Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Super Moderator
"Scratching head", as when I called FM and inquired what I need to install my cam.....
They sold me lifters, cometic gasket kit and adjustable pushrods....
Guess Who Iam calling Monday morning after my 3rd pot of coffee馃槀
Let me know what they tell you, speak with Jamie if you can.

Reactions: Bruce00

Registered
The EPA is forcing Harleys hand. The EPA and the European EPA forced the death of the TC.
Harley rushed the M8 to market.
Air cooled engines are going the way of dinosaurs. Notice even Porsche is backing away from air cooled.....
But Hell Yeah. Iam excited to finally see a powerful bagger from HD. But knowing Harleys business practices with their Parts & Accessories..... well, you know and do you think they will let that go? Selling a bike that needs nothing, will cost $65,000 from HD馃ぃ
You're close. I bought a 2021 Road Glide Limited July 1st and had the dealer do just about everything possible to fix the flaws in the stock bike. I did the 131, the 8 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo, Legend shocks both front and back, and the heated/cooled seat. I spent 42k after all of this, but I think this would be less than a CVO, if they ever do a RG limited CVO.
While I know you can probably get more HP from an aftermarket set up, the 131 does haul ass. It's under warranty for 2 years, and I'm sure I will be going to another tuner when the warranty is up. In the meantime, the 131 is great setup for touring even though it is hotter and uses more gas than the 114.

Registered
Another thing to consider when considering the crate engine and the kit: Changing the engine will affect how the bike is titled, at least in Colorado. The non-matching numbers create issues because there are 2 identifying numbers now so usually the State will assign a new VIN that isn't a Harley number. They also do this with bikes that have been totaled, so when you go to sell it. It could affect the value of the bike.

Registered
Let me know what they tell you, speak with Jamie if you can.
Just got off the phone with Fuel Moto
Spoke at length with Paul, the dyno operator, about the heads. He told me they have done numerous big builds with the stock SE cnc'd heads, up to 160 hp, with no failures. When I told him, I would change valve springs if there was any concern, he said anything can happen, but if it was his bike he would run the heads out of the box.

Ofcourse with the black cloud Ive been living under most of my life,,,,,,,,,,

Super Moderator
Just got off the phone with Fuel Moto
Spoke at length with Paul, the dyno operator, about the heads. He told me they have done numerous big builds with the stock SE cnc'd heads, up to 160 hp, with no failures. When I told him, I would change valve springs if there was any concern, he said anything can happen, but if it was his bike he would run the heads out of the box.

Ofcourse with the black cloud Ive been living under most of my life,,,,,,,,,,
I told them what cam I鈥檇 be running. They said more than likely I shouldn鈥檛 have a problem, but to make a long story short they鈥檝e never seen a Wards spring fail, but they have seen a few SE springs fail. When I spoke with Moonshine Aaron flat out said he wouldn鈥檛 run the SE spring if they gave it to him free. The first thing they do in the 128/131 kits is change out the valve springs. I鈥檓 thinking I would probably be ok, but I already have the springs, so unless I change my mind in the next couple of days鈥︹︹ards it is.

Reactions: Bruce00

Registered
I told them what cam I鈥檇 be running. They said more than likely I shouldn鈥檛 have a problem, but to make a long story short they鈥檝e never seen a Wards spring fail, but they have seen a few SE springs fail. When I spoke with Moonshine Aaron flat out said he wouldn鈥檛 run the SE spring if they gave it to him free. The first thing they do in the 128/131 kits is change out the valve springs. I鈥檓 thinking I would probably be ok, but I already have the springs, so unless I change my mind in the next couple of days鈥︹︹ards it is.
You can't go wrong with anything Wards.
Guess it depends on what day you call FM......LOL

I've given more than a passing thought to sending my intake/throttle body and heads to Wards for his magic....but where do you draw the line? A Harley will never be fast unless you run nitromethane :D

Iam just gonna run mine, as is with the new cam/lifters until I blow it up. Which as much as its been living in the 6200-6500 range, it might or might not be soon.
Best of Luck with your build and safe travels

Registered
Just my 2cents ,alot of people will want to call bs because I work for a harley dealer, I'm the ginnie pig because I have a few dollars and like to play.
Believe me or not ,up to you and welcome to come see for yourself. I have a 2017 roadglide (107 to128) all harley kit with tts tuner, true dual krome works pipes harley xstreme flow air cleaner and se 10disk clutch. Dyno is 151tq 148hp at back tire and can ride it anywhere and is actually cooler running than stock ,miles to gallon still at 35 to 38. Reliable and I beat it hard build has 21k miles so far I ride 40 miles each way to work an home.i have cleaned the teeth from the belt 3 times in those miles
Also being the dummy I am I have a 20 roadglide with 131 kit tts tuner all harley except redshift cam and using 2 into 1 d&d pipe which is to loud lol, dyno at 160tq 152hp at back tire .almost 10k miles on build no problems as of yet on160 mile one way trips and 160 back ,gets beat regularly, it is a little warmer than stock but not bad at all ,my twin cam runs much hotter. Gets about 34mpg .. and yes che k crank run out before build. I'm not trying to promote harley parts and I get discounts since I work there so heck i use the parts and see what happens .. also I'm not hard core harley , I do have some crotch rockets but like I said just my 2cents and hope it sheds some light on things for people. Also harley does sell a warranty for built screaming eagles with after market tuners.
Every one makes some great parts..Sorry for the long post.

Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
Also harley does sell a warranty for built screaming eagles with after market tuners.
This is news to me. Everything I read is once you go aftermarket tuner warranty is Void.

I would agree with you that the SE parts are top notch and in line with the other aftermarket upgrades and the only reason people are disappointed with them is the tuner is holding them back. I have seen other Dyno's with SE parts with after market tuner that produce very close to S&S and others.

Registered
Take your bike to a good indy and have them build your 114 up. The cylinders will be stronger, the cam will be better, your oiling system will be bullet proof, and the tuner will actually tune the bike to its maximum potential. Harleys performance upgrades are adequate but leaves a ton of performance on the table to keep your warranty they handcuff you to there upgrades holding the warranty over your head.
This....

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

Registered
On the fence between a new crate 131 engine and a stage 4kit. Currently my RGS has 4000 Miles.
What are the pro/cons? What is the potential value of my current M8 114 If I sell it to offset some of the new 131?
Learn about Harley warranty at - www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8U4XsHyBug
Check out potential performance improvements at - www.dkcustomproducts.com
I spoke with someone who did the 131 upgrade to get the power, He was VERY disappointed in Harley after test riding an Indian Challenger. I ride a 2020 RGL with an aftermarket warranty and several DK Custom Products heat reduction and performance mods..

Registered
Just my 2cents ,alot of people will want to call bs because I work for a harley dealer, I'm the ginnie pig because I have a few dollars and like to play.
Believe me or not ,up to you and welcome to come see for yourself. I have a 2017 roadglide (107 to128) all harley kit with tts tuner, true dual krome works pipes harley xstreme flow air cleaner and se 10disk clutch. Dyno is 151tq 148hp at back tire and can ride it anywhere and is actually cooler running than stock ,miles to gallon still at 35 to 38. Reliable and I beat it hard build has 21k miles so far I ride 40 miles each way to work an home.i have cleaned the teeth from the belt 3 times in those miles
Also being the dummy I am I have a 20 roadglide with 131 kit tts tuner all harley except redshift cam and using 2 into 1 d&d pipe which is to loud lol, dyno at 160tq 152hp at back tire .almost 10k miles on build no problems as of yet on160 mile one way trips and 160 back ,gets beat regularly, it is a little warmer than stock but not bad at all ,my twin cam runs much hotter. Gets about 34mpg .. and yes che k crank run out before build. I'm not trying to promote harley parts and I get discounts since I work there so heck i use the parts and see what happens .. also I'm not hard core harley , I do have some crotch rockets but like I said just my 2cents and hope it sheds some light on things for people. Also harley does sell a warranty for built screaming eagles with after market tuners.
absolutely the kit can make good power just how much of the kit is left, HD is crippled by EPA new pipe & tuner is really needed. Then alot of shops dont dyno there bikes but just put a generic flash in.

