Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting the time (and help) this weekend to install my Wild One 14" apes. I bought the kit from Hill Country, then bought all chrome controls, new levers, braided cables, poly urethane bushings, Avon grips, etc. Basically everything will be new except the mirrors, only because I can't decide what mirrors I want to run.

I will take pics throughout the project and post them up Sunday or Monday. Can't wait for taller bars - these short bars suck and give me lots of shoulder pain.

As a side note, all of the stock stuff will be for sale afterwards if anybody is looking for stock stuff. If not, it all goes in a box in the corner of the shed!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I got 16" Burly Apes on my RGU since new. I'll never go without apes again. Too comfotrable and wayyyy too cool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i went with LA Choppers 18" and love em too. So much more comfortable now

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with all H-D chrome controls. On my last scoot I strayed away from H-D for that and the fitment was terrible and the quality seemed marginal. I'll post some pics of all the parts before install, then post shots of the install along the way was well as the finished product.

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
Cool! Looking forward to seeing em on. I love my 14s and ya cant beat those Hill Country guys....great folks.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You'll like the bars. Best thing I've done to the bike!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update to say the weekend was a total fail. My buddy never showed up Saturday (or called, or texted, or sent a note via carrier pigeon). I hate depending on others anyway, so I guess I'm gonna tackle this job on my own and just take my time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just a quick update to say the weekend was a total fail. My buddy never showed up Saturday (or called, or texted, or sent a note via carrier pigeon). I hate depending on others anyway, so I guess I'm gonna tackle this job on my own and just take my time.
I know how ya feel. Got done the same way with my bar install. Ended up doing it myself after reading the DIY thread. No sweat just be patient pulling the wires.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't mind seeing pictures when it's done. I'm trying to decide between the 14" apes or the 14" Outlaws.
I'll post up pics once I do the project. Didn't start this weekend either since we are quickly running out of nice riding days and I took advantage of this weekend to put more miles on it rather than work on it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got the bars installed! A couple of my buddies came over this past Saturday and we spent the day putting the new bars on. It took us about 12 total hours, over a case of beer, a little bit of soda, a couple of large pizzas, and quite a few breaks just to BS. It ended up being a good time all in all.

I bought the bars as a kit from Hill Country Custom Cycles. I've gotta say they had their shit together. They sent me everything I needed and everything they sent was perfect. Made for a great "kit" with no hassles. There were very little real issues with this install. I still find it a PIA to install the front fairing. Gives me grief every time (and yes I've read posts on how to and even watched a video). I opted for the polyurethane bushing and am glad I did. The handlebars feel very solid and tight. Changing all of the switch housings was another pain. It took lots of patience and when one of us got frustrated the other took over.

The only 'real' issue was with the Avon air soft grips. As you will see in the pictures, the install isn't quite complete. I called Avon today and they explained that their tolerances are very tight on their grips and don't allow for much free play. They claim that many after-market bars can run a couple thousands over spec causing the throttle grip to stick and not return like it should. They have run into this many times and they are sending me (at no cost) a throttle grip that runs a little larger than normal to account for this. It all makes sense to me at this point, but we will see once the new grip arrives.

I haven't taken the scoot for a ride yet, but looking forward to some seat time this weekend. If anybody is thinking of doing this, feel free to ask any questions. There is a lot of pride in working on your own scoot, but it does take patience and know-how. If you don't think you can handle the job, it would be well worth the $500-$700 it might cost to outsource it. Now that I've written a book, on to the pictures!

Crappy H-D trim (yes, I replaced it)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
593 Posts