Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, it's another Monkey Bar thread. I think posting about a Monkey Bar install is a rite of passage in terms of the relief one feels when they're finally done dealing with these demonic angled pieces of steel.

I had all the typical issues you've read about with the TBW. Ended up just getting the Screamin' Eagle version with out the green connector. I can't tell you how many times I had the wires through only to be tripped up by that evil green connector. The whole unit is now hanging in my garage where it will reside forever.

Buy yourself some decent chain from the hardware store to pull the wires through. Not the 10lb rated stuff, you want something stronger. After breaking chain about 9 times (not exaggerating) I finally picked up some 100lb chain.

Clutch/Brakes went off with out a hitch. My lowers arrived last night as well so I threw those on. All that's left now is to ditch the stock mickey mouse mirrors.

I'm just glad it's over. Thanks for letting me vent! I'm a little traumatized, but the nice ride in to work this morning definitely helped. :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
They do look great!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks sweeeet! Doing same mod on my Ultra if and when they ever get here. Do you have ABS and if so how was the cable swap out and bleeding of the system?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone I appreciate the kind words. Today during my lunch hour I will be eating miles instead of a greasy burger!

PAVEMENTPILOT -- no I do not have ABS, believe it or not I was shopping for a bike with out ABS and Security; I only wanted Cruise.

My friend however does have ABS. He installed the brake lines and then went to the dealer to have them bled. I have seen a few posts on this forum as to do-it-yourself ABS brake jobs. If I stumble across any of them I'll PM them to you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks everyone I appreciate the kind words. Today during my lunch hour I will be eating miles instead of a greasy burger!

PAVEMENTPILOT -- no I do not have ABS, believe it or not I was shopping for a bike with out ABS and Security; I only wanted Cruise.

My friend however does have ABS. He installed the brake lines and then went to the dealer to have them bled. I have seen a few posts on this forum as to do-it-yourself ABS brake jobs. If I stumble across any of them I'll PM them to you.
What was the added clutch and brake line length you used. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice!! That's the bar length I should have purchased. I thought the 10" model would be alright but found out soon they were too short for comfort. I was used to 16" apes on my old Roadking.

Another deciding factor was not having to purchase longer length cables, extension wires to save on cost. I just ordered another set of taller apes, definitely a costly mistake on my part.

Glad you did it right the first time!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Looks great. The ABS brake bleed and hydraulic clutch are giving me second thoughts. Closest dealer is an hour away. Not sure I want to risk going that far on mushy front brakes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. It's definitely more comfortable now.

What was the added clutch and brake line length you used. Thanks
When I get home I'll try to remember to check the boxes for my cables. I'll tell you though that the brake line was way too long. Could have been at least 2-3 inches shorter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks everyone. It's definitely more comfortable now.

When I get home I'll try to remember to check the boxes for my cables. I'll tell you though that the brake line was way too long. Could have been at least 2-3 inches shorter.
Thanks. i will tell you trying to decide on handlebars, cables, exhaust, makes my head spin. LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. i will tell you trying to decide on handlebars, cables, exhaust, makes my head spin. LOL
Sorry it took so long. The brake line is labeled +8

It's Drag Specialties Part # 1741-2627

I would go with a +5 probably if I knew better. But I bought this as a "kit" so it kind of all came together and I wasn't about to have my bike down while waiting for a replacement cable.

Oddly enough my clutch cable is also labeled +8 and that's about perfect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts