Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the market for a taller winter shield, and was on the HD Website reading the reviews on the 15.5” and 9” shields, and they both get pretty bad reviews. Many people say there is a lot of distortion. - My question are:

First:

Is the stock RGU shield the same as the 15.5” in the P&A online catalog?If so, is there clarity issues?
I haven’t saw any negative comments on here from new RGU owners so I’m thinking maybe its different.

Second,

I need to replace winter shield do do my seat change. . . Went with the low pro solo seat and now the top of my KW 12” pro touring is right in my line of site. With the shape and the curve at the top, it makes it too difficult to have the view of the road I like.

Looking for feedback from those running the low pro (CVO Style Seat) and an ultra shield as whether there is interference with line of sight. (I’m 6’ with a 3” inseam, if that helps)

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I can comment on the lo profile solo seat and the stock low RGS shield. The shield is worthless. I'm 5'10" I had the 14" Klockwerks Sportflare and it was perfect. Dont know about the stock height vs. the P&A shield.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmmmm, Not much feedback.

I will guess that the one offered by HD in the parts and accessories catalog is different than what comes stock on the RGU’s and the CVO RGU since there are different part numbers.

RGU (17+): 57400305
CVO RGU (15-16): 57400262
P&A catalog: 57400281

Surdyke has the stock shields for around $135/$136, and most used ones on eBay are similar prices (Unless they are scratched).

Would like some feedback before I buy one. If I could find a cheap-o on eBay, I would give it a try, but not willing to spend for a new one Incase it has too much distortion.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The MoCo has demo shields at the dealership that you can bolt on your bike and test ride them. I tried them several years ago and didn't notice any difference from stock. YMMV.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
I’m working from memory, but I believe the OEM shield is a 14” which rises about 5.5-6” above the center vent on the fairing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The MoCo has demo shields at the dealership that you can bolt on your bike and test ride them. I tried them several years ago and didn't notice any difference from stock. YMMV.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk
Not a fan of the Harley shields either...I have an LRS Thresher and like it but I may get a Freedom next too

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Most of us have went with an aftermarket shield. I've had a KW 14" and a LRS shield now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I suggest you go the Freedom Shields website. The choices are numerous, the quality is superior, the customer service is perfect. Get in touch with the owner, John, he can guide you through the choices. You can buy multiples, and return the ones you don't want.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys!

I found a member on the other forum selling a stock RGU shield, that was only used from the ride home from the dealership, supposed to be in new condition. - Got it for a really good price, so I’m going to give it a whirl.

I really do like my HD 6” contour shield, and will run that if this one is goofy with distortions.

I Like the lowness of the contour, It takes away just enough wind, but makes you feel like you are on a motorcycle. Air gets me just below my neck, and have zero buffeting. Worst case I’’ hate the RGU shield, and I ditch it and put my 6 back on. But just thinking some extra air deflection on cold riding days should be welcomed. Just hoping It’s not in my line of sight.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I’m a madstad guy - so I’ll throw it out there. You mentioned line of sight a couple of times. Madstad does give you adjustability if that stays an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts