Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the title says it pritty well. Iv read on a few posts about guys putting 14s and even 16s on there 2015 without extending anything. I just purchased a set of 14" Malo's.

Is this true, do the wires and cables fit?

If you were to do it again, is there any suggestions, or extensions you may have purchased ahead of time?

My goal is to have everything I need ready, and set for 2 weeks from now when my bars are estimated to be in. I'd all goes well, I'll snap a bunch of pics, and measurements, and make a write up on it :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just did 14" malo bars on my 15 road glide special. I used Namz 4" extended control wire extensions for the left and right side controls (they are sold as a set for about 45$) and simply plug right into your existing harnesses. Definitely going to need that little extra wire to make a good clean connection under the speedo and 4" was perfect. For the throttle by wire I purchased the 4" extension and it is not plug and play. you must pull the pins from the connector plug and each of the 6 wires fit into a connector on the extension wire the heat shrink tube holds each one together. Once you pull off the throttle grip, you will pull the grip sensor out the end of the handlebar to reach a connector so the extra 4" will be needed to reassemble. *** There is a plug and play harness for the throttle by wire that replaces the entire harness and is good up to 20" bars and no pulling the pins. Clutch hose is as simple as cutting a zip tie under the speedo and gently pulling some slack from under the tank left side. the brake hose is a little tighter but plenty there (I rerouted the wire coming from the ignition cylinder a little to keep it from binding against the brake hose).

I was able to do the entire job in 4 hours even with pulling the pins and rebuilding the tbw plug.

If I were to do this again I would use the:
4" plug n play Namz control extensions
plug and play Namz TBW for up to 20" bars

·
Registered
163 Posts
This video helped me get the nerve to do it myself. The street glide is much more difficult though, you will not need to pull the outer fairing all the connectors are simply sitting under the speedo guages.

Handle bar swap 2014 street glide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvOmEvXQRs

Ignition switch cap removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKo7zbiSBc
(hint remove the two screws from speedo pod before locking the column)
I did the whole install with the neck still locked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just did 14" malo bars on my 15 road glide special. I used Namz 4" extended control wire extensions for the left and right side controls (they are sold as a set for about 45$) and simply plug right into your existing harnesses. Definitely going to need that little extra wire to make a good clean connection under the speedo and 4" was perfect. For the throttle by wire I purchased the 4" extension and it is not plug and play. you must pull the pins from the connector plug and each of the 6 wires fit into a connector on the extension wire the heat shrink tube holds each one together. Once you pull off the throttle grip, you will pull the grip sensor out the end of the handlebar to reach a connector so the extra 4" will be needed to reassemble. *** There is a plug and play harness for the throttle by wire that replaces the entire harness and is good up to 20" bars and no pulling the pins. Clutch hose is as simple as cutting a zip tie under the speedo and gently pulling some slack from under the tank left side. the brake hose is a little tighter but plenty there (I rerouted the wire coming from the ignition cylinder a little to keep it from binding against the brake hose).

I was able to do the entire job in 4 hours even with pulling the pins and rebuilding the tbw plug.

If I were to do this again I would use the:
4" plug n play Namz control extensions
plug and play Namz TBW for up to 20" bars
Good stuff, thanks brother. I will buy the extensions then for sure. How long did it take for your Malo's to come in?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just had the 12" grip height Bad Seed bars put on, which pitch up to 14" rise then swing down for a 12" grip height - had the dealer do it because I swapped out a lot of other stuff at the same time. I supplied the plug & play Namz 20" TBW cable and two 4" Namz Canbus extensions to give plenty of room to run the wires. They ended up not being used. So, if anyone needs, I have those new in the package at a fair discount from the online price - no use for 'em now. Also have the Namz 4" TBW extension kit new in package.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Good to know Ya didn't need them on a 14" bar swap. I'm planning on getting 16" bars. Wondering if anyone can chime in to see if I'd need wire ext. or added brake/clutch line. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Subscribed to watch the install. I am thinking about the 12" Malos. Im a a little vertically challenged. I had 12" yaffe monkey bars on my 13 street glide and they were perfect. Debating if I want to attempt this install myself.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The twin peaks bars require a 1" riser for $100...researched that because I have 16" twin peaks on my wide glide. You can get the one inch riser from LA Choppers website for the 2015 sharks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another 2 weeks and my bars should be in, aloung with, Namz 4" Extensions, Namz TBW Extension, Arlen Ness Grips, and Levers. I purchased the extensions now, this way when the bars are in, I can complete the install without an hick ups. Hopfully I will be able to share some valuable information with my brothers on how the install went. Will be trying the install without the extensions first, in order to hopfully clear the air. Seems like a 50/50 split. I am not the type of person to say "Good enough", in my opinion if the wires or cables are "Stretched", they do not fit. Like everyone else, when I'm spending this much money and effort, I feel the need to convince myself that the job was performed correctly and efficiently, my main reason for installing myself. I could not imagine paying (in some cases, iv heard) $1000 for the dealer to install $400 bars :) Hope to have some info soon, aloung with a nasty set of 14" Malo's on my glide ;-)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Another 2 weeks and my bars should be in, aloung with, Namz 4" Extensions, Namz TBW Extension, Arlen Ness Grips, and Levers. I purchased the extensions now, this way when the bars are in, I can complete the install without an hick ups. Hopfully I will be able to share some valuable information with my brothers on how the install went. Will be trying the install without the extensions first, in order to hopfully clear the air. Seems like a 50/50 split. I am not the type of person to say "Good enough", in my opinion if the wires or cables are "Stretched", they do not fit. Like everyone else, when I'm spending this much money and effort, I feel the need to convince myself that the job was performed correctly and efficiently, my main reason for installing myself. I could not imagine paying (in some cases, iv heard) $1000 for the dealer to install $400 bars :) Hope to have some info soon, aloung with a nasty set of 14" Malo's on my glide ;-)
I've changed a bunch of bars myself...so if you need any help lemme know. This set up should be a breeze though and you shouldn't have any problems. Its insane what the stealerships charge...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had the 12" grip height Bad Seed bars put on, which pitch up to 14" rise then swing down for a 12" grip height - had the dealer do it because I swapped out a lot of other stuff at the same time. I supplied the plug & play Namz 20" TBW cable and two 4" Namz Canbus extensions to give plenty of room to run the wires. They ended up not being used. So, if anyone needs, I have those new in the package at a fair discount from the online price - no use for 'em now. Also have the Namz 4" TBW extension kit new in package.
What are the NAM part numbers for what you have, and how much are you asking?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.