Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on another forum there is a post about a guy wanting to go with 12 or 14. The guys are telling him he can't even put 12 on without new clutch cable and brake line. I could understand needing wire extensions needed if internally wiring. I know ive heard of people going to 14 by rerouting the clutch cable to other side of Speedo or something like that. Its got me second guessing stuff I'm looking at. I've got 09 he's got 2013. Was gonna go with 14 inch apes with 32 inch width. Thanks for the help. I have directed him this way but no sign of him yet.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been following that thread, and there are as many opinions as facts. I have 12" Yaffe's and have not felt the urge to go taller. Everyone has their on view of it and it's ok. My bike is a '15 so the need for extensions is something I cannot answer. Sounds like he got word from KST so I would say go for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Swomack. What way did you have to route the clutch cable to make it longer?
I figured kst wouldn't steer him totally wrong. When I dealt with them for the mayhems on the train they were awesome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im the other guy. I should have been posting here all along. I don't come here very often though. But, I llike you have see several other people state that they successfully installed 12 inch bars without extending wiring or clutch or brake lines on a 2013 or older RG. I my self contacted KST Kustoms about the bars I was looking at and they also stated the 12 inch bars could be installed without extiending anything. That seem to hurt some others feeling over on HDforum. If its still wise to do extensions even with 12 inch bars, that fine by me, im just looking for people that have experience first hand.

I just want to get a straight answer. Is it possible to do 12 inch bars with out extending anything or not. Honestly, im probably leaning toward 14 inch anyway and already plan on the necessary modifications.

The other problem have is im getting a lot of "facts" from people with 2015 and up road glides. It is my understanding that the wiring for Rushmore Road glides is totally different that 2013 and under road glides. So please, Unless you can comment with knowledge about 2013 and under RG wiring/cables save it for another person. I don't have a rushmore.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Some of you have rushmore and some don't. I think you all are getting details mixed up..

The OP and the other guy are on 09 and 13s. Not 15 and later. So your details do not apply.

This applies to pre Rushmore bikes.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a 2013 RGC with 11" bars, and i did not have to extend anything. I'm pretty sure that anything taller than 12" bars will need extensions on wiring and cables. I'll be going with 14" bars in the near future.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think it depends on the brand. One companies 12" are different from others, so one could work and other dont. The company that sells the bars should be able to tell you I would think.

Or just do the extensions and dont trust what anybodys says and be safe.

I did 14" carlinis and I extended all. I would rather do that and not have to worry about if they didnt and have to tear it apart to redo it.

Course my $ 0.02....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it depends on the brand. One companies 12" are different from others, so one could work and other dont. The company that sells the bars should be able to tell you I would think.

Or just do the extensions and dont trust what anybodys says and be safe.

I did 14" carlinis and I extended all. I would rather do that and not have to worry about if they didnt and have to tear it apart to redo it.

Course my $ 0.02....
Hey, what length clutch and brake line did you buy?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Besides, if you keep the stock cables, the result is..... you have stock cables.

Yech!

My strategy is always to buy the most comfortable bars and the cables that are required.

I would not be re-routing, stretching, etc just to keep the stock garden hoses.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey, what length clutch and brake line did you buy?
Hmmm... I will have to look. The clutch cable that the store I bought it all from gave me the wrong one, so I had to switch it out. The catalog part # was wrong. I can check this weekend for you. I might just measure the cables. Take less time.

Dan

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
When I put 10" monkey bars on my 2012 I did not need to extend. I might have gotten away with 12" if I re routed.

As others have mentioned, pre Rushmore and Rushmore's are different.

When I went to 16", I did extensions and new cables. I don't 14" could be done with stock.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
13 FLTRX with apes

I installed Wild 1 WO612 bars with no extensions, internally wired. had to re-route the clutch cable at first, installed a +4 cable when I swapped the exhaust later on. The bars are near shoulder level with the stock seat. I am 6'

1 - 20 of 29 Posts