Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will give my newly installed kw 14 sport flare a 10 for appearance---however im only going to rate it a 6 for performance due to the distortion in the curves and the vibration of shield..wind deflection is alot better that stock but could be a little better . Im considering a freedom shield and would like some feedback from anyone who has tried one. I like that the freedom is about a 16'th of an inch thicker in material but im only going by website. Also seems to look good, not as good as kw but will give that aspect a little slack if it performs better. Any input would be appreciated ( i know, i know, i know----madstad right ? Not gonna happen til i see one in person and decide if i can get past the look......lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Klock Werks Sport Flare. Yes, there is a ton of distortion. My question is why are you trying to look through it. Perhaps it is too tall for you. I am 6-1 and I look well over it. Don't even notice the distortion. You are not supposed to look through the shield, but over it.

As for vibration, mine vibrates a bit at idle, but not a speed. If yours vibrate all of the time, maybe you have installed it improperly?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2015 CVO Road Glide. I'm using a 2013 Hammock seat so it drops me down and moves me back a little from stock. I'm 6'3" and am running a 12 inch Freedom shield with light grey tint. The Shield is in fact thicker than stock. It is very rigid and has nearly no distortion. I think they are great Shields. I consider my bike a touring bike. I don't try to look cool by running a shield that is to short. I set mine up so that the top of the shield comes to the tip of my nose. The curve gives you a little more of a pocket of air. I'm very happy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I run a 16" Freedom Shield and we love it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a KW pro touring windshield and a freedom shield and I like my freedom shield better. It's thinker with almost no distortion and no vibration. I get some vibration at the sides with the KW windshield.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I tried a wind vest and have a 14" Freedom Shield Love it 6' tall I have a bolstered Ultra seat on my RGS so I sit a little higher. Ash stays on my Cigar....

You can kind of make out in this shot.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm 6'-1", just put a FS 10" on my 15' RGS. The Mustang seat I have moves me back and lower. Wind stream is at the top of my helmet, no buffeting, can hear the radio much better. Tested @ 80 mph on I-75. Every bit as good as the Clearview I had on my 04' RG.

·
Registered
23 Posts
KLock Werks will have a 9" Flare available soon. It's short, but for those that lowered the rear, it might work. Looking over it, should not be a problem. They are taking orders.
I'm still on the fence, Pittsburgh weather is just turning now. The stock shield is OK for my 5'9" height, but the radio volume suffers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im originally from the south hills. Where about in pgh are you from?---by the way, today i lost my fight to preserve the looks of my 15 glide and ordered the much talked about madstad - couldnt decide between the 11" and the 13" so i had them make me a 12" dark----i too am 5'9"

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went with KW sport flare. Works well but will try a 9 inch as soon as a demo shows up. I am 6'2" with a lowered bike and seat. No problems with vision just like the looks of the 9. Just hope it isn't to short. Still need the chief to tell me what she thinks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm riding out of Monroeville, PA. I'm looking forward to demo the KW Sport and Sport short.
I think M&M Leather has the Sport. In the Sport I like the Dark tint look, but I don't like looking thru Dark tint at night, if I will be looking thru it at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know that M&M does have the sport in dark tint because I had just returned the one I bought there. ( yes , they took it back with no issues) nothing wrong with it just was not the perfect shield for me. at 5'9" I had absolutely no trouble seeing over it but for some reason my eyes were drawn to look at the distorted curves and the wind deflection was not too good, radio washed out after 45 mph. but it did look awesome on my black denim rgs. To my surprise, the madstad I custom ordered yesterday had shipped at noon today so it wont be long til I can give you my opinions on it as well as take some good pics so you can see it on a 15 rg. I myself am nervous about the look but remain optimistic. fyi--the madstad is a quick release system. if you take the shield off you can ride with just the mounting shield which looks like a blacked out shorty shield.( im guessing it to be 6") then when you want full protection just clamp on the outer shield and off you go. just food for thought

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know that M&M does have the sport in dark tint because I had just returned the one I bought there. ( yes , they took it back with no issues) nothing wrong with it just was not the perfect shield for me. at 5'9" I had absolutely no trouble seeing over it but for some reason my eyes were drawn to look at the distorted curves and the wind deflection was not too good, radio washed out after 45 mph. but it did look awesome on my black denim rgs. To my surprise, the madstad I custom ordered yesterday had shipped at noon today so it wont be long til I can give you my opinions on it as well as take some good pics so you can see it on a 15 rg. I myself am nervous about the look but remain optimistic. fyi--the madstad is a quick release system. if you take the shield off you can ride with just the mounting shield which looks like a blacked out shorty shield.( im guessing it to be 6") then when you want full protection just clamp on the outer shield and off you go. just food for thought
Oddly enough I will be looking at your returned smoked Klock Werks on Sunday. I would like to try it at speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW!----It is a crazy, small world.... looks like its gonna go from the 30's to the high 60's in the late morning so it will be a good day to try it out. I'm planning on at least a couple hundred miles tomorrow, wish I had my new shield to try but its not here yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts