Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered 14" Renegade handlebars from J&P for my 2020 Road Glide Special. People have said that they have installed them on their own with all stock wiring and brake/clutch lines. I went in to Harley and they say I have to add extensions. Anyone have any experience in this?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
14" KST Straight Jackets on two different bikes. 1 a 19 and the other a 20, both RGS. Nothing but bars.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had the same input from dealer. I went with 12's. But that was my initial preference, so it just helped my decision. Curious as to what the final outcome is since you are going 14

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same input from dealer. I went with 12's. But that was my initial preference, so it just helped my decision. Curious as to what the final outcome is since you are going 14
The guy I talked to at JP cycles said I would need extensions, but followed it up with "it CAN be done, but you're pushing the limits of safety." Whatever the hell that means.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The guy I talked to at JP cycles said I would need extensions, but followed it up with "it CAN be done, but you're pushing the limits of safety." Whatever the hell that means.
He probably means things will be tight and potentially stretched, referring to the lines and harnesses. I installed 14" F47 Rivera bars on my '19 and put new lines on. The stock ones were pretty snug and this was with things rerouted and no cable ties to keep it from moving. After evaluating it while riding I just threw in the towel and replaced the lines, it's a safety move at that point

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will be insralling 14 Renegrades on Wendesday. I bought longer brake and clutch likes.

Reactions: Big Trev

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Many is us have installed 14’s w/o extensions. It requires cutting some zip ties holding the cables and possibly removing your tray holding wires inside the nazelle.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Same as Craig here, F47 14 inch bars with no extensions needed, 10,000 miles later and zero issues.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just ordered 14" Renegade handlebars from J&P for my 2020 Road Glide Special. People have said that they have installed them on their own with all stock wiring and brake/clutch lines. I went in to Harley and they say I have to add extensions. Anyone have any experience in this?
Of course the dealer is going to tell you that. What did you expect they would say, they sell parts. If you remove the wires from the wire caddy under the speedo the wires will reach.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The guys are spot on. I did an install on my 2019 Road glide and just did bars. Remove the cable caddie and cut the zip ties. Plenty of slack. If you feel it’s safer then you should do it but it can be done without issues

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
You can get wire extension for around $40, aftermarket - H-D just a bit more, just makes it easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Factory 47 14" Legacy bars. The clutch cable is taut, not exactly tight. There is a little slack after clearing all the zipties and pulling the cable from the caddy- enough to allow for turning the bars, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with 2-3 inches more.

I guess that'll happen when I change to braided cables in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can get wire extension for around $40, aftermarket - H-D just a bit more, just makes it easier.
Electrical wire intensions, or is that brake and cable extensions too? From what I hear, wires are good, it's the cables that will be stretching to fit.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Factory 47 14" Legacy bars. The clutch cable is taut, not exactly tight. There is a little slack after clearing all the zipties and pulling the cable from the caddy- enough to allow for turning the bars, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with 2-3 inches more.

I guess that'll happen when I change to braided cables in the future.
^^Exactamundo!^^^

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Electrical wire intensions, or is that brake and cable extensions too? From what I hear, wires are good, it's the cables that will be stretching to fit.
That is just the electrical wire extensions, I should have stated that. For me, I used the wire extensions as I wanted to keep the electrical wiring tray they fit in, in place.

Reactions: Big Trev

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Why hack it up? Buy what's necessary to keep it as designed in lieu fs a Hack Job.
Cause it’s not a hack job. You don’t need to change anything. Kinda like changing oil more often then needed. It’s a waste of money. Feel free to waste your money if you want.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts