riding. Mine is all the way up with the brackets reversed for the most height. Puts it about 9 inches high (as measured from radio). Perfect for me to look over as I am 6'. I am going to order a 16 inch clear for long trips with the wife as she was spoiled by my Goldwing. It had a Tulsa Xtra tall which went way over my head. I don't have any personal issues looking through a clear shield. Did it for half a dozen years on the Wing and my BMW before that.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I havent. I'll try to get out tomorrow afternoon, looks like rain in the morning here.

I'm 5 foot 9.5, I had it at the tallest setting, but when I sat on it I was definitely looking through it so I slid it down a bit.

We shall see.
I'm 5'10" and also have a 13". Mine is sitting at the lowest level so I see over it but the wind is deflected above my head. 58 degrees for me.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got out a bit and made some adjustments. A fair amount lower and about 58 degrees. This thing is damn nice. A bit more wind on my hands, I think, 12.5" apes. Is that what yall are experiencing?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Glad you like it :smile:. I always say mine is close to riding in my convertible - very civilized ride. My apes are lower so haven't noticed the hands thing.

Enjoy!

Ron

1 - 20 of 28 Posts