But the 122rwhp had rates the 131 for is horrible und under what a good stage 2 should make.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Once the new motor is in the Road platform, the M8 and all previous versions will officially be a "geezer glide" as only old geezers will still swear an allegiance...and an occasional collector...Ride On!
But I am an old geeser 鈥:cool::)

Registered
But the 122rwhp had rates the 131 for is horrible
Geee, 120rwhp and 137rwtq, fully warrantied...... is horrible in a touring platform?
Who knew?

First thing you learn, building any performance vehicle is, "There is ALWAYS someone Faster"
Speed Costs......How fast do you wanna go

Registered
This is news to me. Everything I read is once you go aftermarket tuner warranty is Void.

I would agree with you that the SE parts are top notch and in line with the other aftermarket upgrades and the only reason people are disappointed with them is the tuner is holding them back. I have seen other Dyno's with SE parts with after market tuner that produce very close to S&S and others.
Many Harley dealers sell this aftermarket warranty program thats allows aftermarket parts/tuner
The Factory extended warrant lets you finance, interest free, their plan
The Aftermarket wants their money upfront (approx 2K) on the one I looked at

Registered
Geee, 120rwhp and 137rwtq, fully warrantied...... is horrible in a touring platform?
Who knew?

First thing you learn, building any performance vehicle is, "There is ALWAYS someone Faster"
Speed Costs......How fast do you wanna go
Yes it is, im not saying 120rwhp isnt enough im just saying you can get more with a good stage 2, warranty is nice but i would not trust harleys warranty, some shops offer warranty on there performance build.

Your paying the HD/SE tax on s stage 4 kit for performance of after market stage 2, for the benefit of warranty which may cover you.

Ive ridden a 131 kit in a RGS but had a different pipe & tuner in while the power delivery was very linear and nice it was just a bit meh for my liking.

My stage 3 RGS (107 to 117) makes more power/tq at 1/3rd the cost

My stage 4 FXLRS (128ci 150/150+) is a hell lot more aggressive bike to ride, i just felt like the 131 should be a bit more fun to ride.

The 131 can certainly be tickled for more and parts swapped over but then what the point of going a complete kit

If you are wanting 120/135 power levels thats a great ammount of power to have its just not the best way to go about it.

Im also fully aware HD is bound by the EPA ect ect and alot of other builds would not be legal.

Registered
Yes it is, im not saying 120rwhp isnt enough im just saying you can get more with a good stage 2, warranty is nice but i would not trust harleys warranty, some shops offer warranty on there performance build.

Your paying the HD/SE tax on s stage 4 kit for performance of after market stage 2, for the benefit of warranty which may cover you.

Ive ridden a 131 kit in a RGS but had a different pipe & tuner in while the power delivery was very linear and nice it was just a bit meh for my liking.

My stage 3 RGS (107 to 117) makes more power/tq at 1/3rd the cost

My stage 4 FXLRS (128ci 150/150+) is a hell lot more aggressive bike to ride, i just felt like the 131 should be a bit more fun to ride.

The 131 can certainly be tickled for more and parts swapped over but then what the point of going a complete kit

If you are wanting 120/135 power levels thats a great ammount of power to have its just not the best way to go about it.

Im also fully aware HD is bound by the EPA ect ect and alot of other builds would not be legal.
Comparing two bikes that are 200+lbs different in weight is an apple to oranges comparision

The HD 131 KIT, includes the basic building block, cylinders/pistons and cam, though its an EPA cam. What it also includes is cnc'd heads with oversize valves, is there room for improvment, sure, but they are a hell of alot better than stock heads.
Larger throttle body and intake, larger injectors. Fan assisted oil cooler.
When you add up everything included in the kit, its a great bang for the $$

Add an aftermarket cam and tuner and your 150 square

Your last sentance shows you know

Registered
the FXLRS and RGS are 2 very different bikes but still expected the 131 RGS to be a bit more aggressive.

If you are going to replace cam, tuner and pipes to get ~150 (which is about what it should be) then why start with HD/SE as warrently is void. Much better just starting with a cheaper S&S/fuel motor kit and be done with it.

The 131 kit leaves way to much on the table and offers stage 2 performance.

Registered
Because some people with new bikes want to keep their factory powertrain warranty valid, what's so hard to understand about that?
Your argument is moot.......

21 - 40 of 43 Posts